Best coding for SEO

Hi all,

I'm wondering what the best coding techniques are for SEO? What coding has advantages over others for google rankings? Other than html, what other types of coding can be used? How can I tell what type of coding a page or website is using. For example, what coding are these pages using:

Thanks

You can look at the page extension, PHP is very popular, I personally prefer a mix of xhtml/css and php for the header and footer so I can update them both through one file.
    HostREA.com
    kirk[@]hostrea.com
    Shared / Reseller cPanel Web Hosting
    WHMCS Templates -Ready to go instant downloads.

Thanks. I heard to stay far away from flash...true?

I would select XHTML / CSS and then PHP. I would defiantly stay away from Flash. Most of the time I code in XHTML / CSS and then insert PHP call pages so I can add links to a navigation quickly without editing a 100 pages. Best of luck to you!
    We develop brand identity for the web.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Services ~ Custom Web Design, Branding & Identity, Development, Hosting & more!
    Portfolio ~ Websites, User Interfaces, Widgets & more!

Quote Originally Posted by ddzc View Post
    Flash can be made SEO compliant just like factors of XHTML, although it's not worth your while when jQuery is doing such a great job (that's of course unless you want the flash for movies/headers with a lot of animation/etc).

Keep it simple, SE's love simple stuff. Make sure you ALT tag all of your images, keep the content fresh and popular, make sure your keywords are buzzing and get those backlinks on the go from reputable high PR sites.

But yeah, XHTML and CSS for me .. I don't even both with PHP unless I really need it for something (like my client workspace system).
    DesignBear.com
    View Portfolio

A trusted WHT member for over 7 years!

Even if you use some PHP on your site, the frontend will still be rendered and outputted in HTML. So coding wise only you'll want to focus on semantic markup for optimal SEO.
    cPanelDesigns - High Quality & Mobile Ready cPanel Themes

Thumbs up

Personally, Flash is too time consuming, but I have noticed more complete Flash sites (once in awhile) showing up high in the Search Engines.

I prefer PHP, but any html will do the job, and asp if you can do it right.
    Giving my opinions and thoughts the Moxie Way

If you are planning to use Flash for your website, just use it in a certain part of a website and not make it a full-Flash site. This is because search engines crawl and index sites that are HTML based better than Flash sites. When coding for SEO, just ensure that you use proper heading tags and alt tags for images.

Some Flash effects can be duplicated thru CSS and JavaScript. Better stay away from Flash.. unless you are into movie marketing business... just kidding.

PHP is good if you want a standard header and footer for each page but..
    I would rather optimized each page to particular keyword(s) rather have the same meta content for keywords and description on all website pages.

..but it's just my opinion.

Hi all,

I'm wondering what the best coding techniques are for SEO? What coding has advantages over others for google rankings? Other than html, what other types of coding can be used? How can I tell what type of coding a page or website is using. For example, what coding are these pages using:

Thanks
    I do not thing any special code may help SEO, all are same.. and do no find any relation btw script and SEo. speed is an important part in SEO, but if any code is well optimized then get good performance...

I agree with shakir opinion there no special code for seo all are same.

Hi,
    PHP and HTML are popular u can use these codings.

Quote Originally Posted by Moxie Maxwell View Post
    I prefer PHP, but any html will do the job, and asp if you can do it right.
    I have to say, I'm quite confused about some of the stuff being mentioned here. ASP and PHP are just scripting languages, I don't see what they have to do with SEO.

There is no difference to the client between this:
    Response.Write("<strong>Hello World</strong>")
    this:
    <?php echo "<strong>Hello World</strong>"; ?>
    and this:
    <strong>Hello World</strong>

The concern I might have would be with server side technologies that render the pages or controls for you, so you might have less control over the markup that is produced. My only real experience in this field is with ASP.Net 2.0, and from what I can tell, the controls seem to output relatively semantic HTML.

Edit - some tips that may be of use:

Use semantic (X)HTML - i.e. use the relevant tag for the information you are displaying.
    E.g. Lists are good for site navigation
    Tables are absolutely fine for tabular data, but not for layout. Also, use <fieldset>, <label>s and style them with CSS to layout your forms, not tables.

As has been mentioned, use alt tags and title tags for images.

Each page should have a <h1> tag, use <h2> and so on for sub-titles.
    Last edited by Eoin_; 08-25-2009 at 07:55 AM.

From the seo point of view try to use .htm on pages.Search engine values .htm rather than .php.

PHP is very useful and open source application so it would be easy to use for coding

Quote Originally Posted by ddwebguru View Post
    From the seo point of view try to use .htm on pages.Search engine values .htm rather than .php.
    That's interesting, I haven't heard that before. I would have thought that using meaningful file names would be better e.g.
    www.site.com/our_annual_report_2009.php
    is better than
    http://www.site.com/readcontent.php?...something=else

But I've never heard that there was a difference with the file name extensions...

Quote Originally Posted by redesignunit
    PHP is very useful and open source application so it would be easy to use for coding
    What does the server-side scripting language have to do the quality of the HTML?