Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does hosting in US, UK feasible for Saudi Arabia

I am trying to search for web hosts providing good speed and uptime for webpages hosted from Saudi Arabia. Any decent plan would work as the websites are just informational.

I believe a server located close always makes a difference but the web hosts in Saudi Arabia are insanely high priced with lots of limitations and to get a good plan you need to pay as high as $40 - $50 whereas, for a similar hosting plan in US would be available for less than $5.

I would like your help to choose a host provider, if someone earlier had a similar experience or if someone would like to notify me about his good experience with any provider, i would really appreciate it.

I have been trying to search but dont believe the reviewing sites so thought of better posting the question here.

You know if you have web hosting account in the US or Canada you will have some delays in SA. But if you are with good web host which have fast network providers I suppose that delay will not be visible at all.

I have seen people prefer UK web hosting to the US web hosting when they are in the Asia. So I assume that might be better have the one from there. But at the same time UK web hosts might appear a bit expensive then US located ones
    ASPnix Web Hosting - ASP.NET, MS SQL, AJAX, Hyper-V
    Microsoft Hosting and Virtualization

I am trying to search for web hosts providing good speed and uptime for webpages hosted from Saudi Arabia. Any decent plan would work as the websites are just informational.
    So the site is just basically all static, No images, No video, No stream?

I believe a server located close always makes a difference but the web hosts in Saudi Arabia are insanely high priced with lots of limitations and to get a good plan you need to pay as high as $40 - $50 whereas, for a similar hosting plan in US would be available for less than $5.
    Depends on your target audience, If most of your clients are from Saudi-Arabia then it would be best to get hosting in and around your location, Usually recommended. Usually people who signup for hosting via Saudi-Arabia, Egypt and supposed locations close are usually flagged as fraudulent due to their country or area being a high risk for know fraudulent activies. Not saying this is the problem here at all.

I am not familiar with SA Webhosts so cannot comment on their pricings and or range, They do not have a different currency that it differenciates to the same totals in US dollars?

I would like your help to choose a host provider, if someone earlier had a similar experience or if someone would like to notify me about his good experience with any provider, i would really appreciate it.
    There are many suitable webhosts under this quote "Host Provider", What are you current usages and or requirements if any?
    I have been trying to search but dont believe the reviewing sites so thought of better posting the question here.
    Revewing sites are usually all affiliated and almost always have the same hosts but in different rates, Personally I would ditch the top hosts and search for something better suited to your requirements.

So you have a budget of $5.00, Though what are your expectations, Bandwidth, Speed, Space, Features etc?

I have seen people prefer UK web hosting to the US web hosting when they are in the Asia. So I assume that might be better have the one from there. But at the same time UK web hosts might appear a bit expensive then US located ones
    UK webhosts have been known to be quite good, I overall generally do not see much of a difference between them. I do not tend to notice much lag even from my location hosting with a server in central America the loads are quite good in comparison

Sean
    Last edited by Sparrow-Sean; 08-19-2009 at 03:40 AM.
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

Hi,

I would recommend amanah.com They have a data-center in Dubai, You just need to ask them for hosting... They have been doing hosting for long time but just do not advertise it so much on there website. And yes I used them for Dedicated server in Canada a few years back.

- Josh
    Automated, Secure & Low Cost cPanel Backups (on the cloud)
    For Users & Web Hosting Providers - User Backups

I think the main difference between UK and USA hosts is that you see a lot more overselling in the USA. The USA hosting market is a lot more saturated than in the UK so lots of hosts are overselling their service in an effort to compete with the bigger players. That's just my opinion of course

Quote Originally Posted by Paul-UKWSD View Post
    I think the main difference between UK and USA hosts is that you see a lot more overselling in the USA. The USA hosting market is a lot more saturated than in the UK so lots of hosts are overselling their service in an effort to compete with the bigger players. That's just my opinion of course
    Pretty much agree, we often get sales tickets asking about us giving out small quotas and can be supply "unlimited" this and that as HostGator can do it, they mainly come from people in the USA.

