Thread: slicehost

slicehost

I have not seem many topic on slicehost.

Does any one here use them and are they any good. like in speed uptime etc.

I assume http://www.slicehost.com/ is the website. The packages look a bit high but reasonable. I see they are a RackSpace company (see footer).

I actually never seen this host on WebHostingTalk or any other web related forum so I can not provide you with my 'personal' experience but I do suggest you use search engines. By doing this you are obtaining unique information that you might otherwise have missed.

I personally like to look up the domain name information and see when the domain was purchased or I will e-mail / call the person on the domain information. This is my own way of researching the company. I hope I've been hopeful. Best of luck!
    We develop brand identity for the web.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Services ~ Custom Web Design, Branding & Identity, Development, Hosting & more!
    Portfolio ~ Websites, User Interfaces, Widgets & more!

I think maybe the reason you see few reviews here is because things rarely break. It's a lot harder to get people to post positive reviews, as opposed to complain about an issue. If you look around the web you'll find plenty of developer type people that have moved and praise SliceHost.

From a personal experience, I've been with them for almost 3 years now, and could not be happier. Yes, there are cheaper solutions, that still get good comments, see Linode, but I'm just not really interested in switching from something that works.

redvps:~$ uptime
    up 763 days

Good luck with your search

Wow, that uptime is great. I've had a few people ask about SliceHost, and honestly, it seems like a great company to host with. I was thinking about signing up to do dev work before I decided to purchase my own server.

Slicehost is a great company but they are not for everyone. Slice is more of a professional's only company so if you know what you are doing and never need assistance this is the host for you. If you are new or intermediate to hosting you will want to look elsewhere. The core of slicehost is professionals needing a box that is reliable.

Searching just these forums I found 22 posts on Slicehost that would give you a good feel for them.

The are unmanaged so you can not expect the same types of support or hand holding that you would get at a fully managed host, having said that my experience with them showed that they are willing to go above and beyond what the typical "unmanaged" host does. Their forums are also one of the best out there for info, discussions and howto's.

From my point of view they are one of the most highly reguarded unmanaged hosts.

They used to be amongst the top 5 VPS providers in the market. Until the acquisition happened...

Regards
    Last edited by UNIXy; 08-22-2009 at 01:55 AM.
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    [ cPanel Varnish Nginx Plugin ] - Enhance LiteSpeed and Apache Performance
    www.unixy.net - Los Angeles | Houston | Atlanta | Rotterdam
    Love to help pro bono (time permitting). joe > unixy.net

I have used both linode and slicehost. They are both great. Slicehost has a chat room manned by staff 24/7 and great tutorials written by a staffer "pickled onion". Slice has a good control panel with backups available (at a cost), resizing, automatic upgrade/downgrade of slice, remote console terminal rdns control, etc. Slicehost uses only 64 bit distributions offers fewer distros than linode. If you leave slice, you don't get a refund. You get a credit which is applied if you rejoin.

Linode has recently added tutorials, has an active irc channel (usually a staffer is present), great control panel with flexibility to run your own kernel (pv-grub),rdns, remote console terminal, cloning, multiple data-centers, probably faster hardware (quad core xenons vs quad core opterons), and an edge on pricing. Linode gives you a prorated credit to your credit card if you cancel or if you like you can keep the account open with no linode and have the unused credit available if you want to create a new linode.

I consider both the top of the heap when it comes to a vps.

Oh yes, I should add if your a FreeBSD person, rootbsd (rootbsd.net) is very similar to both of these providers and is excellent.
    Last edited by fbroce; 08-22-2009 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UNIXy View Post
    They used to be amongst the top 5 VPS providers in the market. Until the acquisition happened...Regards
    What has changed? I have been with them since before the acquisition and have seen no difference. I have considered moving to Cloud Servers as my needs are very minimal and so I don't use hardly any bandwidth.

You say things have gone downhill?

I only been with slicehost for 4 months (uptime 137 days) but my experience so far have been great. As mentioned, they are unmanaged so previous sysadmin experience helps a lot. They are not the cheapest VPS provider out there but I choose them more for the reliability. The technical staff seems pretty capable but I haven't really have to rely on that yet. I think part of why there is so little review for them on WHT have to do with their client base. Their pricing just doesn't attract as many people who want a system to experiment on and so less feedback from the community.

The Rackspace Cloud (Mosso) has identical plans. Infact, I have a rackspace cloud server that has an IP that comes back as slicehost.
    Best Regards,

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MarthaB View Post
    What has changed? I have been with them since before the acquisition and have seen no difference. I have considered moving to Cloud Servers as my needs are very minimal and so I don't use hardly any bandwidth.

You say things have gone downhill?
    The acquisition has taken the coolness factor away a bit I think. By the way, the cloud is mainly for web sites that need to scale out. Shared would be ideal for less resource intensive portals.

Regards

I was with it and still, Slicehost the best support and secure webserver after Softlayer.

Couple weeks ago I was debating between Slicehost and Linode for some internal apps which we were separating out and needed to keep off network (monitoring, backup mail, etc etc)... Ended up choosing Linode over Slicehost but Slicehost was not far behind Linode!
    Daniel | Server Complete, LLC
    Windows VPS // Dedicated Servers // Backup Services
    Wholly owned hardware and self operated network (AS19531) in Jacksonville, FL

I've actually used both for 3+ months last year. (Used linode for 8 months.)

Both were excellent. It seems slicehost are less loaded than linode, or less oversold.
    SysAdmin.xyz
    Having severs with customer data on it without proper monitoring is like having one night stand without using protections - eventually, there will be an 'oh s**t!' moment.

Slicehost is owned by Rackspace and I've gotten nothing but 100% uptime. But yes, they are very un-managed. Linnode is a great choice as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Veltrap View Post
    Slicehost is owned by Rackspace and I've gotten nothing but 100% uptime. But yes, they are very un-managed. Linnode is a great choice as well.
    I wouldn't call it a 100% uptime since the whole Rackspace facility was down for 30 minutes in late June.

Regards

I wouldn't call it a 100% uptime since the whole Rackspace facility was down for 30 minutes in late June.
    ... Except a lot of Slicehost customers who joined them prior to the acquisition are hosted at their data centre in St. Louis MO, who was not affected by that incident.

Regards
    Also except the major Rackspace outage did not affect Slicehost. It affected the dedicated server portion of Rackspace.

Guess you have an issue with Slicehost for some reason?

Also except the major Rackspace outage did not affect Slicehost. It affected the dedicated server portion of Rackspace.
    That's about $2.5MM in partial refunds. It's significant.

Guess you have an issue with Slicehost for some reason?
    I guess I do. I tend to root for the underdog, which in this case didn't live up to its full potential. Sad.

Regards

One thing about slicehost is that since their acquisition by Rackspace, for clients who are in the same datacenter as Rackspace, transfer to Mosso cloudfiles is free, creating a sort of ec2 / s3 type combo where you store your files on the cloud, and use a slicehost vps as the controller for cloud enabled applications.

I'm on rootbsd right now, and it is really good.

Jonathan
    Last edited by tomatoeblue; 08-28-2009 at 09:19 PM.