website upscaling

hello everybody! (well, first post)

I am kiriakos and actually am a total newbie on the aspects of website hosting and their various troubles. I have been makig websites for about three years now, as a hobby, having a shared webhosting provider wich I have to say I am quite satisfacted with but as working on my last project wich is some sort of a youtube/VR hybrid two questios where popping into my mind.. so here we go:

1) Is a shared hosting account suitable for such a site?
    2) How do websites that outgrow their hosting capabilities seamlesly upscale without going offline (if there is such a procedure or technology)

from what I understand most of you are qute experienced with webhosting, dedicated servers and all that other stuff that just confuses me atm, so I hope that some of you might want to enlighten me a bit.

thanks everybody for reading, I am awaiting your replies!
    k

Hello and welcome to the forum.
    1. Yes that could be enough, but that could not be allowed (just some web hosting service providers can offer that)
    2. I assume in this case you will need to monitor your web sites
    ASPnix Web Hosting - ASP.NET, MS SQL, AJAX, Hyper-V
    Microsoft Hosting and Virtualization

Have you asked your current provider about scaling possibilities?

It is usually easy to upgrade any of the hosting packages in the same range without downtime or service disruption, at any time. If you wish to upgrade to a VPS from a shared plan (different range), there would be more disruption involved in the change. You should upgrade your hosting plan as your site(s) grow and you need more resources (diskspace, monthly traffic) than you currentlly have on your plan.

The most important thing would be to go with a host that can facilitate the upscaling in house. Start on a small shared package, as your site grows increase your resources for that package. Should you get too big for that, scale up to a VPS, and finally a dedicated server or more.

My suggestion would be don't think too big too early, make sure your site is going to get the hits, and worry about the hosting as you need too. As long as you're with a good host it shouldn't be too much of a problem

You would normally start on a Hosting Package, upgrade to a Bigger Account, Then VPS then 1 or even 2+ more Dedicated Server.

Each providing you more room to grow. But start small work your way up. If you start tooo high, you may find you cant keep up with your growth.
    Garbott Ltd - Professional web development & consultancy services
    Oxford.Hosting - Prestigious shared, cloud, dedicated and gaming hosting solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by justforgetme View Post
    2) How do websites that outgrow their hosting capabilities seamlesly upscale without going offline (if there is such a procedure or technology)
    To migrate your site from one machine to another without downtime is a very easy thing to do. Don't let that be a showstopper if your desire is to try a shared account first.

Hi
    As I have previously owned a website which has moved hosts I understand your dilemma, it is important that you launch your website with a webhost which will not only take your money but will also help you to grow. As such I recommend you discuss your needs with the host and check that they are able to move you over to a managed dedicated server once you have outgrown shared hosting.

Jonathan Fielding
    <<removed>>
    Last edited by sirius; 08-20-2009 at 01:09 PM.

Hello Kiriakos,

Good to see you in WHT.

There is a YouTube alike software called PHPFox. The license costs a couple of hundreds of dollars and it is easy to install it and to start using it. It provides you with all basic tools you need to manage a video sharing network. Members can also have their own blogs, to publish pictures, and to build networks. On your questions:

> No. You need to get a VPS or Dedicated server. I suggest you t start with a VPS that has 256 MB RAM to avoid paying high upfront costs.

> When you are on VPS it is easy to request more MB or GB of RAM and to increase the disc space quota. This is the advantage of any VPS compared to a dedicated server. When you use a low end cheap server you might not be able to add additional components (even hard drives) without taking the machine offline. So the best you can do is to go for a VPS.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

Quote Originally Posted by rumsfo View Post
    Hello and welcome to the forum.
    1. Yes that could be enough, but that could not be allowed (just some web hosting service providers can offer that)
    2. I assume in this case you will need to monitor your web sites
    1. Not always a shared host is good.
    2. Monitor with google analytics

Hello again everybody!

thanks a lot for all the intel you just gave me.

Quote Originally Posted by rumsfo View Post
    @rumsfo: I'll try to see if my host (IXwebhosting) is ok with what i intend to do. even though I didn't know that there are limitations to what you do with your hosting product (except of hosting erotica or copyright infrigement none of wich are in my plans)

Quote Originally Posted by Layershift Simona View Post
    Have you asked your current provider about scaling possibilities?
    @Layershift Simona: well, as far as I know they don't offer dedicated machines since the moment they started offering VPS. wich looks quite good actualy, the best you can get is 2xquadXEON with 8GB ram but all of their vps plans are way over my wallet capabilities atm.

Quote Originally Posted by EJay View Post
    My suggestion would be don't think too big too early, make sure your site is going to get the hits, and worry about the hosting as you need too. As long as you're with a good host it shouldn't be too much of a problem
    @jwebhost & EJay: Will do! but you know sometimes your concerns do get you carried away and I wouldn't want to get myself into some sort of hosting bottleneck since I have no idea of web hosting specifics.. (exagerated example: what if that shared hosting account was only powerfull enough to serve only one visitor at a time?? )

Quote Originally Posted by HostColor View Post
    There is a YouTube alike software called PHPFox. The..
    @HostColor: Well, I didn't know that one! :-) even though when I said youtube/VR hybrid I didn't mean that it would host videos, I meant that it would host Virtual Environments wich the end user then could explore through an interface that I designed..
    but thank you anyway, chances are I'll take a closer look at it once I get some free time.

Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    To migrate your site from one machine to another without downtime is a very easy thing to do. Don't let that be a showstopper if your desire is to try a sharedaccount first.
    @Collabora: Could you ellaborate on this? I hate to stress it but I am a newbie.

@Holy083: yes, google analytics is something I planed to use
    Last edited by justforgetme; 08-20-2009 at 01:45 PM.

With regards to migrating a site without downtime, any decent webhost should be able to accomplish this without issue. It can get a bit sticky where a live database is involved, but its still doable. The general gist goes:

Drop TTL's on the DNS Zone

Setup database replication to new server

Copy site content to new server

Point database on both sites to new server

Change the A record in the DNS zone to point to the new server

Wait 48 hours so it fully propagates, most should go within minutes if you drop the TTL's

Kill off the old server / account.

You can make life a lot easier if you can live with a small amount of downtime, perhaps do it early one morning, and then just copy the site over, and move the IP to the new server.

I am kiriakos and actually am a total newbie on the aspects of website hosting and their various troubles.
    Hello Kiriakos and welcome at WHT.

Are you from Greece?

You can always start from a shared hosting account, then use a VPS or a semi-dedicated account and finally a dedicated server.

If you plan the transfer few days before it happens, then you can move it to a solution with more power, without downtime.

@Collabora: Could you ellaborate on this? I hate to stress it but I am a newbie.
    Don't buy something bigger than you need because you are afraid to upgrade from a smaller account. The upgrade can be done without downtime

Quote Originally Posted by CretaForce View Post
    Are you from Greece?
    in fact yes I am.. but how did you find out?? lol