Need dedicated host for file storage

I need a dedicated host where I can store files of each around 700mb.

These are all legal video files and will be downloaded by my visitors.

I personally think the bandwidth usage will not be more than 10TB per month which makes this deal interesting http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=883603

However I have several questions and I hope you can help with answering these.

The files could be downloaded by 200 people at the same time (thats probably the maximum and the chance is low it will get to that amount).

I want to know which hardware is suitable for this and what I need to think about.

Also if you know more good dedicated hosts which are offering a good deal, it would be nice to share it here too so I can have a look at it.

I used to have a fully managed dedicated server in the past with softlayer and that was fine as I didn't have to do anything at all except for uploading files to my server. This server I only want for file storage, do I need much knowledge to handle the dedicated server? I haven't managed one myself ever before, so I rather don't do it myself, but maybe its not a big deal?

Thanks!

Are these streaming downloads?

What would be the average usage?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaber View Post
    Are these streaming downloads?
    Yes, all files are MPEG files.

Quote Originally Posted by mathewanson View Post
    What would be the average usage?
    I personally think at most 5TB per month, but I guess I'm safer with 10TB.

What do you guys think about this (The Planet) :

• Xeon 3060
    • SATA
    • 5 IPs
    • 250 GB IDE/SATA HDD
    • 10000 GB Bandwidth
    • 2 GB RAM
    • 100 Mbps Uplink
    • Windows Server 2008 - Web - 64 bit
    $139.00 per month

Lets say I get the package above, how do I check the bandwith usage status when I don't have a control panel installed? Maybe a stupid question, but I haven't worked without a control panel before.

200 people at the same time
    Yes, all files are MPEG files.
    Simple, max bit rate X 200 download = pipe size needed
    lets say you want 128Kbps X 200 = 25,600Kbps = 25Mbps, easily done on 100Mbps port.

I see but the videos are 2000 kb/s I think. Is it possible to stop streaming. When you open a mpeg it automatically goes to streaming, is it possible to make it downloadable only?

Xevor, you could always put them in a zip file. There probably is a better way to do it, but that is one way I suppose
    Jeremy Miller - Account Executive
    SingleHop Inc. - Dedicated Servers Exclusive Specials - www.singlehop.com/jeremymiller
    Phone: 1-866-817-2811 ext. 103

Thanks,

The Planet had a good deal, but they only accept credit cards which I still don't have.

So anymore reliable and good providers you can recommend?

For such a setup you should consider using the server as the origin storage and distribute the files either as a progressive download or video stream via a CDN

by utilising the CDN the load of the delivery is handled by it, not by your server, and since all you pay is for traffic you can scale up without the headache of upgrading servers, nic ports, etc.
    Carlos Rego
    OnApp CVO

The Cloud Engine

What about this deal?

DataCenter Location: Luxembourg, Steinsel - EUROPE

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Dual Core
    2 x 320GB Sata II Drives
    4GB DDR2 800 RAM
    Bandwidth: 100Mbit Unmetered per month
    IP Addresses: 100 ips included
    CentOS 5
    with CPanel/WHM/Fantastico/RVSkin
    Fully Managed ($45.00/month savings!)

$199/month | No Setup Fee --> Sign Up Here

Most visitors are from the US and Canada but there are a lot from Europe too, will the speed be a lot lower for the people from US or Canada or isn't the difference that big if the server is located in North America?

Thats a good deal. Its better to have the server in Usa.

I doubt in most cases people will know the difference so long as the peering is ok. Ask the providor for an IP for testing.
    l 201TB.com • 201TB bandwidth as standard in three USA DC’s. KVMoIP, auto reboot & OS install all included - Now available in the Netherlands!
    l udedi.com • UK, USA & NL unmetered 100mb & 1GB 100TB premium bandwidth servers
    l Assiva Ltd • UK Shared & Reseller LiteSpeed • 10 years of hosting • R1Soft

Quote Originally Posted by Xevor View Post
    Lets say I get the package above, how do I check the bandwith usage status when I don't have a control panel installed? Maybe a stupid question, but I haven't worked without a control panel before.
    You can install your own, or they will probley charge you for 1, like an extra $10 a month.

But there are web tools to monitor bandwidth .
    Garbott Ltd - Professional web development & consultancy services
    Oxford.Hosting - Prestigious shared, cloud, dedicated and gaming hosting solutions.

Probably best to stick to the one that the provider gives you since that's the one they will bill from.
    l 201TB.com • 201TB bandwidth as standard in three USA DC’s. KVMoIP, auto reboot & OS install all included - Now available in the Netherlands!
    l udedi.com • UK, USA & NL unmetered 100mb & 1GB 100TB premium bandwidth servers
    l Assiva Ltd • UK Shared & Reseller LiteSpeed • 10 years of hosting • R1Soft

Quote Originally Posted by Xevor View Post
    I see but the videos are 2000 kb/s I think. Is it possible to stop streaming. When you open a mpeg it automatically goes to streaming, is it possible to make it downloadable only?
    At 2000 Kb/s bit rate, thats 16 Mbps. with 200 people downloading a file at once thats 3,200 Mbps, so you can't steam them. it will need to buffer for 2 days before it stats playing.

Of course not everyone has a 16 mbps connection and if you don't steam (the user just downloads it) a server with a 1 Gbps connection will give everyone about 5 Mbps, 100 Mbps would give everyone 500 Kbps.

No matter what way you go keep in mind the downloads are going to be REALLY REALLY Slowwwwwww.

iWeb has a good deal on 10TB of bandwidth http://iweb.com/landing/performances/

I don't know how you are giving the end user the URL to download the file. But if you used a PHP script to do it you could make it only downloadable so no one can stream it, and you could also then limit the speed the end user so not to slow every single user down.
    Uploadingit.com - Fast Reliable File Hosting

Have you thought about lowering the quality a bit so that the same server can support more visitors? youtube sized videos can do just fine and you can lower the quality to 20fps, 320x240, and use two pass VBR. Not sure if you customers need SD or better resolution.

NYC VPS

Quote Originally Posted by Jatt5 View Post
    Thats a good deal. Its better to have the server in Usa.
    I agree. The USA does have good connectivity around the world.

Have you checked out 10TB.com? They are using Softlayer's network which is VERY reliable.
    Tailored VPS offers fully customizable VPS Hosting