Hosts with Personal Storage Option

We are starting to build some php applications that allow users to upload and manage personal files, which might include things like movies and videos that are copyrighted. What options would they have for hosting?
    PHP Link Directory Script
    My First Profitable Web App
    I am David DuVal

Copyrighted? So illegal? Or did you mean legal?

Or their copyrighted of their own work.?
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

I assume you mean illegal files, in which case it would have to be off-shore.

I would assume that he means copyrighted as in they would own the copyright.

Hosting illegal files is just a bad idea in general it effects the way people look at your business aswell as the fact in the long run it can cause you some serious legal impliciations if you are caught - look at thepiratebay as an example.

Files can be hosted as it is, nothing great.
    Do you mean personal content of users, that can be managed by encryption

If the files the users are uploading are their own and they hold all valid copy right for these and the uploaded files are secured and only accessible the the client who uploaded them, ie no file sharing you should be able to host them almost anywhere.

If the files are been shared to other users you need offshore.
    BotWars.io - Code the AI of your Battle Bot!

So let me get this straight...
    If the are only accessible via a password, and maybe are also encrypted, so that only the person who uploaded can access them, it would be okay with most hosts?

Just to give an example, let's suppose I wanted to develop a script that allows users to have online storage? Obviously, I can't know what they are uploading, though I can make it so there are limits to how the data is accessed.

Are there any hosts that would be able to host such a script?
    I am David DuVal

It sounds like you will be looking for an off-shore plan. I'd suggest taking a peek around for hosts based in Amsterdam/The Netherlands..elsewise you're likely to run in to a whole host of trouble with the copyrighted material. It's possible you could get away with it domestically but you need to ask yourself whether or not it is worth the risk.

So if hosting in a place like Amsterdam, it is pretty straightforward? In other words, there isn't much risk?
    I am David DuVal

Nothing is totally risk free, I think you would have a better go of it with what you are looking to do if you were hosted in that area though.

If you could ensure that the data was only been used as a backup medium for a client and they was not sharing that with other users I would (but can't speak for all hosting compaines) have no problem with hosting that. As in my knowledge it is legal.

You would also have to ensure that client were agreeing to abide by copyright laws in a terms of service and any infractions they take full responsibility for.
    BotWars.io - Code the AI of your Battle Bot!

Quote Originally Posted by dvduval View Post
    So let me get this straight...
    If the are only accessible via a password, and maybe are also encrypted, so that only the person who uploaded can access them, it would be okay with most hosts?

Just to give an example, let's suppose I wanted to develop a script that allows users to have online storage? Obviously, I can't know what they are uploading, though I can make it so there are limits to how the data is accessed.

Are there any hosts that would be able to host such a script?
    Basically what you are planning on making is secure backup web space?

Some sort of extension block so that you can block certain extensions from being uploaded to the file storage would be a good addition, so you can allow .mp3 but block .avi for example.

Thanks for your advice everyone. What might be considered the top 2-3 hosts in Amsterdam?

And yes, I see how some people might not follow the rules, and share with others, so that could be a problem, but certainly it would not be tolerated, though I wouldn't want one user to cause server outage for everyone else.
    I am David DuVal