Fully customizable coniguration

Hi Guys,

Is there any VPS host providing fully configurable hosting?

My plan requires high initial RAM of 1GB, but since the website is just coming up it won't be able to use the huge bandwidth and large disk space coming with it.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jits View Post
    My plan requires high initial RAM of 1GB, but since the website is just coming up it won't be able to use the huge bandwidth and large disk space coming with it.
    I've got similar requirements, never really found a plan thats very customisable, i guess bandwidth and disk are cheap or oversold, ram is finite and is what really costs i guess.

But there are providers who are charging pretty high for upgrades in disk space and bandwidth.

I don't seem to recall the names and rates right off my head, so logically there should be an option to downgrade as well :-D.

cheers!

But there are providers who are charging pretty high for upgrades in disk space and bandwidth.
    If you're talking about over-usage fees, they're more punitive than cost related.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    If you're talking about over-usage fees, they're more punitive than cost related.
    I don't know if that is over-usage. At times it clearly mentioned, I believe that was for users who want to upgrade without moving over to next plan.

Here is an example from photonvps:

Extra Bandwidth $1.00 / GB / Month
    Extra Space $8.95 - 6 GB / Month

Why don't you start off with the Beam 1 plan and see how it goes? If you need more resources just compare the cost of purchasing a al carte versus upgrading to next plan.

Yes, that is the only option I have currently. Looking for alternatives. Cannot afford to be stuck if this does not work out.

I know as a host generally we don't offer custom plans because the pre-made plans are set to give the best customer value for money.

RAM is probably the most used resource on our servers and the most costly, so when a user wants 1GB of ram and nearly no bandwidth its really going to cost us the same to run, therefore we can't really offer a discount I am sure many other hosts are the same when it comes to this.
    - Buying up websites, side-projects and companies - PM Me! -

Yes I understand this point now :-). So am looking at option of splitting the content delivery and processing as discussed in my other thread :-)

I'm not sure why not just start with a lower end plan and upgrade as you need. This might not be linear but it gets you the same rough results.

You can also look at cloud hosts that charge you for what you use.

Extra disk space is probably the easiest thing for a provider to sell you, so is normally quite inexpensive. However, by the time it has been mirrored, backed up, and sent off site it isn't going to be quite as cheap as single hard drive costs would lead you to believe. Asking for a downgrade might be possible, but probably won't save much money.

Bandwidth is another matter as it is extremely expensive. Buying enough bandwidth to cover everyone's quota would be prohibitively expensive, and would waste over 90% of the available bandwidth each month. Reducing quotas doesn't make sense either as there is no point capping people on a quiet network. This is why the bandwidth you get with a plan is usually quite cheap - most people don't use much of it, so everyone can pay a lot less.

If you need additional bandwidth it is because you are actually using it, so the prices generally reflect the wholesale costs, which is a fair bit more. Again, asking for a downgrade might not get you much, as the provider has already used the fact people don't tend to use as much bandwidth as comes with their plan to reduce prices for you.

This is why, in the end, it all comes down to RAM (and performance).

Jim
    Blue Room Hosting - High availability UK VPS
    KVM Plans - Multiple OS support. Virtual console and CD drive.