Pretty much agree, we often get sales tickets asking about us giving out small quotas and can be supply "unlimited" this and that as HostGator can do it, they mainly come from people in the USA.
    Its a shame to get tickets like that, However personally I think the market is starting to swing back to reasonable quota's. I suppose you got to ask your self as well when people refer to HG for example's why are they not using them then ?

Quote Originally Posted by verdictjosh View Post
    Its a shame to get tickets like that, However personally I think the market is starting to swing back to reasonable quota's. I suppose you got to ask your self as well when people refer to HG for example's why are they not using them then ?
    We've had a couple contact us this week because HostGator we're hacked, so i'd assume it's because they are looking to move? I was skeptical at first but we've had a number of enquries.

Thanks for all the feedback.

I would like to start with ATH-Sean:

Our website is informational website about our company and our services, but will obvioulsy include images, some downloadable data like catalogue, brochures etc.

Our main audience is Saudi Arabia, and i know the problem u r talking about as we have encountered it earlier. Mostly the mails are returned back.
    Just to have a look u can go to sahara.com, which is a complete local server based company and you can see their rates. ($1=SR3.755)

I cannot find the heading "Host Provider", would appreciate if you can link me to it.

The budget is not $5, but obviously looking for good prices also. My plan was for something in the range of $10 and can exceed depending on the services provided. Well i dont have much experience in this field so cannot say what bandwith, speed, space are good and needed. As a layman will go with the bigger numbers.

My objective was to first know if US hosting is as effecient for SA market as a UK or Europe hosting, then go ahead by selecting a good host in the selected region.

Hopefully seeing the responses, it will help me reach my conclusion soon.

Quote Originally Posted by verdictjosh View Post
    Hi,

I would recommend amanah.com They have a data-center in Dubai, You just need to ask them for hosting... They have been doing hosting for long time but just do not advertise it so much on there website. And yes I used them for Dedicated server in Canada a few years back.

- Josh
    I dont find their rates on the website.

I dont find their rates on the website.
    Give them a call or email them

Most US hosts will have a good connection to Saudi Arabia, as it is part of the EU. Generally you'll find the central or west coast hosts will have the better connection (less hops). For good speed, you'll be looking to ping them and download a file from then (download speeds).

I understand about Saudi Arabian web hosts - I've seen some of their prices and they blow you away (but the wrong way). US hosts are generally cheaper than UK if you're looking for cheaper package.

Check out such things as their Support and Uptime SLAs, previous reviews and network information. All of these will probably impact on your service.

Tip: Use the Search Bar for reviews and other information.

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Oliver View Post
    Most US hosts will have a good connection to Saudi Arabia, as it is part of the EU.
    It is? I thought it was part of Asia?

EU/Asia, it looked like it on Google Maps. It's near the EU anyway.

slyshooter I think you are worrying needlessly. I doubt the location of the provider will make much difference in speed. That is something that only matters for specialized applications like large scale video streaming and game servers. For a simple company site I recommend you could go with any host that has a good reputation. Check out the share hosting offers section:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

Use the search bar at the top right of the page to search for reviews of hosting providers you are interested in. That way you can gauge their reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by slyshooter View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback.

I would like to start with ATH-Sean:

Our website is informational website about our company and our services, but will obvioulsy include images, some downloadable data like catalogue, brochures etc.

Our main audience is Saudi Arabia, and i know the problem u r talking about as we have encountered it earlier. Mostly the mails are returned back.
    Just to have a look u can go to sahara.com, which is a complete local server based company and you can see their rates. ($1=SR3.755)

I cannot find the heading "Host Provider", would appreciate if you can link me to it.

The budget is not $5, but obviously looking for good prices also. My plan was for something in the range of $10 and can exceed depending on the services provided. Well i dont have much experience in this field so cannot say what bandwith, speed, space are good and needed. As a layman will go with the bigger numbers.

