Question Renting Servers Out

Hi guys, I need advice.

At home, I have been landed with 2 servers which a friend was using them for some 'neighborhood' gaming for all the kids to play CSS, TF2 ect. together, and he doesnt want them anymore.

I have just spent a fortune upgrading (1,800.00-ish), and I have been approched by someone who wants them for 2799.99, which I thought was good, but I also heard about rent them our to Data Centers.

If was to approch a Datacenter with them (not litterly with them), Would data centers consider renting these off me? Are they up to scratch? Or doesnt It work like that?

Opinions needed.

Server 1 Specs:

Core i7 Extreem-975 - 4.00GHz
    8GB RAM
    2 TB Memory
    Windows Server 2008

Server 2 Specs

Core i7 Extreem-950 - 3.06GHz
    8GB RAM
    2 TB Memory
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
    Garbott Ltd - Professional web development & consultancy services
    Oxford.Hosting - Prestigious shared, cloud, dedicated and gaming hosting solutions.

I'm not sure a datacentre will be interested in renting hardware from you.

What you can do however is colocate those servers in a datacentre, and then lease them out to people.

Bear in mind it's going to take a long time to get a return if you do go down that route.

Quote Originally Posted by PCS-Chris View Post
    What you can do however is colocate those servers in a datacentre, and then lease them out to people.

Bear in mind it's going to take a long time to get a return if you do go down that route.
    Hmm I see your point, Plus to make ANY profit from them will probley take over a year or 2. I might just sell 'em then, make a bit of bob, and Start over again =D.

Thanks
    Oxford.Hosting - Prestigious shared, cloud, dedicated and gaming hosting solutions.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but a data center is not going to rent two servers from you. In fact, no data center I've ever been associated with or heard of "rents" servers. If they are leasing anything, it would normally be direct from a manufacturer such as Dell, HP, or IBM or a large leasing company like CDW.

Most facilities are going to lean towards the larger manufacturers because they standardize on equipment, support, and replacement parts.

Additionally - I'm not a CPU expert, but it sounds like you have the desktop versions of those processors. I believe they just came out with the server (Xeon) versions. You're best of just keeping them for your own use, whatever it may be.

Ah, okey.

I would be better off flogging them then. And yes, they are High-end desktop/Low-end server CPU's but are pretty powerful, ideal for Gaming/Small Business's network. It was a idea someone had surgested to me, so i thought I'd better check that it is a good idea on here, but clearly not.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jwebhost View Post
    Hi guys, I need advice.

At home, I have been landed with 2 servers which a friend was using them for some 'neighborhood' gaming for all the kids to play CSS, TF2 ect. together, and he doesnt want them anymore.

I have just spent a fortune upgrading (1,800.00-ish), and I have been approched by someone who wants them for 2799.99, which I thought was good, but I also heard about rent them our to Data Centers.

If was to approch a Datacenter with them (not litterly with them), Would data centers consider renting these off me? Are they up to scratch? Or doesnt It work like that?

Opinions needed.

Server 1 Specs:

Core i7 Extreem-975 - 4.00GHz
    8GB RAM
    2 TB Memory
    Windows Server 2008

Server 2 Specs

Core i7 Extreem-950 - 3.06GHz
    8GB RAM
    2 TB Memory
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
    I would give you $500,000 dollars for a server with "2TB memory". Seriously.

Seriously, people need to be able to tell the difference between memory and hard drives.

If you had an offer to buy them for 2799, definitely sell it to the idiot. I wouldn't have paid that much for an overclocked i7 processor without ECC memory for server usage, oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by tshen83 View Post
    I would give you $500,000 dollars for a server with "2TB memory". Seriously.
    Sorry, just a bad habbit.

But the servers can surport up to 40 Pc's each. So its ideal for small business's which I think is what the guy wanted it for.

I would imagine you're going to have a hard time renting the servers to a datacenter. They are going to want hardware warranty's and probably new hardware, not something from someone coming in off the street with them.
    Larry Bly
    Sandbox IT Solutions, LLC.
    www.SandboxITSolutions.com
    Dedicated Servers - Web Hosting - Consulting Services

Quote Originally Posted by jwebhost View Post
    Sorry, just a bad habbit.

But the servers can surport up to 40 Pc's each. So its ideal for small business's which I think is what the guy wanted it for.
    It is a decent computer. But servers don't overclock. Servers typically use ECC ram. There are way too many dediated server host people selling non-ecc based Core2Quads because "Google" used to buy crappy celerons. That is a myth, because nobody in this world has Google's infallable software infrastructure to support non-ECC ram based servers.

The i7-Extreme CPU was designed for people who had too much money burning a hole in their pocket, who by the way, don't know jack squat about hardware in the first place. If you really want to overclock an i7 based CPU for server usage, I would have done it with a Xeon W3520 D0, which will easily do 3.6Ghz-4.0Ghz, and supports ECC ram for only $300 on the market. Why would you get 4.0Ghz from an i7 Extreme(which isn't D0 for the first batch it came out)?

When someone offers you 2799 pounds for an overclocked i7, you sell it to them with a big smile on your face, because once they found out what they really bought, they probably don't want to see you again

Edit to the last post. I just checked Intel Processor sspec website and i7-Extreme 965 was C0 when it was launched, but i7-975 was D0 when it launched. The argument still doesn't change, when Xeons 35xx and 55xx are all guaranteed to be D0s and offer ECC support and higher temperature tolerance.

I've never really heard of people over clocking servers? Servers are soposed to be stable, and you generally don't have room in the case to put modified cooling equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by skullbox View Post
    I've never really heard of people over clocking servers? Servers are soposed to be stable, and you generally don't have room in the case to put modified cooling equipment.
    If they're not in a rack case, it'd be entirely possible to put after market coolers in.