Need UK dedicated server advice

Hello,

For a project I am involved with, we are expecting rather large amounts resource usage in the future so we're looking to upgrade to a higher end server before we launch to eliminate any downtime that may happen in the upcoming months as the site grows. I know this may seem like overkill to some but this is how we'd like to do it.

We're looking for good UK based hosting in the London region with at least quad core cpu, 8Gb of ram, 500Gb+ of hard drive space, 1000Gb+ of bandwidth, offsite backups, and a good reputation.

We also have an iPhone application underway so I guess some sort of peering with O2 would really help keep things low latency from the start.

Can anyone make any suggestions of good places to start looking? (Dedi hosts feel free to PM me on these forums)
    WLKNS.co - A collection of my programmer thoughts

Most of the UK data centers will peer with O2 if not all of them.
    Have a look at rapidswitch and openhosting.
    Also OVH is in france but have dedicated transit lines to the UK and also peer with O2, best thing though is the rock bottom pricing on decent hardware.
    - Buying up websites, side-projects and companies - PM Me! -

Are you going to need the servers managed ?

That will be a big part in your decision.

Not sure if other members are allowed to PM you offers though.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

Oh, i thought they just couldn't reply ? No, will be self managed but need reliability in the host (uptime & hardware)

Okay, so you want a tailored solution presumably flexible enough to add servers / services as you go forward.

I'm not sure on the pm'ing, hopefully a mod will clear it up.

Is the platform Linux or Windows ?

Any panels or other software ?

You will probably want the hard drives in RAID and as it's a fairly beefy server, are you or your client happy for contracts or pre-payment (both help reduce the price)?
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

Oops, forgot to mention that, Linux based preferably Debian (64Bit because of RAM requirements.) No panels of additionally priced software, but more than one IP would be nice with RDNS.

I can't see prepayment being too much of a problem, although, it won't be anything over 3 maybe 6 months.

Long time arkin!

What sort of budget do you have in place for this?

Okay, well nothing too out of the ordinary but I'd also recommend getting RAID on the hard drives.

Now you just need to get in contact with some UK hosts and get some quotes.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

I personally used RapidSwitch for almost a year now. So far so good and their support is very responsive.
    We Have Generated Over 7 Million cPanel Backups Come Dance Together With Us Y'all!
    Offer Your Own Backup Hosting Service - SiteAutoBackup.Com (Private Label / WHMCS Ready)
    WebHostingBusinessBook.Com | YouTube.com/WebHostingTutorial | NowOpenOnline.Com

We use rapidswitch for one of our current servers and whilst we are happy, they are more expensive for the kind of build we are looking for.

Any other recommendations, budget has not been confirmed yet, wanted to shop around a bit, but not entirely sure where to look

I would recommend UK2. Out of all of the UK networks we have tested out, they seem to have the best connectivity to other countries and their own country.
    Karl Stallknecht
    Slable :: powerful solutions. right price.
    Hosting | I.T. Solutions | Voice :: Cloud Telecom | Entertainment
    Phone: (703) 445-3391

Poundhost are probably one of the best dedicated server providers in the UK along with Rapidswitch. Take a look. http://poundhost.co.uk/ - You can upgrade the RAM in them for a one-off setup fee.

Quote Originally Posted by SeedBit View Post
    Poundhost are probably one of the best dedicated server providers in the UK along with Rapidswitch. Take a look. http://poundhost.co.uk/ - You can upgrade the RAM in them for a one-off setup fee.

Do you have a server with them already?
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    Do you have a server with them already?
    No, I have a VPS on a host that uses their servers and have seen tons of recommendations for them before.

Their website isn't the mosst friendly (poundhost) but I will try give them a call get something custom priced up, same with UK2.