My objective was to first know if US hosting is as effecient for SA market as a UK or Europe hosting, then go ahead by selecting a good host in the selected region.

Hopefully seeing the responses, it will help me reach my conclusion soon.

Your best bet at this point is to give a US-based host a try, sign up for an account and see if you notice any speed issues that might convince you to switch to a host that is closer to home. Most hosts offer a money-back trial period, often ranging from 15-60 days, so you should have plenty of time to make your mind. You can also sign up for two hosts, one in the UK and one in the US, and see if you notice any difference between the two. Then simply request a refund from one and keep the other. Personally I doubt you will notice too much of a difference if your site is just static, but you can never tell for sure.

You will likely get less latency from a UK host as simply look at a map the UK is considerably nearer.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

Agree with the above. I also have an informational website project geared toward the arabic speaking market. I'm starting small, so using a server in the US isn't a problem until traffic grows appreciably.

I would say go with a server in the US if cost is an issue, and scale up as you can afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by Website themes View Post
    slyshooter I think you are worrying needlessly. I doubt the location of the provider will make much difference in speed. That is something that only matters for specialized applications like large scale video streaming and game servers. For a simple company site I recommend you could go with any host that has a good reputation. Check out the share hosting offers section:

Use the search bar at the top right of the page to search for reviews of hosting providers you are interested in. That way you can gauge their reputation.

Thanks for the response, actually this is what i asked if location matters a lot.

I will review these hosts and post the choice here on this link.

One more think to know was does it make a difference with Linux based or Windows based server?

A few suggestions on hosts to focus on would be appreciated. (was hoping if someone could narrow down choices)

Quote Originally Posted by slyshooter View Post
    Thanks for the response, actually this is what i asked if location matters a lot.

I will review these hosts and post the choice here on this link.

One more think to know was does it make a difference with Linux based or Windows based server?

A few suggestions on hosts to focus on would be appreciated. (was hoping if someone could narrow down choices)
    Linux or windows based only matters if your site uses ASP.NET. Does it use asp.net? If it does then you will need windows hosting. If not then either linux or windows will do.

Linux or windows based only matters if your site uses ASP.NET. Does it use asp.net? If it does then you will need windows hosting. If not then either linux or windows will do.
    The webpage is not devloped yet but i checked the the web-designers and they prefer something with Asp and .net support. So I believe i should go for Windows bases.

I have seen good comments on Precision Effect and itsjusthosting, any comments on these. I know they are not the top players but we dont need the best prices but the best support & service.

Hi,

In which case, I'd check the Windows forum for more information or the Shared Hosting offers section generally. You should be able to find some pretty competitive deals.

Good luck in finding a new web host. I wish you all the best.

There is not reason your website to get hosted in U.S. or UK data center. Of course the connectivity would not be a problem and I don;t expect you to get slow response or something like that. However it is much better to find any web hosting provider in continental Europe, or even it its eastern part. Turkey is also a good option.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

slyshooter I think you are worrying needlessly. I doubt the location of the provider will make much difference in speed.
    Location is everything when it comes to speed with web sites, when I view USA hosted sites they are slower then when I load UK hosted sites. If it's closer then there's less distance for the data to travel so it loads faster, fact.

If you wanted to get the most from your hosting provider in the sense of faster pinging on loading your website content for your visitors, it is advisable you choose your local country hosting data center.
    But, USA and UK hosting server are good if your are targeting international audience for your website.

The closer you get the better speed is what you get.
    Well the prices at sahara.com are about 3 times the normal US/EU price or a bit more.
    Where will the visitors of your website come from?
    Will a local hosting pay back?

