Transfer from 1 Dedicated to Another via WHM/cPanel

So I'm swapping dedicated servers and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good tutorial out there that will show me how to transfer my 3 sites from 1 dedicated server over to the other?

Both servers have WHM/cPanel installed.

just use the multi-transfer account feature in whm. use the server ip, port, and login as root and on the next page you'll get a list of all the hosting packages and accounts. then checkbox the ones you want to move and click the "Express Transfer" checkbox as well so that the old server's DNS settings are changed to point to the new server - easier propagation.

may take hours or days depending on file sizes - but it's pretty easy. transfer a few test accounts first to get the hang of it.

good luck

On accounts bigger than 5 GB (know from last transfer) you will have to do the individual account transfer for those and then anything under should fit within the multi account transfer for WHM to WHM.
    #---.#---###### | Host Mist LLC - Helping People Say Hello World™
    #---.#---#--#--# || Shared, Reseller, Master Reseller, VPS, Dedicated
    ####---#--#--# }| Featuring multiple locations across the US & Germany.
    #---#---#--#--# #| Connecting the world through web hosting.

If both servers are simultaneously up a good way to doing the transfer is to run with WHM a backup pointed to your (new) server in the “home” directory. Thereafter restore also in WHM the accounts from there.
    Hopes this help out.
    Online power for online people!

A google serach will normally help.
    Its a good idea though a week or so before edit the ttl's on your DNS to something like 10min.
    Means dns downtime will be a lot less.

I normally ftp the backup to an account on the new server.
    Then ssh and cp them to the required directory and just import them.
    Works great.
    - Buying up websites, side-projects and companies - PM Me! -

Two ways to transfer your sites, one to use the site transfer from cPanel/WHM (root) which will require you to have the IP, username, password, ect.

Another way is to generate a full back up and upload it on the other dedicated server /home/ dir. Then go into WHM and restore a full back up.

Have you also asked your hosting provider if they will migrate the data for you free? If you are purchasing the license through a dedicated hosting provider most will perform the transfer for you free, while if you are purchasing the license through cPanel they offer support to show you how to do it.
    Miguel Villegas, VP Sales & New Business Development CloudMega.net
    CloudMega, Inc. US | CloudMega, Ltd UK
    US Toll Free: 888.401.2006 | Intl +1 312.757.5400
    UK Toll Free: 0800.368.9925 | Intl +44 20.3540.7807

but does cpanel/whm actually clone the hard drive or just the mysql database?

Example, if a person had a phpbb forum software installed and the forum had 100,000 posts, if you used cpanel/whm to back this up, when it's on your new server will the phpbb forum and 100,000 posts be there? Or would a new installation of phpbb software on the new server be required first then using cpanel/whm?

I don't think cpanel/whm clones the whole hard drive because if it did then the operating system will have to be cloned too.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan14 View Post
    but does cpanel/whm actually clone the hard drive or just the mysql database?

Example, if a person had a phpbb forum software installed and the forum had 100,000 posts, if you used cpanel/whm to back this up, when it's on your new server will the phpbb forum and 100,000 posts be there? Or would a new installation of phpbb software on the new server be required first then using cpanel/whm?

I don't think cpanel/whm clones the whole hard drive because if it did then the operating system will have to be cloned too.
    It doesn't clone this disk or do an entire backup of it. Although, it will backup any MySQL database associated with the account. Just do full backups of the accounts and restore them. Simple.
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com

Moved > Technical & Security Issues.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Interesting topic, I'm moving few websites too.
    I'm currently on reseller hosting, moving everything to new VPS.
    As a reseller I don't have all WHM features - I can't enable shell on user accounts.
    So I can't use "Copy an account from another server" or option for multiple accounts because that requires shell which I can't enable on my reseller.
    Only option left is "Copy an account from another server with account password" which makes a backup and download it to my VPS.

Quote Originally Posted by njoker555 View Post
    click the "Express Transfer" checkbox as well so that the old server's DNS settings are changed to point to the new server - easier propagation.
    When using "Copy an account from another server with account password" there is no option for "Express Transfer" so I'll have to do that manually.
    My question would be: How ?

I know I have to edit DNS zone, but don't know what exactly.
    May I edit every entry in DNS zone and replace my old NS with new one and old IP with new one ?
    Or I have to edit only some entries ?

you'll have to have access to dns settings on the old server - and then just change all instances of the old IP that you see to the new IP. If you don't have access to the DNS setting then you have to contact the people that has it.

and you just have to worry about the IPs unless you are changing nameservers as well.

If you have new nameservers set up on the new server, just point the domain's NS to the new nameservers from your domain registrar, that way you don't have to worry about changing any DNS settings.

I changed NS and IP on all entries on reseller, now I'm waiting for domain propagation so I can remove account from reseller.

Thanks njoker555.