Choosing a webhost...

I am planning on having a little site for all my projects. I am a software based developer and what i need now is a nice little site for all that and my resume. I don't see the site being over popular so bandwidth and such isn't of high importance.

ASP.NET requires a windows server obviously so not sure if i should just stick with a linux box, ill let you guys decide

As for web space, well the programs aren't massive and i ain't going to be running web services a lot (web service suppport) would be nice.

Is a shared server enough for what i want?

A blog would be a nice feature for the host to give as well. A forum would even be better! But i don't really need or want a forum so scratch that

Sorry about all this rambling on but overall i want a good quality host, most likely shared server, maybe windows (for asp.net), blog (hopefully) and some decent bandwidth/space. Databases would also be important alongside the other standard things FTP Acounts and sub domains.

I found Muse Hosting they seem alright?

Came across this site...

Shark Space (sorry can't post vbCodes just yet)

The Hammerhead package seems to be pretty good and comes with enough space and bandwidth. No blog though but i assume i can just install wordpress or another blog system if i need to? Though in the future i will probably make my own custom blog system (down the track).

I before deciding though still want to see some window based servers that support asp.net simply because i am a .NET enthusiast and all my programs are .NET based or C++ (All OOP anyhow lol)

Any help is great!!!

If you require ASP.net then I would recommend you stick with a Windows Package.
    By the sounds of things your projects seem pretty small, Am I not mistaken?

If your requirements are not heavy that a basic Shared Package would do. I do not see you requiring too much if this is the case.

Can I ask what sort of Budget you have?
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

Budget is about $10 a month from what i can tell is enough.

Programs are quite small, just some simple utilities and not a large number of them either. But i will probably setup a blog like a said and my thoughts are that it will take up quite a bit of space, correct?

I had a look at SoftSys hosting. That seems alright but still looking around.

Edit: If i am wrong about the blog thing then $10 would probably seem overkill. Note i still would like some sub domains and able to host at least 2 domains possibly.
    Last edited by Parnoia; 08-21-2009 at 01:19 AM.

It is possible to run ASP.net under Linux with mod_mono - http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

Probably not best for a Shared Environment, There are many suitable webhosts running Windows that would probably fit your projects better as they require C+ and ASP. Your budget seems quite attractive but as a non-windows fan myself I cannot really recommend a service that would be suited to your needs.

Usually a blog will not require too much space, Depending on your projects and their sizes you should be able to determine how much space is needed for you to allocate them the room.

Your budget does not seem overkill to me personally, It seems quite fair and in a good quality range.

Sean

Also i am located in Australia, but i don't want an Australian host. Simply because from what i have heard connection can be awful for other countries to view it and i know for certain one of the projects and probably the blog (which will be .NET based discussions) will almost certainly attract more US and other based citizens. Not to say there wont be Australians but i haven't seen any Australian hosts being recommended around the web.

As for mono i know that certain libraries and some functionality isn't supported. Not sure how it is with ASP.NET development only ever done some light testing with it on software based solutions. Thanks for the heads up though!

Also i am located in Australia
    Coinsidently so am I

but i don't want an Australian host.
    Overpriced they are indeed.

Simply because from what i have heard connection can be awful for other countries to view it and i know for certain one of the projects and probably the blog (which will be .NET based discussions) will almost certainly attract more US and other based citizens. Not to say there wont be Australians but i haven't seen any Australian hosts being recommended around the web.
    If most of your viewers are going to be based in the US then it would be recommended to go for a US webhost rather than an Australian webhost.

I have heard many discussions over at Whirlpool in regards to Windows Hosting being a tad dear in Australia and it would not be a suprise.

Sean

Well i am still going to consider a Linux based server simply because i am not sure how much server side coding i have planned for the site. Plus i am just as familiar with PHP as i am with ASP.NET

Some hosts i am looking at (non-windows) include:
    • ApectureHost.com
    • aTecHosting (yours )
    • Shark Space
    • Muse Hosting

Just a question, would it be best to buy my domain with say GoDaddy? I have heard that some hosts if you try to transfer later on can be a bit sly and take their time in transferring the domain (or whatever needs to be done with it) But some give you free domains I guess i am just talking about the worst case scenario hope i will never have to transfer but yea just in case.

