Requesting advice on shared hosting vs. VPS

Here's our requirements:

Windows server
    ~10gb+ storage
    ~200gb+ data transfer
    ~10+ domains
    unlimited subdomains
    unlimited websites (i'm adding this because our current host allows unlimited subdomains but only a max of 6 websites total including the ones attached to domains...that makes the subdomains about useless to us.)

Our company has 5 agencies under it that each have a website that we host. I'm wondering what would be the best option for hosting...a different shared host that will give us the domains we need or a VPS?

our limit is ~$30/month

What type of specs for a VPS would we probably need to host 5 sites. 4 of them are pretty basic but the 5th hosts a very large database that is used throughout the county to find local human services.
    Last edited by ihsnet; 08-20-2009 at 11:04 AM.

IMO a VPS would be your best bet if you budget allows. You should check the offers area, I'm sure there is something there that will fit.

You could start with a small vps and then you can always scale it as need.
    HostREA.com
    kirk[@]hostrea.com
    Shared / Reseller cPanel Web Hosting
    WHMCS Templates -Ready to go instant downloads.

If you go VPS way, I would suggest to consider Hyper-V or Xen based VPS since it provides guaranteed RAM, better performance and high level of isolation than other virtualization technologies. However, this will require you to raise your budget to somewhere around $70 per month. If that's not an option for you, I will recommend getting a reseller account which will allow you to host multiple websites in one account itself.

Good luck!

Rick
    ██ Softsys Hosting ██ - 9 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise DDoS Protection Available!

Enterprise Dedicated Servers - WHT Exclusive Windows & Linux VPS (US/UK/Singapore) - Failover Ready Cloud VM's

Yeah we are limited to the $30/month budget. We are a non-profit organization. We started w/ ixwebhosting for about $10/month and just signed up for Arvixe.com at $27/month only to find that we'd have to step up to $40/month to get the # of domains we need. We were hoping to keep it around the $30 mark which is a big step up from ixwebhosting.

With that low of a budget a reseller account or multi-domain hosting plan is within reach. What kind and size of database is serving that 5th site? That will probably be the determining factor.

...and did you post this request once before under a different name?

Exactly, you should be looking at Reseller account if you are tight on budget since that will be the best and most cost effective solution for you

Good luck!
    ██ Softsys Hosting ██ - 9 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise DDoS Protection Available!

Enterprise Dedicated Servers - WHT Exclusive Windows & Linux VPS (US/UK/Singapore) - Failover Ready Cloud VM's

Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    With that low of a budget a reseller account or multi-domain hosting plan is within reach. What kind and size of database is serving that 5th site? That will probably be the determining factor.

...and did you post this request once before under a different name?
    It's 150mb, maybe I shouldn't of used the wording "very large" but I guess I was thinking in comparison to the other databases we host.

and no I haven't posted any requests before. I just found this forum last week when we decided to move away from ixwebhosting.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I have noticed some VPS companies w/ coupons that put them in our price range. I'm just not sure how much memory I should be looking at.
    Last edited by ihsnet; 08-20-2009 at 12:05 PM.

I am a little confused. At IX are you on a VPS and are being limited by the control panel licensing or on a share account with a site limit?

Seems a shared-type account will do.

at IX i'm on shared w/ no limits...we have just had issues lately and aren't happy with the service.

we just got a shared account w/ arvixe.com running yesterday and then ran into the problem of being limited to 6 websites (we knew we'd be limited to 6 domains but didn't expect to be limited on the websites attached to subdomains)

btw we've been talking w/ arvixe tech support all day and they are great.

How about speaking with them to see if they can accommodate your requirements by increasing domains for you?

For $30 per month you'll need to look at a Windows Virtuozzo VPS. That will be fine for running your websites and should give you around 512 MB RAM. Perfect solution.