Wink Best place to advetise web design?

Don't worry I'm not another nuwb asking how to make a web hosting company.

Im just asking does anyone know how or where to advertise web design not web hosting? I've been trying to look for private websites in the UK where I can advertise but they all seem pretty crap with most of them only having a few hits.

I like the website buysellads.com but that is mainly US websites and Im looking for UK websites to advertise on. Is there a website like that but for the UK. My target market are small businesses and start ups.

Thanks

Trying to list your services on odesk.com, elance.com and the like would be a good start. Also provide a very good website for your design services complete with your portfolios.

Start by offering affordable services to build up your professional portfolio.

Participating in contest such as design99 would also be a good idea.
    We Have Generated Over 7 Million cPanel Backups Come Dance Together With Us Y'all!
    Offer Your Own Backup Hosting Service - SiteAutoBackup.Com (Private Label / WHMCS Ready)
    WebHostingBusinessBook.Com | YouTube.com/WebHostingTutorial | NowOpenOnline.Com

I was thinking about doing more local advertising instead of internet based advertising (for web design). I haven't looked at the numbers yet, as I am just considering ideas at this point... does anyone have any recommendations on pros/cons for focusing on local advertsing?

Quote Originally Posted by jrianto View Post
    Trying to list your services on odesk.com, elance.com and the like would be a good start. Also provide a very good website for your design services complete with your portfolios.

Start by offering affordable services to build up your professional portfolio.

Nice ideas, Thanks

You can participation in the forums discussion in the web designing section of your business related forums with getting the signature of your site on the forums.
    Support Facility | 24/7 web hosting technical support services
    Technical support | Server management | Data migration

Technical Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Republic Web Design View Post
    I was thinking about doing more local advertising instead of internet based advertising (for web design). I haven't looked at the numbers yet, as I am just considering ideas at this point... does anyone have any recommendations on pros/cons for focusing on local advertsing?
    I'm fairly familiar with how well local advertising will or will not work. Are you attempting radio, door to door, cold calling, etc? Tell me what ideas you have and I'll happily outline the ups and downs.
    Imeanwebhosting.com - Shared cpanel hosting, 99.9% uptime.
    10 min average ticket responses, softaculous, rvsitebuilder, and more!
    Reliable, affordable shared hosting. I Mean Web Hosting!

Get colored paper, neon green, neon pink, neon orange etc.

Talk to your local community groups and public services, such as boyscouts, rotaries, chamber of commerce, firestation, police station, dare, wish organizations, charities, etc.

As them for their bank donation locations, and for their permission to run an offer that for every customer that signs up for your hosting services, you will donate the first month's service payment to their cause.

List your services on the advertisement and give the customer a choice with the promo code next to each cause listed on your flier.

Go door to door and pass out the fliers.

Got me over 200 customers in one month.

In my experience, web design is much more successful based on a local basis, most people aren't willing to go with someone online and spend $500-$1000 or more. If you do want to start out online, checkout guru.com, I've gotten a few jobs this way. Word of mouth is priceless!
    The Web Hosting Network
    Innovative Hosting Solutions Personal Support & Sales
    Superior Web Site Hosting Since 1999

Thanks, all very helpful ideas. I am 2 months into my hosting/domain business and just found this forum so I looking for any suggesting available.

I know you said you're not really thinking about internet advertising but I think you need to SEO your site for a local area. For example, being found for SEO ......* would be useful.

*...... = town/city or area where you are based.

Being a web designer is hard job, you can not easily find costumers. If you are doing it in your town, try to advertise it to business people who really need a web presentation for their business.

I have noticed bus signs and billboards around my city for years. The company still pays to advertise there so it must be working for him.

Quote Originally Posted by jrianto View Post
    Contests are not always the best idea at all for a web or graphic designer. The contest itself is pretty much just another term for 'spec work', where the designer is spending valuable time putting together ideas for a project that they very likely will never win. It's a huge gamble, and you really should think about what value your time is to you.

Interesting link for you: http://www.no-spec.com/articles/design-contests/

If you aren't already, look for local clients to you. They're the best clients to have as you can meet them face-to-face and if you are managing the site for a monthly rate after you've designed it, then you can stop by every couple of weeks and catch up. Clients love the interaction with their designers - 90% of my design and marketing clients are local to me, and they're always really happy to see either myself or one of my colleagues.

If you need any help with searching locally, please feel free to PM me

try freelance sites like getafreelancer dot com

Quote Originally Posted by IMeanWebHosting View Post
    I'm fairly familiar with how well local advertising will or will not work. Are you attempting radio, door to door, cold calling, etc? Tell me what ideas you have and I'll happily outline the ups and downs.
    So far I have had some sales staff cold call virtually every local business with out a website in the yellow pages. This didn't get me one sale and really demotivated me alot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_webb View Post
    So far I have had some sales staff cold call virtually every local business with out a website in the yellow pages. This didn't get me one sale and really demotivated me alot.

Ouch... that is a bit of a let down. Are you sure the sales team is doing what they need to? You have to convey the importance of an internet presence to these companies, as well as make them aware of the amount of their potential customer base that would be coming from the internet. If you can convince someone that sales will go up more than enough to cover the cost of a website, it makes it tough for them to say no. If your sales team is doing fine at their job, then it sounds like one (or multiple) designers may have already done the "yellow pages" trick in your area, snatching up all of the companies that had a desire for a website. If that is the case, you have a few options.

1.) Chamber of Commerce in your area SHOULD sell you a list of brand new businesses in the area. This has the obvious advantage over the yellow pages, since these people probably haven't been asked about web design in the past.

2.) Move to radio if you can afford to, as it will reach a MUCH wider clientbase than just your yellow pages area.

3.) Get a copy of a yellow pages book from 15-20 miles away. Call all of those businesses, rinse, and repeat with a new location in another direction.

Just keep in mind that "success" in business, is mostly determined by how well you can go from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. If you keep your head up and keep trying, it will pay off in the long run. Good luck!
    Imeanwebhosting.com - Shared cpanel hosting, 99.9% uptime.
    10 min average ticket responses, softaculous, rvsitebuilder, and more!
    Reliable, affordable shared hosting. I Mean Web Hosting!

thanks IMeanWebHosting your post means alot to me. Im going to take your advice and hopefully I will get there. Thanks again.

I wanted to thank everyone for thier responses. I was expecting just a few comments, but there are several great ideas listed here. The first I'm going to go look at is the freelancer dot com one listed. Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by IMeanWebHosting View Post
    1.) Chamber of Commerce in your area SHOULD sell you a list of brand new businesses in the area. This has the obvious advantage over the yellow pages, since these people probably haven't been asked about web design in the past.
    Have you (or anyone else) specifically tried this? What kind of conversion rates did you get -- 1 out of 100?