Thread: Ubuntu Server?

Ubuntu Server?

Hi-

I have been researching the "best distro or OS for hosting" since before I first co-located in March... I originally went with Ubuntu because I knew very little about setting up LAMP so the step by step tutorials that were available were very helpful, but since then I have read some posts here that say very good for desktop but not for server... so what are the main reasons NOT to use it for a production server?

And if I'm now fairly comfortable with working on the linux server what would be the next distro or different OS to use without having to relearn much of what I'm doing if I havea good reason to switch?

The reason I say other OS is I did try FreeBSD first but was having issues finding step by step tutorials... but liked the reliability factor.

Thanks in advance.

Nothing wrong with ubuntu server LTS edition.

Use what you are comfortable with.

Well you can go for centos too . Its widely used as Server , please check their website http://centos.org/ . Ubuntu is very good as Desktop That is sure, though I have not used Ubuntu server edition much , I dont think it is bad . Also it is said that debian based servers are more stable than other flavors . If you are using any control panel too check for the compatablity with the server edition . For example cpanel the popular Webhosting control panel is good with centos and recommended .
    Regards,
    Alan John

My understanding is that Ubuntu Server has gone from strength to strength over the last few iterations. It's not a bad choice now.

I personally use Debian though, with its great package management system (same as Ubuntu's) and rock solid packages (moreso than Ubuntu in my opinion). I have noticed that there are the occasional bugs in Ubuntu packages which I guess is from the tradeoff between newer software and reliability.

For your interest, if you're after a server with an extremely quick setup time for LAMP, it's worth checking out Turnkey Linux. These are essentially pre-imaged Ubuntu installs set up for specific purposes, such as providing a LAMP server, MySQL database or MediaWiki site.
    GigaTux, Value Linux Hosting
    UK, US and Germany based Xen VPS. Reliability is key! Quick support response and 99.9% SLA.

Quote Originally Posted by cocodude View Post
    For your interest, if you're after a server with an extremely quick setup time for LAMP, it's worth checking out Turnkey Linux. These are essentially pre-imaged Ubuntu installs set up for specific purposes, such as providing a LAMP server, MySQL database or MediaWiki site.
    That kinda reminds me of the old Cobalt Raq Appliance that I had many years ago...

Does anyone have any personal user experience with the product and its stability/reliability?

Quote Originally Posted by Red-Rocket View Post
    Does anyone have any personal user experience with the product and its stability/reliability?
    I reckon your best bet will be to check out the Turnkey Linux forum and see user responses there. From my experience though, I've been very impressed so far, with the essentials being set up and secure out of the box.

Turnkey Linux is freely distributable so you should be able to try it yourself, or find a hosting provider offering it (particularly useful if automated installs are available).
    UK, US and Germany based Xen VPS. Reliability is key! Quick support response and 99.9% SLA.

To my experience centos 5.x is the best production server till date.

Nothing wrong in Ubuntu its very good but if compared I will put my money on centos

Quote Originally Posted by eth10 View Post
    To my experience centos 5.x is the best production server till date.
    I've read many posts on this site and others that seem to agree... So my next question is yum as straightforward and easy to use as apt-get for package installs and would there be much of a learning curve to switch?

I have touched almost everything around and I can ensure you that what makes it stable is not the linux version, but cPanel. If you want to do hosting, get centos, redhat, gentoo, ubuntu but on top, put a cPanel to manage that server

Quel
    ComfortHost.NET. Top quality hosting. And a personal touch.
    ** web hosting ** reseller hosting ** VPS ** Managed Servers **

Quote Originally Posted by Quel View Post
    I have touched almost everything around and I can ensure you that what makes it stable is not the linux version, but cPanel. If you want to do hosting, get centos, redhat, gentoo, ubuntu but on top, put a cPanel to manage that server
    This thread isn't about control panels though. This is about Linux distributions, the choice of which certainly can affect stability.

Turning your post on its head, what distribution would you recommend if you don't want a control panel at all, and want to administer things manually?

you need to use the distro witch you most comfortable with and that you can get the support you need, by users in forums or on-line documents.

my favorite is CentOS.

If you are interested in switching distros I would highly recommend giving CentsOS a try.

There is nothing wrong with Ubuntu and I use it for my home servers (to back up my pictures and other important files). It works very well.

Hi-
    The reason I say other OS is I did try FreeBSD first but was having issues finding step by step tutorials... but liked the reliability factor.
    Selecting an OS is not just about what makes your life the most convenient. One thing many do not (and have not) discuss is the security of the core OS itself. Hint* there's a thread here about some really nasty kernel exploit on Redhat (which CentOS derives from).

There are plenty of documentations on FreeBSD. The handbook, freebsd diary, even howto-forge has info on setting up things. The conventions is not really that alien if you've used linux. Every other ported apps is the same for Linux and BSD. Linux is great on some aspects but as many of us discovered, FreeBSD has a lot more to offer in a production environment.

Quote Originally Posted by DJMizt73 View Post
    Selecting an OS is not just about what makes your life the most convenient. One thing many do not (and have not) discuss is the security of the core OS itself. Hint* there's a thread here about some really nasty kernel exploit on Redhat (which CentOS derives from).

There are plenty of documentations on FreeBSD. The handbook, freebsd diary, even howto-forge has info on setting up things. The conventions is not really that alien if you've used linux. Every other ported apps is the same for Linux and BSD. Linux is great on some aspects but as many of us discovered, FreeBSD has a lot more to offer in a production environment.
    Completely agree. And all else fails, feel free to ask questions here. There are several of us that live and breath FreeBSD. If we don't know the answer, we'd be happy to help you find it.

Most people shy away from FreeBSD because they don't understand it or it isn't 'familiar'. Believe me, if you force yourself to use it and learn something new, you'll never go back to Linux.
    PeakVPN.Com | Complete Privacy VPN | Cloud Hosting | Guaranteed Security | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    PeakVPN | 31 VPN Servers | 17-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ PeakVPN.Com (Coming SOON) | ASN: 3915

I've read many posts on this site and others that seem to agree... So my next question is yum as straightforward and easy to use as apt-get for package installs and would there be much of a learning curve to switch?
    yum install anything you want and it can usually take care of it. If it is not in the default CentOS repos, you are free to add additional repos which can aid in installing even more software.

That being said, CentOS is one of the more widely used for server operating systems, especially around here, so you are more then likely going to get better/faster support by picking it up.

That being said... I am not condoning that yum is the end all of server issues. You should be able to compile things by hand . That being said, yum really can save those who don't want to mess with that stuff a lot of time, and usually is a much safer bet if you have no idea what you are doing

Quote Originally Posted by serverorigin View Post
    Most people shy away from FreeBSD because they don't understand it or it isn't 'familiar'. Believe me, if you force yourself to use it and learn something new, you'll never go back to Linux.
    So would I be right to think if I gave it another shot it would make more sense now that I'm familiar with linux command line vs. earlier when I came from a exclusively Windows environment?

What would be the best flavor to use...Dragonfly, Open, Net or FreeBSD?

FreeBSD 7.2 would be my recommendation. Yes, FreeBSD is really not that difficult. Once you have portsnap/portupgrade working, it's as simple as yum for package management.

It's even better if you're just getting a good feel for Unix/Linux. You can learn on FreeBSD.
    PeakVPN.Com | Complete Privacy VPN | Cloud Hosting | Guaranteed Security | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered

I would recommend CentOS. I've used it with my VPS and it is very stable. Though other distros are fine as well as they don't differ much in terms of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirly View Post
    I would recommend CentOS. I've used it with my VPS and it is very stable. Though other distros are fine as well as they don't differ much in terms of performance.
    Side-by-Side: FreeBSD outperforms CentOS hands down as a web server. Especially under high load or intense database usage.