Hostgator.com.br bad speeds [+Questions]

Hello, I have recently signed up in the shared hosting service in the hostgator.com.br because hostgator is well known for its quality and speed, but I am disappointed because here my sites and ftp loads too slowly.

Ping to Brazil is in most time at 600ms, recently is at 250ms but my websites don't load that fast (I have only html sites doing about 2500 visits a day all, and 1 blog doing less than 50 visits a day), I can't access my blog administration pages as fast as I want and as fast I was doing at uolhost.com.br, one month ago, when I decided to transfer all my websites to hostgator.

I talked +- 3 times about it in the live support and they always showed me this website http://www.ping.eu/ saying that the web speed was excellent as they tested in the site showed above. It is a fact that according to the site the speed is great but it is not to Brazil! Only for another location! Why hostgator offer a brazilian website and have a brazilian office if they cannot guarantee great speeds in Brazil? (I know that brazilian hostgator are in us servers as the man has said to me but at least they should give some premium traffic because I am paying much money to have a great service).

And for the last the live support says that the fault is of my ISP, but I disagree with that because when my websites ping were in 600 the ping to another sites such resellerzoom.com and hostdime.com were in 250ms.

Well sorry for my english here but it was my best trying to explain my disappointment.

There are some points that I want to discuss here:

------------------

How are you people going with hostgator? Are they fast, good?

------------------

As I have said, I was hosted in uolhost.com.br and their speed and quality was very good (much more superior than I am having with hostgator), I still have 1 month with them so I can change back to uolhost.com.br if the problem is not resolved. But people here may ask why if I'm satisfied with their service I have changed to hostgator? Well, the first of all was because I thought I could have the same speed and quality with hostgator for 2.75 dollars more. The second is because uolhost.com.br doesnt have cpanel control panel, to add a new domains I had to call them to manually add a new one, cron jobs was the same case, and to point the domain to a folder i should edit the .htaccess file and make all manually, i think to add a new subdomain was the same case too. At all, despite the quality and speed of uolhost.com.br there were many disadvantage in hosting with them. So I have tried, why if i already pays 8.05 dollars/mo. for the service i cant pay more 2.75 dollars for a better one?

And also there were this situations:

- Most of my traffic are from Brazil. But I wanted try with hostgator because I was planning to offer services to US located people. Having a good website with fast loading pages should be a good first impression to people.

- USA have much better connections to the globe than Brazil and for this reason hosting in an US company should be a good deal.

----------------------------

with this situations I have some quetions:

- Should I back to uolhost.com.br?

- What ping are you getting accessing uol.com.br? (you can also try www.uol.com.br ping). Are the pages loading fast? From which location are you testing it?

------------------------------

So I am waiting here to someone answer my questions to make the decision to still hosting in hostgator or back to uolhost.com.br. My wish is to back to uolhost.com.br, but if people arent having good ping to the sites i said above (uolhost.com.br or uol.com.br) or the sites are loading too slowly I am in trouble and have to try to talk again with hostgator people.

*uolhost.com.br and uol.com.br aren't my sites or im not being paid or doing publicity of them here. they are a big company that holds the biggest journal and news portal in Brazil, i have no affiliation with them.

thx.

take a look.
    uolhost.com.br [200.98.199.177]
    hostgator.com.br [74.53.28.180]

200.98/16 = Brazil
    74.52/16 = USA (theplanet)

you have actualy moved away from your home contry, and expect the same latency / link quality , which will never happen.
    local ISP links would always be faster then offshore links.

about the slow blog panel , this could be one of your plugins which eats the CPU / memory , or they have put you on a slower machine then you used to run on.
    beast5.com © - Managed Hosting Solutions 2004 - 2016

Quote Originally Posted by celular View Post

- Most of my traffic are from Brazil. But I wanted try with hostgator because I was planning to offer services to US located people. Having a good website with fast loading pages should be a good first impression to people.

