Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Downtown Host : Ongoing Review.

Well hello.

I recently picked up an account with Downtown Host to host my dad's site and wanted to start a thread that I will update as time goes by. I know there's a "honeymoon period" with most hosts and sometimes, like my wife (LOL.. kidding *hides*), things change as things progress..but I have been very impressed.

So, to get things started...

Ordering Process

Easy as it usually is these days. Although the space isn't really needed, I picked up their Bronze plan for 6 months and it worked out to be about $50 USD thanks to a handy coupon. This is the first time I have ever had enough preliminary confidence in a host to go for 6 months up front (outside of getting a ridiculous deal) and I hope to not to be disappointed and regret the decision.

DTH does use a phone call fraud verification system on new orders which I appreciate. I think it shows that they are proactive in sorting out bad purchases and is one of the nicer fraud-detection interfaces I have come across. I believe Wirenine is the only other host I have used that employs a similar system.

Jorge (Jedito on WHT) was very helpful in the ordering process which, again, I appreciate and was pro-active in helping me getting me on board quickly even going so far as to drop me a line welcoming me aboard.

Initial Transfer, Etc.

Once again, very easy. There were a few hiccups that were issues on the previous host's side in terms of creating cPanel back ups so things could get moved over. Both techs were extremely helpful and kept me updated throughout the process, notifying me of even the slightest issue (again, none on their side) in getting files moved over for two domains, some of which included add-on domains.

One of the sites I moved over included a wordpress blog that was previous its own account under a reseller plan so I had a question regarding the process of switching over the MySQL database information to ensure the blog worked off the tip. Again, DTH was very helpful and gave me instructions on what I needed to do to make sure there was no interruption in serving the blog. They certainly didn't have to help me with the changes so it was really nice of them to do so.

Performance

In a word - fast. Once the nameservers switched over for the main site (cincihost-dot-com), I entered the address and *bam*. No lagged delays with larger-sized images, they just popped up. Previously, the page loaded somewhat "in order". Not anymore. I hit "Enter" and it was there. Nice.

cPanel loads fast and in checking the server load here and there, it is always below 1.00.

Support

As I have alluded to above, support is fantastic. The first ticket I submitted took a bit to be responded to which was worrying. Who knows what happened, but it was responded to, oddly, shortly after I mentioned it to someone. From that point, support has been lightning fast. As I think happens a lot of times, I have submitted a few tickets in order to get everything set up and going and they have all been responded to or updated within 15 to 20 minutes. I recently submitted a ticket to have my cPanel theme changed (it default to a RVSkin which I do not like) and it was resolved in, literally, one minute. Fastest support I have ever experienced.

Summation

Really the only thing I didn't like was that cPanel loads the green RVSkin which seems cartoony to me and I much prefer the original x3 theme. This was quickly changed so no biggie.

Everything else has been absolutely fantastic as you can probably surmise.

I look forward to being hosted with DTH and have a good feeling that my father and I will be with them for a long time to come.

Thanks to Jorge, Sebastian and everyone at Downtown Host!

Nice! Always good to see good reviews on a host! Keep us updated.

Quote Originally Posted by IMeanWebHosting View Post
    Nice! Always good to see good reviews on a host! Keep us updated.
    Will do.

By the way, Hi from down 75!

Wonderful review

when the theme is the only complaint you can find, it speaks volumes

Great review! Refreshing to hear good experiences with hosts.

Hi, how long have you been with them?

I ask because:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...9&postcount=37

You recommended another hosting company less then 7 days ago.

I'm confused?
    StableHost .:. Unlimited web hosting done right. Experience the unlimited difference.
    PingThat .:. Is your website down? Find out now with our QuickChecker technology.

I recently picked up an account with Downtown Host
    Alot can happen in 7 days
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

Quote Originally Posted by ATH-Sean View Post
    Alot can happen in 7 days
    I'm curious what happened to his other provider, he was happy with them 7 days ago, somehow got pissed at them, left them, signed up to DTH, and is happy again?
    StableHost .:. Unlimited web hosting done right. Experience the unlimited difference.
    PingThat .:. Is your website down? Find out now with our QuickChecker technology.

Nice, informative review. Not that I expected any less from you Dave.

I'm curious what happened to his other provider, he was happy with them 7 days ago, somehow got pissed at them, left them, signed up to DTH, and is happy again?
    It happens and is quite common, You could continually go through a heap before actually settling down. Not saying this is the case and you do have a point to your post but I would rather just accept the review for what it is.

Perhaps he has 2 accounts?

Perhaps I use more than one (or two) hosts

ie - i use three including Innohosting (since 2007) and Sharkspace (more recently).
    Last edited by db09; 08-19-2009 at 07:51 PM.

Cool, well come back after a month or so Thanks for the review!

hmmm...

can't say I've heard of them?

have they just started up....maybe a new host or something.

joking....

that's the host who's downtown right?

run by the guy from star wars....Jedito

only ever read good reviews about DTH....so thanks for another good review.

owm
    ()
    Life's what you make it.

Jedito is very pro-active here on the boards and always giving excellent support and answers, I believe he is the most talented guy here

*Pokes* OWM.

next to god, there is no one more talented than I.

owm
    ()
    Life's what you make it.

next to god, there is no one more talented than I.

owm
    *Poke* *Poke* *Poke*, OWM where is your head today. In the clouds I presume?
    Anyways Jedito should be proud of this review, It is not everyday that such reviews show up here on WHT that are very informative.

