How to assign ip to virtual machine on sofllayer?

I using xen for virtual machines,and i know how to install one and how to install os into it.But since one of methods to install it is to use web mirror,that means internet connection on vm need to work after setting ip and nameservers.I know which gateway and nameservers are needed.
    Do i need to,to make it work,first remove ip which i want to assign from host machine?Or is it something else?

You need to first make sure you have a static IP block that is routed to your VLAN (see http://knowledgelayer.softlayer.com/...able+IP+blocks under the "Portable IP Block" section) - you can open up a support ticket with them for help/info on that. When you have that new subnet, there will be a gateway address. You'll need a public subnet to get to the world, and a private subnet to get to their dns servers (or you can use the dns servers at OpenDNS also)
    01 Networks / Hosting and Consulting Services
    Pay as you Go hosting -- the cheapest prices in town.
    Zimbra (Network Edition and Open Source) Hosting
    100% full uptime guarantee / 24x7x365 support

Actually i am not on softlayer directly,i am on softlayer resseler and they dont give support for vm's at all.All i want is to use one ip for xen guest machine(seems os cannot be installed if there is not ip on beggining which can connect to internet,since mirror is requied)
    I think i need to brigde somehow virtual network to desired ip adress,i just don't know how.

Quote Originally Posted by roguehosting View Post
    Actually i am not on softlayer directly,i am on softlayer resseler and they dont give support for vm's at all.All i want is to use one ip for xen guest machine(seems os cannot be installed if there is not ip on beggining which can connect to internet,since mirror is requied)
    I think i need to brigde somehow virtual network to desired ip adress,i just don't know how.
    even if your not with the softlayer directly,u can ask your reseller to give Portable IP Block i think they can help u
    HostNotch Hosting Services 99.9% uptime Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting
    yajur | Sales Team
    CPanel Hosting • R1 Soft • Offsite-Backup • Great Uptime
    http://hostnotch.com sales @ hostnotch.com

Quote Originally Posted by yajur View Post
    even if your not with the softlayer directly,u can ask your reseller to give Portable IP Block i think they can help u
    Yes they said they can give me portable ip block of 8 ip's for 8$.
    But what's next?I mean how do i implement that into xen?
    Last edited by linuxfan; 08-24-2009 at 07:03 AM.

Actually i think portable ip block is not needed,that is required only for hyper-vm while this is xen.

Quote Originally Posted by roguehosting View Post
    Actually i think portable ip block is not needed,that is required only for hyper-vm while this is xen.
    HyperVM is just a management portal for Xen/OpenVZ

You don't need the IPs to be portable unless you want to be able to move them to a different physical server at-will.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    HyperVM is just a management portal for Xen/OpenVZ

You don't need the IPs to be portable unless you want to be able to move them to a different physical server at-will.
    That what i was though.So question remaining how to assign ip adress to xen virtual machine before install.

Anyway i found tutorial on softlayer forum,seems there is required to order additional ip block plus do some network changes.