- USA have much better connections to the globe than Brazil and for this reason hosting in an US company should be a good deal.
    Sorry you are having these issues, latency will definitely be higher if you moved from UOL, Brazil local servers to hostgator especially since hostgator has servers in USA. So perhaps it is best you switch back to a Brazil server.

Another option which might be good since you mentioned you planned on offering services to US located people is you can have a plan in USA and Brazil then make it so if traffic comes from Brazil you make it route to your Brazil hosting, if it is OUTSIDE brazil you make it route to USA server this can be done too.

Firstly, have you spoken to Hostgator about your latency issues? I would suspect they would have the most information on why your routing my be so slow. From Dallas, TX, I am able to resolve the uolhost site quickly, though there are many hops. The pings are at about 180-200ms per hop.

I suggest you stick with Hostgator for your US needs, and UOL for your Brazilian clients.
    Machen N. Mathews - Limestone Networks - Business Development
    Cloud - Enterprise & Dedicated Hosting - Resell Dedicated Servers
    DDoS Protected - @LimestoneInc - 877.586.0555 x112
    Bitcoin? Coffee? Yes.

Wow I didn't even know about the hostgator br division, very interesting. Good luck and I think you should definitely try contacting them to see if they can help you resolve the issues first and i'm sure if it is within their power, they can/will definitely take care of it for you.

Good luck!
    █• CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    █• LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    █• HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    █• We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Quote Originally Posted by beastserv View Post
    take a look.
    uolhost.com.br [200.98.199.177]
    hostgator.com.br [74.53.28.180]

200.98/16 = Brazil
    74.52/16 = USA (theplanet)

you have actualy moved away from your home contry, and expect the same latency / link quality , which will never happen.
    local ISP links would always be faster then offshore links.

about the slow blog panel , this could be one of your plugins which eats the CPU / memory , or they have put you on a slower machine then you used to run on.
    yes, i know that and i dont expect the same latency to a server located in different countries but i expected something good enough to don't need a website hosted in brazil.

and no, there should not have a plugin that eats resources in my blog because i tested it in another 2 web hosts.

Quote Originally Posted by Machen - Limestone View Post
    Firstly, have you spoken to Hostgator about your latency issues? I would suspect they would have the most information on why your routing my be so slow. From Dallas, TX, I am able to resolve the uolhost site quickly, though there are many hops. The pings are at about 180-200ms per hop.

I suggest you stick with Hostgator for your US needs, and UOL for your Brazilian clients.
    yes i have talked to them 3 times, i think soon i will try to contact them again. The bad thing is that the person who answers my technical questions is always the same, and always he says that ping at ping.eu is ok and the problem is with my ISP. But looking that you can access the pages fast to uolhost.com.br i think i will back to them.
    Last edited by celular; 08-18-2009 at 09:10 PM.

traceroute should quickly confirm or deny their assessment.

I am in Cali, Colombia. Ping time to uol.com.br about 245 ms
    Traceroute to uol.com.br is via the USA, although we are in neighboring countries. I believe that if you want to serve Brazil, your web site should be hosted in Brazil or in the Miami - Ft. Lauderdale area. Your route to the USA, like mine, is probably via South Florida.

Celular, I work @ HostGator Brazil and we've never had this kind of complaint. I'll be more then happy to assist you on this issue until we find out what is going on. Please let me know your domain name and I'll get in touch with you right away.

hello, I was testing my two hosting accounts with wordpress installed (the same uolhost and hostgator), and recently i have noticed that the speed is getting better. i have tested with a watch, and these are the results:

day 19:

