Am I paying too much?? Please Help!

Ok so my website, <<removed>> - daily 13,000 uniques, around 80,000 page views. On several days per month this can get to around 20,000 uniques and 100,000+ page views - the site also utilises wordpress.

Currently paying $194 for:

Intel Dual Xeon 2.8GHz Processor with CPanel and 4GB Ram.

TOP right now looks like this:

top - 16:12:54 up 20 days, 23:41, 1 user, load average: 1.11, 0.78, 0.72
    Tasks: 170 total, 2 running, 167 sleeping, 0 stopped, 1 zombie
    Cpu(s): 6.6% us, 2.2% sy, 0.0% ni, 90.6% id, 0.7% wa, 0.0% hi, 0.0% si
    Mem: 4147160k total, 1173964k used, 2973196k free, 170360k buffers
    Swap: 2040212k total, 3288k used, 2036924k free, 552664k cached

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
    13367 nobody 15 0 48064 21m 12m S 8.0 0.5 0:01.78 httpd
    ****5 nobody 16 0 48024 21m 12m S 7.3 0.5 0:01.91 httpd
    13269 nobody 16 0 48096 22m 12m S 3.3 0.5 0:04.09 httpd
    13257 nobody 15 0 48100 21m 12m S 3.0 0.5 0:03.68 httpd
    13510 nobody 15 0 48056 21m 12m S 3.0 0.5 0:02.19 httpd
    13376 nobody 16 0 48084 21m 12m S 2.7 0.5 0:04.48 httpd

The server generally copes quite well 90% of the time but I'm wondering if it's time to change it and get more 'bang for my buck' so to speak, and I'm not really too impressed with my current provider (ThePlanet), but I have been with them for many years.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
    Last edited by sirius; 08-18-2009 at 09:41 AM.

you can find better deals for that amount of $$$ nowadays.

Yeah I presumed that but not really server savvy. If I could get something for less aswell and maybe a quad core that would be awesome - reccomendations from guys on here please

It's probably not the best deal but in most cases, if it's working well for you at the moment then why bother to move?

Anyway, is the server managed or unmanaged? What type of control panel and OS? Your website seems to be pretty intensive on the traffic. You may want to look at getting a more powerful server if growth is expected though.

I have servers with netdepot.com and really like them. Awesome support and uptime.

Quote Originally Posted by AmishPatel View Post
    Yeah I presumed that but not really server savvy. If I could get something for less aswell and maybe a quad core that would be awesome - reccomendations from guys on here please
    If you're looking for an un-managed server in Texas, definitely take a look at Tailor Made Servers. They have a few servers that are within your price range:

Core2Quad Q9550
    4GB RAM
    2x250GB SATA2 Hard Drive
    100Mbit Port (2TB of Transfer)
    cPanel w/ Fantastico
    $164/mo

Core2Quad Q6600
    4GB RAM
    2x250GB SATA2 Hard Drive
    100Mbit Port (2TB of Transfer)
    cPanel w/ Fantastico
    $144/mo

https://www.tailormadeservers.com/or...INTCORE2&CFG=2

TMS are highly recommended and if you do a search on the WHT forums, I think you'll find plenty of people who share the same sentiment as myself.

Good site.
    I was also going to recommend you stick with your current server, but I do agree those Tailor Made prices are quite good. If you move your site over to them you will be saving atleast $30 monthly, and you could grab a few months savings and hire someone to help you transfer the site.
    || Andreas Sandin - - Fredhost shared hosting
    || Cheap Web Hosting and Domain Registration
    || www.fredhost.com - - support at fredhost.com

I would stay if i were you, it can be alot of work to change host just to find out that the new host has bad support, not as good transit and so on. Maybe you could talk to your current host and get them to adjust the price a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by zubbab View Post
    I would stay if i were you
    I too agree because changing not only server but also service provider at this time would be risky.
    Such big site should not be transferred just because of small difference of $$$ as it would be giving you a handy profit so as your provider with their quality and speed.

It all depends on the quality of the service. If your 100% happy with the service you are getting I wouldn't change, as you may regret it.

