best wordpress hosting?

i know you might get this a lot, but i've been searching the forum and couldn't find a straight answer, at least, not an updated one...

i'm currently running a site with two wordpress installs, in two different languages. in average, i get about 5000+ visits a day

i'm running it on a vps server with 512 mb memory, and in both installations there are in average between 20 to 40 new posts a day...

i'm sort of running short of resources, and i don't know if it is because of my server provider, or if my settings are really that server intensive... whenever i do a top command on ssh, nothing shows unusual, monit doesn't show anything unusual, but virtuozzo gets kmemsize yellow qos alerts often...

i'm not using much plugins so far...

site is hosted on mediatemple... do i need to upgrade to 1gb, or just to considre switching to another server provider?

thanks

Well media content does put more of a strain on the server, but I don't think it's your host thats the issue. But what kind of connection do they have? 10Mbits or 100Mbits?

How close have you come to your quote in past months?
    //VPS Blowout going on now! Can you believe it?
    //Installation of any script i.e. Wordpress, theme or plugin(s) included!
    //99.9% Uptime//Live Support//Awesome Deals!
    //CubicHost.org

Might be easier / affordable just to upgrade with your current host rather than transferring - although there are a LOT of great deals on VPSs' going on right now. Just be wise with who you choose as it seems like your site is pretty popular, and I'm sure you couldn't afford the downtime.
    EQHosting - Experience the Difference
    Web Hosting - Game Servers - Ventrilo Servers - Dedicated Servers
    █ 24/7 Support - Instant Setup - 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    EQHosting.com - Twitter

Are you using the wp-cache plugin? That along with Apache mod_mem_cache can reduce memory footprint and improve CPU performance 80%. As far as who's the best wordpress hosting, there's no definitive answer.

Regards
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    [ cPanel Varnish Nginx Plugin ] - Enhance LiteSpeed and Apache Performance
    www.unixy.net - Los Angeles | Houston | Atlanta | Rotterdam
    Love to help pro bono (time permitting). joe > unixy.net

Quote Originally Posted by UNIXy View Post
    Are you using the wp-cache plugin? That along with Apache mod_mem_cache can reduce memory footprint and improve CPU performance 80%. As far as who's the best wordpress hosting, there's no definitive answer.

Regards
    True. I have had very solid results with WP Super Cache.

More information here
    //VPS Blowout going on now! Can you believe it?
    //Installation of any script i.e. Wordpress, theme or plugin(s) included!
    //99.9% Uptime//Live Support//Awesome Deals!
    //CubicHost.org

I AM using wp-super cache, don't know about mod_mem_cache, i think it is being used...

@gray929 i don't know anything about the connection, what do you mean?

thanks

If I where you I would upgrade to 1 GB. I have yet to see any bad reviews on MediaTemple and I feel they are a strong company that strives for quality customer satisfaction. But. keep in mind you can shop around there is no harm in trying a different VPS provider. If you are not happy with the end results you can always go back to MediaTemple. Granted moving around from VPS to VPS is not always ideal but this will give you a peace of mind to know what is all out there for you to obtain.
    We develop brand identity for the web.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Services ~ Custom Web Design, Branding & Identity, Development, Hosting & more!
    Portfolio ~ Websites, User Interfaces, Widgets & more!

I don't know much about how much memory a MT standard install uses up (and therefore leaves available to you) but based on the details you did post I think you should be fine with an optimized 512mb VPS (with no CP). Did some searching the web to see if I can find something to back this up and did find this:

http://hostingfu.com/article/hostingfu-2008-review

He is running Drupal site + a WordPress blog with Nginx + PHP/FastCGI + MySQL on a linode 540 that gets the following monthly:

2 million page views
    32 million HTTP requests
    160+GB of data

He indicates this setup is more the able to handle that and at that time had an uptime of 212 days. Even though this is not a apples to apples it's pretty impressive if I do say so myself, and gives you an idea of what you COULD be able to handle with a little work and customization.

If you're perfectly happy with MT then upgrade to the next step in memory. As long as you know that you can run your sites on this level of vps for less.

thanks Nnyan, problem is, site is up and running, and i really don't have the time (or the energy) to start configuring a server from scratch (also, i'm a complete n00b, so i don't even know how to install apache, and i really need support...)

Quote Originally Posted by UNIXy View Post

Regards
    that is a great idea to optimize, but caching is a tricky thing and most of the things you would not like to cache for SEO. Try making some frequently accessed and sparingly changing pages static
    █ All time best VPS Hosting is now more affordable
    █ Compare different VPS hosting Providers
    █ Ultimate place for Top VPS Hosting Comparison
    █ Reviews | Ratings | News | Articles | Forum | Offers