Also how much bandwidth does a small sized business site for example go through a month?

Looking at your plans even the first one seems fine for me. The databases are MySQL 5.1 right?

- It is recommended yes that you buy your domain via places like Godaddy or NameCheap. If you have your own Domain Reseller Service you could buy it and manage it as you please.

It would hard to put an exact figure on bandwidth consumption a site would use, It is based on many factors like traffic, Content, Streams etc.. Most Shared Hosting providers will provide the latest in MySQL Databases and PHP.

I know it is possible to run ASP under linux but it would be porbably best to run it via Windows Machine
    Last edited by Sparrow-Sean; 08-21-2009 at 02:27 AM.

Exactly, if you are looking to run ASP.NET, it is best to go for Windows Hosting Package. Also, most of the Windows hosts will also be supporting PHP and you'll be able to run both ASP.NET/PHP in single package.

Good luck!

Rick
    ██ SoftSys Hosting ██ - 14 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise Class Replicated Cloud Servers For HA

Cloud Hosting With Anti-Malware, IDS/IPS, WAF & Litespeed - Windows 2019 Shared Hosting w/ Plesk

I know it is possible to run ASP under linux but it would be porbably best to run it via Windows Machine
    Exactly. That would give you the best performance.

After a lot of thinking i have come up with the idea that i really don't need anything fancy but i still should get the best value for money.

Still haven't decided on Windows or Linux anyway here is a categorized list of hosts so far.

Windows:

aplus seems to be winning me over because of free domains and the blog/forum. But it is only 2005 SQL which isn't of major concern ill likely be using MySQL anyway.

softSys is slightly cheaper and has 08 MSSQL.

I am a bit concerned with aplus is it to good to be true? There is a massive difference in the Space and Bandwidth limits. Its practically softsys time 10!! Makes me think the service could be a bit dodgy.

Linux Hosts:

Sharkspace is leading but again the Bandwidth and Space limits are to good to be true.

So confusing, i am sure ill be thinking about this all night long now.

I am a bit concerned with aplus is it to good to be true? There is a massive difference in the Space and Bandwidth limits. Its practically softsys time 10!! Makes me think the service could be a bit dodgy.
    I have had a look at their site and yes it is too good to be true. Basically they are offering you 2TB of bandwidth usage per month, But in reality this could possibly be used, But in most cases their are restrictions behind it. Not just the bandwidth usage but the CPU/Ram asscoiated with it. - Personally you do not need that much, For a host to really offer such a service they would be paying thousands a month just for the use of it.

I would stick to your guns and look at something that you will most likely need, Not something you will never use.

Their Baby package seems quite fair, Their others seem a bit on the over-sold side of things, Maybe a little too good to be true

So confusing, i am sure ill be thinking about this all night long now.
    No need too. There are many reputable webhosting companies around, I have not had the pleasure of hosting with Shark Space, I have never heard any bad reviews about them either. Though they do look quite shabby

For your case, of course ASP.NET hosting is a ideal choice. You can deploy your website / application on the hosting account. About the forums, you can add on another domain name to your hosting account or sub-domain.

Kk well i decided Linux is plenty ASP.NET isn't a massive requirement yet. Later down the track maybe i can upgrade/transfer.

The Baby/Starter packages are the ones i am looking at now.

Seems Aperture or aTechHost is where i am leading towards at the moment. Now its all about clicking the 'order now' link :p

Thanks for clearing things up though. Hopefully this decision will be made tonight

No worries Paranoia, I am sure you will make the appropriate choice. Gosh 7.26pm already, Time flies when you are having so much fun on WHT

Thanks for taking interest in our company paranoia,

Good Luck Mate.