You could always threatten to go somewhere else and hope for a reduced price.

try gigenet you can get i7 server for 199$ for you prepay for 3month also server is fully managed
    HostNotch Hosting Services 99.9% uptime Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting
    yajur | Sales Team
    CPanel Hosting • R1 Soft • Offsite-Backup • Great Uptime
    http://hostnotch.com sales @ hostnotch.com

I agree with some. But there are two factors to this which you must consider:

Firstly, you have the option to get more 'bang for your buck': you have to move host and generally hassle yourself to move all your websites over. You have to actually go through the process of setting up and configuring your new server. All of this takes time - probably 2 - 3 hours when you look at it.

Secondly, you have the option of staying where you are. You're happy so far (90% isn't bad for a dedicated server); your clients/visitors are happy and everything is working well for you. The Host you're with might not be the best but they provide a tolerable standard of support.

This isn't a question we can answer for you. Yes, you can get more bang for your buck (by a few dollars a month) but is this worth your time and effort, and the possible mishaps which could occur with a server change?

If you are happy I wouldn't move. I've moved host before saving a small amount but it involved a lot of hassles and the company I moved to had poor customer service. The previous host was much better and I've since returned.

If you install wp-supercache it will help with keeping the server load minimal. Then you can move to a dedicated server less powerful and save some money.

Quote Originally Posted by AmishPatel View Post
    Any suggestions would be appreciated
    You're asking in a section filled with dedicated server companies if you're paying too much? Seriously... of course 99% of them are going to tell you, "Yes, you are paying too much", because they want you to switch to them. You need to ask yourself this, are you happy with the service you are getting (i.e. are your sites always up and is support always available)?

If so, why change... someone is always going to be able to come along and do it cheaper, but the big question is, what's the trade off?

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Hello,
    The price really depends on the host. Such as besides the hardware you getting anything extra. So prices can vary, but I do have to say dual single core xeons are a bit old.And I know there are tons of reputable companies out there that have quad cores around your $200 range, with more ram, and bandwidth even. Look around webhostingtalk.com I am sure you will see some good reviews and find a great company. Also keep in mind the tradeoff, migrating can be a pain
    Jeremy Miller - Account Executive
    SingleHop Inc. - Dedicated Servers Exclusive Specials - www.singlehop.com/jeremymiller
    Phone: 1-866-817-2811 ext. 103

It's always hard shopping around for good pricing, but it is important these days I agree though, it's good to find places where the give you exactly what you need instead of extra add ons that end up costing you more in the end. Just make sure you're getting great quality and service while you're going your digging

As others have said, the choice is ultimately up to you. You stated in your OP that you haven't been impressed with The Planet yet you've been with them for several years. They must be doing something right.

If you haven't already, try speaking to your Account Manager and see if anything can be done on their end. They may be able to offer you something to keep you around. If all else fails, WHT is your #1 resources for all things hosting related.

Best of luck and keep us updated.

bsh
    Brandon Hale | bhale@fortressitx.com | 888.500.0774

y dont u renegotiate with ur current provider....
    and if u decide to change go for reputable hosts only...

If the server is working fine why move? Moving to a new provider can save you money, but you wont be sure it would work the same. Try talking to your current provider to check if they can lower the cost of the server. Im sure they will do something about the cost once they hear you might move to a different provider.

Hi
    I am not a web hosting company so I feel I am unbiased, but in my opinion you could probably get a better deal elsewhere but their is the issue of moving a large site. If you dont want to move, talk to your current provider about what they can offer you in terms of upgrades without increasing your monthly cost.

Jonathan Fielding
    <<removed>>
    Last edited by sirius; 08-20-2009 at 01:09 PM.

If you're happy where you're at, just ask your provider if they can offer you a better deal. If you've been with them for awhile and paid your bill on time they'll know there's value in keeping you and they might offer you an upgrade for zero dollars.

If not then explain to them that this is a competitive market and for that amount of money there are a lot of companies out there offering better configurations for the same dollars.

Whatever you do just keep in mind that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. If you move, take time to pick your provider. Get some recommendations so you don't end up moving somewhere to save a few bucks but end up with terrible support or uptime.

Good, Cheap, or Fast - pick two.

I'm sure you could find something cheaper, but you will want to make sure that the quality and service is up to par. Are you having any other problems other than pricing or just looking to cut costs?

It never hurts to shop around, but as expo09 said, realize that there will always be something cheaper. It's very easy for hosting providers to cut corners, and unfortunately through the obscurity of the Internet, it's difficult to know just what corners the cheapest providers are really cutting; so do your research on any new options you consider.
    Corey Northcutt | Electric Goat Media
    Currently building this nifty small business ROI calculator.