I am glad Jedito has this one in the bag.

Excellent review from a host that provides sharp services it seems no doubt. Informative reviews are some of the better ones out there, well done and keep it alive
    Personal Blog: Here | Currently Hosted By: GoDaddy | Twitter: @Quartz87

All joking aside, I've actually pointed quite a few people Jedito's way.

Great guy...great company.

owm
    ()
    Life's what you make it.

Quote Originally Posted by db09 View Post
    Will do.

By the way, Hi from down 75!

Ah! Hello back. I visit cinci quite often. Staying in Dayton for too long at a time makes you a little bit crazy, so I have to get out of town from time to time.

I hope all of the storms and twisters didn't make it all the way down to you tonight. It's been fun up here (by fun, I mean super windy and insanely heavy raining lol). Keep up the good reviews.

Hi,

I'm glad to hear you're happy with DowntownHost - I hear nothing but good things about them nowadays!

Thanks for sharing a detailed review on DTH. Expecting more updates in future.

I wanted to add one thing for bloggers -

DTH is hyperfast when updating plugins and the script itself. I have run in to problems with slow update speed in the past..not the case here.

I just updated the script and it was damn near instantaneous.

Thanks for the detailed and well-organized review!

Thanks for sharing your experience with us, hope you continue to have a good one!

Thank you very much for your review Dave We will work hard in order of keep you happy with us.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I don't want to say bad things about DownTownHost, I've been with them for about 10 months and they have been EXCELLENT!!

I wanted to ask if anyone else has been having MySQL issues lately though? I'm not a big MySQL DB user at all, I just use it to track some cookies and for some very light forums. Total DB size is about 10 MB or something.

I've received hundreds of emails over the last few weeks saying "too many connections" or something about a could not connect to socket error.

When I asked DTH about this, they originally said I exceeded the 50 user connection limit per account (I very much doubt it). I added some logging to spit out my connections (showprocesslist) which confirmed it wasn't me.

When I emailed DTH support again they haven't replied with an answer as to what is going on?!

I also noticed that I can no longer run the mysql or mysqladmin commands via SSH as I permanently get the same socket error.

ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

Surely, I cannot be the only person with this issues, on what has otherwise been a flawless service? Like I said I don't want to knock DTH perhaps this is just some weird issue on my server or something.
    Chazza
    From the land down under

I've received hundreds of emails over the last few weeks saying "too many connections" or something about a could not connect to socket error
    Whenever this happen, most of the time is caused by the account owner reaching the max user connection, however, if many people does it, it does reach the max server connections. Many times this is caused by Search Engine spiders visiting sites leaving persisting mysql connections.
    ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
    That's because the Jailed Shell, open a help desk ticket and request a change on the SSH and the issue will be solved.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

They already sorted out the jail shell issue, so yep happy with that.

Just wish I could get a clear answer about the MySQL connection limit. It can't be hitting my own account limit. I'll keep an eye on this though.
    Chazza
    From the land down under

Just coming up on a month and I figured I would update this thread.

Things have continued to go excellently. I am especially appreciative of the support I've receive from Sebastian. There was a hump along the way with cPanel generating backups and to my understanding it was due to the account hosted being a reseller account previously but nevertheless, Sebastian sorted it out with the cPanel folks and my back ups are now back on and operational.

Thanks again to Jedito, Sebastian and DTH. I have moved a few additional sites over (including the one in my sig) and all are functioning extremely well.

Tops on the cake, according to Basicstate, uptime is at an absolutely stellar 100% since I have joined.

w00t

Dave

Updates are always a good thing, and they're especially refreshing when the news are positive. Do bump this thread from time to time Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    Updates are always a good thing, and they're especially refreshing when the news are positive. Do bump this thread from time to time Dave!
    Bumping threads are against WHT rules . Just joking. Yeah as Dan said regular updates ofcourse make a review more helpful. Since it is a graph of how the things have been progressing since one started hosting with a company. Any way thanks for the update db09.

Bumping threads are against WHT rules
    Yeah, strictly speaking, you're right, but moderators are not automatons. We can make the difference between an update and a needless bump. The rule itself, if you look at its text in detail, suggests that it relies on that.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    Yeah, strictly speaking, you're right, but moderators are not automatons. We can make the difference between an update and a needless bump. The rule itself, if you look at its text in detail, suggests that it relies on that.
    Yes Dan the rule specifically states about it. And as you know I was just joking.

Quit being a hater, Matt.

What is Downtown Host's policy on backups? Do they backup our web sites? Are these off-site? Should we be doing our own (I do anyway)?
    Chazza
    From the land down under

Thanks for the review. This would be helpful if I was looking for a new company.
    VPSforMe.com - OpenVZ Virtualization with SolusVM Control Panel on High Quality Servers.
    VPSforMe.com - Inexpensive VPSs with great features.
    VPSforMe.com - 24/7 Ticket Support with FAST Replies
    VPSforMe.com - CEO Jackson H - [email protected]

What's your budget?

Seriously, what's your budget?

Another happy user.. thanks for sharing your experience so far, its always nice to hear a good review. =)

Quote Originally Posted by db09 View Post
    Quit being a hater, Matt.
    Oh I missed that mate. Yeah sure I will follow that in future.

Quote Originally Posted by Chazza View Post
    What is Downtown Host's policy on backups? Do they backup our web sites? Are these off-site? Should we be doing our own (I do anyway)?
    They use R1Soft's CDP software to take multiple daily back ups.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast