Do you feel providers care more about their direct customer than their resellers?

Hey,

Just something which I'm starting to wonder now. Having had a few conversations (From them talking to me) and from seeing multiple threads in the offers section, do you feel that providers are starting to care more about their mainline/direct customers rather than their resellers?

From things I've heard and comments I've seen, opinions on reseller schemes are for example the BURST reseller scheme, people who I've spoken to and I've seen in the offers section have been previously able to resell their servers with the 2000GB bandwidth and it not be obvious, but now they have their 4000GB it is obvious and people are asking in the offers are they a BURST reseller, turning clients away.

Another example I've found from speaking to one or two people is similar with the Limestone reseller scheme because of how often they change their line and aren't as flexible as other providers might be.

What do you feel about this? Do you agree or disagree that providers sometimes care more about direct customers than resellers?
    Has anyone felt this way similarly in the past?

We take care of end users and resellers alike. Altough resellers usually have access to features that end users do not have.

We do expect our resellers to provide tier-1 support and have a knowledgeable staff onsite.
    I cannot imagine other dedicated server providers will take less about their resellers then their end users.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017
    Unbeatable dedicated bandwidth deals for Dedicated servers ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7

People are asking if they are burst resellers maybe because if they are, clients would rather get the servers directly from burst. Unless the reseller can give more addons like free whmcs, etc.
    All things work together for the good of those who love God - Romans 8:28

Quote Originally Posted by sharmaine1111 View Post
    People are asking if they are burst resellers maybe because if they are, clients would rather get the servers directly from burst. Unless the reseller can give more addons like free whmcs, etc.
    Exactly my point. Providers are making these changes "for the better", but at the end of the day they are changes directed at bringing in more direct customers and not helping the resellers. People ask, people go direct, because it's now more obvious that they are resellers.

My friend is a reseller of burst though and she's very glad of the reseller scheme of burst. It does help her making money. Most of her clients do not know burst anyway because they are local clients (not from U.S.)

My friend is a reseller of burst though and she's very glad of the reseller scheme of burst. It does help her making money. Most of her clients do not know burst anyway because they are local clients (not from U.S.)
    That's a slightly different situation and I suppose it does work there.

But most of their resellers, do use forums like WHT etc and advertise around people who know about BURST.

If they found out, then he might lose the business unless burst love their reseller :-)

If providers care most of their direct clients than reseller, then be prepared for cancellation from reseller :-) I am talking about 50+ servers :-)

I say, it should be fair but with good discounts for the reseller. You are not only getting more orders from the reseller but also the trust and loyalty :-)
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    If they found out, then he might lose the business unless burst love their reseller :-)
    I dont understand. Why would he lose his business? It's not against burst's policy. And my friend's clients do not really care where the servers are hosted as long as it has good uptime, price is right, and good support, which my friend (and burst) do give.

I dont understand. Why would he lose his business? It's not against burst's policy. And my friend's clients do not really care where the servers are hosted as long as it has good uptime, price is right, and good support, which my friend (and burst) do give.
    What I am trying to say is they will leave your friend if they found out about burst and will just go directly to them because of good deals. I am not saying this will happen of course but it can happen if the provider do not care for their reseller.

That is the reason why I mentioned "love" the reseller :-)
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

I would have thought most server providers would be more accommodating for resellers as the reseller should be providing all levels of support to the customer.

Obviously if they are an un-managed provider it is not much of a problem it is still alot easier to have your resellers handle all requests especially when they will know your company much better than the average server joe.

Quote Originally Posted by RelicHostCom View Post
    I would have thought most server providers would be more accommodating for resellers as the reseller should be providing all levels of support to the customer.

Obviously if they are an un-managed provider it is not much of a problem it is still alot easier to have your resellers handle all requests especially when they will know your company much better than the average server joe.
    I don't think my question is quite settling in.

Basically, it looks to be that changes and decisions that providers make are targetted at bringing in some more direct customers, rather than thinking how it affects the reseller.

First of all, our resellers push us to constantly bring more competitive products/packages for them to offer. Secondly, how can we expect our resellers to compete in this highly competitive marketplace, if our packages are not competitive?

PS - We treat all our clients the same (resellers vs retail), however some of our larger clients may have direct access to certain management staff members that smaller clientele do not (but that goes for both resellers vs retail clientele).

From a provider's standpoint a customer is a customer and they should all be treated equally. I think overall, resellers are given more flexibility vs. normal clients whether it be payment terms, specs, pricing, cancellation policies, etc. But it also has to make sense to the provider as well.
    Resellers typically provide more add-on services than a provider will and compete in different markets than their resellers do. Granted if the reseller is offering the same thing as their upstream provider, then pricing will definitely play a part in the customer's decision, but if the reseller is adding on a ton of extras, then the value is there.
    Some customers care whether or not their going with a direct provider or a reseller, as we've all seen the fallout of major resellers leaving hundreds / thousands of clients in quite a bind, so they may simply want to go direct to avoid the problems that could result with buying from a reseller (direct control of hardware and equipment and reduced potential financial issues).
    But from speaking with a lot of providers (direct datacenters) we almost all tailor specific reseller options that others don't see to give resellers as much opportunity as possible. Personally as well it's easier for me to deal with 1 reseller representing 50 + servers than 50 clients who each have 1 server.