Don't go for Windows server. It will cost you more then Linux on any level - from service fees, to security and system management.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

Quote Originally Posted by ludwigvb View Post
    The closer you get the better speed is what you get.
    Well the prices at sahara.com are about 3 times the normal US/EU price or a bit more.
    Where will the visitors of your website come from?
    Will a local hosting pay back?
    The website will contain local visitors mostly, and i cannot go with a local hosting server due to very high prices and very bad service, in terms of cancellation, payback and customer service.

It is actually not the matter of one website, We have to host 3 of them for the group of companies, we own, apart from this later on there will be many more coming up as we provide internet marketing solutions, so obviously we give consultations on different aspects, and there are always chances that we get the web development part too (which normally we outsource but soon will establish our own.

My idea is to choose 2 hosting sites for these, and then stick to one that suits best. The question remains which 2

I am now searching for Europe hosts only, USA is out of question, as i can get a little bit speed advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by HostColor View Post
    Don't go for Windows server. It will cost you more then Linux on any level - from service fees, to security and system management.
    You also get better uptime on a linux box as you don't need to reboot after windows updates

Quote Originally Posted by rtccroy View Post
    If you wanted to get the most from your hosting provider in the sense of faster pinging on loading your website content for your visitors, it is advisable you choose your local country hosting data center.
    But, USA and UK hosting server are good if your are targeting international audience for your website.
    I know this, but in comparison to the services offered, I am better off paying outside.
    e.g. i had to chase my earlier local host for more than 2 weeks just to reset the FTP password.
    Last edited by slyshooter; 08-21-2009 at 09:45 AM.

I've looked at some of the main "trunks" of communication lines, and it appears one runs straight through SA. This normally shows that in most cases a data center in the US might have a very near invisible delay compared to something closer. I'm going to assume data centers in the US would work extremely well for some one in SA.
    The Web Hosting Network
    Innovative Hosting Solutions Personal Support & Sales
    Superior Web Site Hosting Since 1999

Cannot find Windows based host in Europe

I did some search and tried to find some good web hosts that are based in Europe but unfortunately every time i end up with the Linux based. The following was what i thought of moving in.

• StableHost
    • Pixelbite.co.uk
    • Downtownhost
    • HostColor
    • PrecisionEffect
    • ItsJusthosting (crazy prices atm thought its US)

but unfortunately I cannot chose any of these, as the website is based on ASP language.

Can anyone help in finding me a good host in Europe that supports the following:

Windows based
    300/400 MB space
    1GB bandwith (not necessarily can be even lesser than that)
    Fantastico (or any other blog A MUST)
    WHM panel (not a must - but if it is there would definitely prefer it)
    budget can go till $12(10)

Would appreciate all help possible, as don't have much time left

I think that cPanel can run only on Linux.
    Enkompass is cPanel's suite for windows.
    http://www.cpanel.net/windows/overview.html

My opinion is that windows is not safe for web hosting.

Why Is that?

Well the way I see it mate, is all the major banks, media, company's use windows hosting... I guess you could say it may be alot more secure...

Quote Originally Posted by ludwigvb View Post
    I must say, I do not agree with your opinion. Though Linux is more convenient than Windows when it comes to hosting features and management, however, "windows is not safe for hosting" does not make sense, atleast for me. A Windows server that is conigured properly and secured with the best applications can prove to be as secure as a linux server.

Ofc this is my personal opinion and if Windows had been unsafe for hosting, all windows servers would have been penetrated (hacked) by now - including Microsoft Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by HostColor View Post
    For all those users who mention Windows is not safe for hosting, I agree with HostColor' statement that it will cost you for its licenses, security and server management. However, this does not prove that windows is UNSAFE for hosting. If the hosting providers spend on security and server management, then it is as safe as Linux. However, you need to spend more than what you spend for a linux server and things such as valid licenses, maintaining updates and security, managing the server etc.

Finally i come down to 2 of them which fit my criteria, both UK based providing Windows based hosting.

WebHostUk.net and webfusion

will try to finalize now (tired of searching)
    Last edited by slyshooter; 08-22-2009 at 07:58 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast