Cool Would You Sell Your Soul?

Greetings,

Recently I was contacted to create some questionable graphics for an adult website. The pay was extremely well but I ended up turning down the position due to my moral values. Have you ever turned down a job because of your values? Thank you in advanced for your posts.
    We develop brand identity for the web.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Services ~ Custom Web Design, Branding & Identity, Development, Hosting & more!
    Portfolio ~ Websites, User Interfaces, Widgets & more!

I guess I could understand turning down a job for moral reasons, but I never have....

Once I was doing a work for a guy, and I am pretty sure (although not positive), so of the work I was doing was contributing to spamming, but I continued to do work for him.

Basically, if I dont have to do something illegal myself, or whatever I am doing is not legal in of its self, then I dont really worry about it.

<-- Sells Soul Regularly

Short answer 'Yes',my own moral 'guidlines are very individual to me,
    but I try my hardest not to compromise myself or my integrity.
    I reckon in business and life, it's prob. cost me , lets say an arm an a leg.
    But I sleep and night & can look myself in the mirror.

I'm no saint and have slipped from my own standards on the odd occassion,
    always regret it, but have to accept it rather than dwell on it.

From my experience though there are 2 types of people, people like myself with
    'standards' and the others.
    You can tell 'the others' they tend to have flash cars & homes instead of 'souls'.

That's a bit oversimplistic, but I trust I've made my point.

And of course, if you do the work, all WHTers will remember you as the graphics guy that does 'smut'.
    You may or maynot like that reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian-de-vie View Post
    And of course, if you do the work, all WHTers will remember you as the graphics guy that does 'smut'.
    You may or maynot like that reputation.
    It's graphics 'Gal' but point well taken. Thank you for your feedback.

It's a tough one to touch. At the end of the day, you're in business and that business is to provide graphical design services to prospect clients. It is easy to get personally involved in the business and bring your own thoughts to the table when really you should be thinking from a business services point of view.

Sometimes morals and your own integrity force you to make decisions like that, especially when in that kind of situation. Personally I think I would have also turned the job down because it's certainly not the kind of work I provide to clients nor is it something that would particularly look great in a portfolio
    DesignBear.com
    View Portfolio

A trusted WHT member for over 7 years!

Quote Originally Posted by The-Pixel View Post
    It's graphics 'Gal' but point well taken. Thank you for your feedback.
    OOppss, Sorry, but I guess that's the type of slip up I try to avoid [due to professional asperations, not morality/integrity].
    At the present you can consider yourself 'the Graphics Gal who bothers to think, before accepting just anywork'

Quote Originally Posted by Brian-de-vie View Post
    OOppss, Sorry, but I guess that's the type of slip up I try to avoid [due to professional asperations, not morality/integrity].
    At the present you can consider yourself 'the Graphics Gal who bothers to think, before accepting just anywork'
    Haha no worries I get it alot.

Quote Originally Posted by MediaFireBrand View Post
    Personally I think I would have also turned the job down because it's certainly not the kind of work I provide to clients nor is it something that would particularly look great in a portfolio
    You are absolutely correct! I also think if I where to accept this job I wouldn't put it on my portfolio because of the content. Not wanting to put something in your portfolio should be a red flag in your mind that perhaps what your doing or about to do is not correct. Thanks for your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Pixel View Post
    Not wanting to put something in your portfolio should be a red flag in your mind that perhaps what your doing or about to do is not correct. Thanks for your feedback.
    I think you just hit the nail on the head perfectly you're welcome
    DesignBear.com
    View Portfolio

A trusted WHT member for over 7 years!

I dont think not wanting to put it in your portfolio is a reason not to do it. Mainly because other clients might be offended. If I was a church, I wouldnt want to buy services from someone who did an adult site(because I would probably be yelled at and fired, unless it was Ted H's church, heh). But when it comes down to it, its merely perception. Think of it like an actor who started their career doing questionable movies.

But more on the OP, its up to you. Luckily you are not in a job where you are required to provide services no matter if you agree or not. My opinion is do it unless the material really offends you or is illegal(I personally wouldn't do bestiality).

Since I do not do creative work, Ill compare it to what I do.
    Would I sell to someone under 18? No its illegal.
    Would I sell to someone who does not smoke? Yes, but I would suggest them not to, just like I do on my site. But there are others easy enough to find who would, so me not doing it wont stop them. This has never happend mainly because people who do not smoke already, usually dont go around the internet looking to start, heh.
    Chicago Electronic Cigarettes: Tobacco Free, Smoke Free. 3 E-Cig Models, 11 flavors, and accessories.
    http://www.chicago-ecigs.com

I have turned down MANY adult design jobs.

Also there was this one guy who asked me to make him a fake ID lol. That was just plain illegal haha..

I have turned down a few jobs, like adult media, designing adverts for fake/look a like products.
    I don't think it was moral values, or selling my soul, more I guess just personal opinions.
    Follow me on Twitter: @conrjac

Personally, I see no reason why you should do it or not do it... I think it would be good for business to get an Adult site asking you to there site... I guess its your "Business" choice at the end of the day...

But as others said Business is Business... Personal is Personal... your not viewing the site for Personal Reasons... So you should not have the same re-action to a 40yrold with a cc.

If you are convicted and feel wishy-washy about not doing it, that's a really good sign to not do it. I don't know your religious standpoint, however that is what I follow.

If it's illegal, no, if I feel the end result is going to do harm (redesigning the KKK web site for example), no. If I feel it's just wrong, then no.

That said, I did some coding for a gays only hook up site years ago, and no, it's not on my resume, not because I thought it was "wrong" but I'm also wise enough to realize some people will see it as a bad thing so I don't include it or mention it to perspective clients/employers.

Living in the bible belt you learn to keep your liberal hippie ideas to yourself.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Quote Originally Posted by verdictjosh View Post
    Personally, I see no reason why you should do it or not do it... I think it would be good for business to get an Adult site asking you to there site... I guess its your "Business" choice at the end of the day...

But as others said Business is Business... Personal is Personal... your not viewing the site for Personal Reasons... So you should not have the same re-action to a 40yrold with a cc.
    I know they say, "Don't mix business and personal life". But, I have to look at myself in the mirror everyday and weather you like it or not when you work for a company you are a representative for that company - that's how I feel.

I actually worked for a smaller company located here in Iowa of about 5 employees (me included). And in the first week there was a new project and the owner of the website (project) wanted to obtain more people for his newsletter. Well, the owner of the company said with everyone there, me included, "I will sell you 300+ e-mail address." My mouth dropped! I told the owner of the company I'm no longer able to work there. He asked why and I was honest that I feel selling e-mail addresses is completely wrong and I will have no part in it.

Once again I have to look at myself in the face everyday. Yes, I want to make a success of my business but if that means selling my soul well then I've designed and coded my last website.

If it's illegal no way. Other then that I guess you have to factor in your money situation. Would you still refuse to do the job if business is slow?

@The-Pixel - congrats for NOT selling your soul.
    ProlimeHost - Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
    Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On-site Engineers

Lol, the title talks about that mythical soul, and your post talks about morals Which one is it?
    1. Mmmmm food...

Quote Originally Posted by Shannara View Post
    Lol, the title talks about that mythical soul, and your post talks about morals Which one is it?
    Either or.

I use the morals of the customer, and put mine aside. It's business.