-hostgator (at night 8pm, -3gmt): opening index: 23,5s; accessing login page: 10,5s; logining: 15s; visiting add new page: 20s

ping: average: 400ms

-uolhost (at night 8pm, -3gmt): opening index: 6s; accessing login page: 3s; logining: 10,5s; visiting add new page: 8,5s

ping: average: 110ms

day 20: *I only have tested hostgator since this day because that speed was normal for uolhost where i was hosting my websites for 4 months

hostgator (at night 8pm, -3gmt): opening index: 12,5s; accessing login page: 6s; logining: 8s; visiting add new page: -*s (*i forgot to test it x,x)

day 21:

hostgator: (at dawn 1am, -3gmt) opening index: 6s; accessing login page: 2,5s; logining: 5s; visiting add new page: 7s

average ping: 170ms (this was the best ping i have ever got for that hour, before it was oscillating betwenn 400 and 600ms. my best before this was 180ms at dawn (5am, -3gmt)

well, i said that i will contact hostgator support for 1 more time to talk about it but i didnt yet. the fact is that i have approximately 40 days to deciding if i will stay or not. for the momment im deciding to stay if everything remains the same as it is doing recently. and another thing is that uolhost still having many disadvantages to host there so one thing balances the other, and by this way hostgator is more complete and user friendly.

lets see how it is going now

edit: *i have not noticed that hostgator did better speeds than uolhost, so i will make a test of uolhost to make a fair comparison, same day about 50min after hostgator test. but the both company have speeds that im expecting
    Last edited by celular; 08-21-2009 at 12:44 AM.

i did the test with uolhost and the speed was a little faster but now (or for the momment) the both have great speeds, there is nothing to complain. test results:

uolhost (day 21, 2am, -3gmt): opening index: 3s; accessing login page: 1s; logining: 3,5s; visiting add new page: 5,5s

ping average: 32ms

@celular, in which city do you live?

I must agree with that you have problens with your ISP:

C:\>ping uolhost.com.br

Disparando contra uolhost.com.br [200.98.199.177] com 32 bytes de dados:

Resposta de 200.98.199.177: bytes=32 tempo=16ms TTL=53
    Resposta de 200.98.199.177: bytes=32 tempo=15ms TTL=53
    Resposta de 200.98.199.177: bytes=32 tempo=14ms TTL=53

Estatísticas do Ping para 200.98.199.177:
    Pacotes: Enviados = 4, Recebidos = 4, Perdidos = 0 (0% de perda),
    Aproximar um número redondo de vezes em milissegundos:
    Mínimo = 14ms, Máximo = 16ms, Média = 15ms

C:\>ping hostgator.com.br

Disparando contra hostgator.com.br [74.53.28.180] com 32 bytes de dados:

Resposta de 74.53.28.180: bytes=32 tempo=152ms TTL=49
    Resposta de 74.53.28.180: bytes=32 tempo=153ms TTL=49
    Resposta de 74.53.28.180: bytes=32 tempo=156ms TTL=49

Estatísticas do Ping para 74.53.28.180:
    Mínimo = 152ms, Máximo = 156ms, Média = 153ms

C:\>
    * Visit the WHT Brazil: http://www.webhostingtalk.com.br * - * Follow us: http://twitter.com/WHT_Brasil*

Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    @celular, in which city do you live?

I must agree with that you have problens with your ISP:

C:\>ping uolhost.com.br

Disparando contra uolhost.com.br [200.98.199.177] com 32 bytes de dados:

Resposta de 200.98.199.177: bytes=32 tempo=15ms TTL=53
    Resposta de 200.98.199.177: bytes=32 tempo=14ms TTL=53

Estatísticas do Ping para 200.98.199.177:
    Mínimo = 14ms, Máximo = 16ms, Média = 15ms

C:\>ping hostgator.com.br

Disparando contra hostgator.com.br [74.53.28.180] com 32 bytes de dados:

Resposta de 74.53.28.180: bytes=32 tempo=153ms TTL=49
    Resposta de 74.53.28.180: bytes=32 tempo=156ms TTL=49

Estatísticas do Ping para 74.53.28.180:
    Mínimo = 152ms, Máximo = 156ms, Média = 153ms

C:\>
    hi, i live in curitiba, and you?

in the time i have posted this topic the speeds were really bad, but everything is ok for the momment now

hello, I am in Rio
    * Visit the WHT Brazil: http://www.webhostingtalk.com.br * - * Follow us: http://twitter.com/WHT_Brasil*