Own server for out of uk iplayer access

Im currently living outside the uk and always want to catch up on uk telly but cant due to georestrictions. I looked into vpn services but im just not sure i trust them. I know a load of other expats out here who want to do so so I thought would it be possible to to rent my own server and simply share with several (5-10) friends.

The problem is, I have 0 experience in servers bar reading about them. But I like programming, built pcs and always up for learning something new.

Given i know very little, i just like to get peoples thoughts on:

1) what type of server would i be looking at here? vps or dedicated?
    2) bandwidth?
    3) are other factors such as hard disk space, ram etc equally important?
    4) how easy is it to setup accounts for each friend? Ive heard of cpanel - is that its job?
    5) would this be expensive? i.e per month is it 25, 50, 100 pounds plus?

is it doable or just a money funnel?

You're looking for a VPS or Dedicated for running some kind of proxy, with unmetered (shared) most likely, or some high bw cap dependencies on the amount of video streamed.

You are not looking for cPanel or any control panel really. This is not shared hosting.

Hardware specs do not have to be high, just make sure you can get some kind of decent network. VPS will work, but make sure there's enough portspeed available to stream w/o it dying, since it`s shared. HD, RAM, etc are pretty much unused if it's just for tunneling iplayer out, just grab the cheapest box you can if you want.

Should be less than 25 quid. You should be able to ssh tunnel or set up nylon (socks proxy) or HTTP proxy or VPN when you have your box, read some guides on this, it's very easy

To add to what quantumphysics has already mentioned, I would recommend you look into "nginx" - as you are in the learning mode, you'd be better off starting off with nginx for what you are trying to do.

Well. Depending on the web sites all of your friends have that would be easier to have reseller account not VPS. Moreover if you are not good at management. Reseller web hosting will give you opportunity to have separate acces and lots of site hosted and full hands on support

A 128MB VPS will be fine for running a VPN. No control panel, but it'll do what you need.

You'll probably pay around Ł10 a month from a reputable provider for a 128-256MB VPS.
    Darren Lingham - Stablepoint Hosting
    Stablepoint - Cloud Web Hosting without compromise
    We provide industry-leading cPanel™ web hosting in 80+ global cities.

Cheers everyone for all your responses - really appreciate all the advice.

So im looking at less hardware and more on bandwidth.

im just wondering about ip addresses of the server? Are they fixed? If iplayer for any reason blocked my servers ip would i have any options beyond simply switching to another provider?

im going to look to use vpn because that will work with channel 4 and itvs software. Ill google some tutorials on how to set up a server to do vpn magic but if anyone knows of a killer tut then please share.

I was wrong about cpanel but how would i create some simple accounts for each of my friends who would connect to my server to use iplayer. Id like that to monitor useage and to make sure one of my friends isnt taking the p ;-) and stopping me watch 'the street' - theres always one.

just noticed the vpn tutorial section of this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by SiberForum View Post
    Well. Depending on the web sites all of your friends have that would be easier to have reseller account not VPS. Moreover if you are not good at management. Reseller web hosting will give you opportunity to have separate acces and lots of site hosted and full hands on support
    Quote Originally Posted by CreativHost View Post
    To add to what quantumphysics has already mentioned, I would recommend you look into "nginx" - as you are in the learning mode, you'd be better off starting off with nginx for what you are trying to do.

He's looking at setting up a VPN/proxy to view iplayer, not host sites