Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hosting Comapnies that offer Share Hosting with Unlimited Space and Traffic?

What does it really mean? Can someone tell me the exact space and exact traffic limit for such offers from hosting companies?
      0 Not allowed!

You would need to read their terms of service to see their definition of "unlimited". Most will limit you to what file types can you have, resource usage, ect. Personally I would pick a host that offers a realistic amount of space and bandwidth.
      0 Not allowed!

Unlimited = At the hosting providers discretion based on their ToS agreement.
      0 Not allowed!

It means something different for every hosting company so look through their TOS / AUP.
      0 Not allowed!

Maybe it is really unlimited.But there will always a threshold when they are about to suspend your account.
    When you see a hosting plan says "unlimited" space and bandwidth.Mostly that really is unlimited.But,do not even think about biuld such a site which should be put on a dedicated server.
    So,unlimited is not recommended.
    There is another thread here discuss this.click here
      0 Not allowed!

MikeTrike: Precisely...and I have the hardest time convincing some people of that. Unlimited...until you become too much of a drain for whatever reason. In other words, unlimited doesn't exist.
      0 Not allowed!

Well Honestly speaking they don't actually tell you in clear words that what would be the limit. So that is why I need to know their limits.
    What is your guess or general IDEA for this UNlimited offer?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by arty101 View Post
    What does it really mean? Can someone tell me the exact space and exact traffic limit for such offers from hosting companies?
    This varies with every host, so you're best off asking the host you're interested in about the true limits before signing up. Usually it is advised to avoid unlimited packages, or at least to not be fooled by them (i.e. unlimited at low prices can be tempting). With a host that defines to you the amount of space and bandwidth you can use, you have more peace of mind, instead of worrying when and if you will be suspended for using a certain amount under an unlimited plan.
      0 Not allowed!

Well Honestly speaking they don't actually tell you in clear words that what would be the limit. So that is why I need to know their limits.
    What is your guess or general IDEA for this UNlimited offer?
    That's the point, they don't make it clear. They have their own internal policies to determine when they cut you off. It varies from provider to provider. I vote for don't use a lot of resources, or go to a provider that you can be sure of what resources you are paying for.

I mean what sounds better.

Unlimited: Use until your hearts content and you may or may not be suspended and/or terminated by violating our ToS.

20GB Space/100GB Traffic: This is what you have, use it or don't, your call, you're paying for it.

I really like to know what I'm paying for, so the question of unlimited is probably best directed to the unlimited provider. Though I've sat and sales chatted and emailed. They are happy to tell you Unlimited over and over, no matter how many what if's, and if I do this, etc.
      0 Not allowed!

For each of the unlimited hosts it's different. There's no possible to get guess without reading the TOS of the hosts your considering. The old saying of "you get what you pay for" is most often true.... Especially when it comes to this market.

My best suggestion is search this site and Google for reviews of the hosts your considering. I strongly suggest going with a host that offers a realistic amount of disk space and bandwidth at a realistic price.
      0 Not allowed!

Simply put, it means scam.
    iWebFusion.Net - Shared / Reseller / VPS / Bare Metal / Colocation / IP Transit / Networking
    *Simply Hosting - Wholly owned networks, in-house staff, legions of fans!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Muyskens View Post
    Simply put, it means scam.
    In my mind that's what I think. But when targeting average users it's a "Clever Marketing Tactic." Though in all honest its almost a bait and switch.

0 Not allowed!

Simplest way to explain it is: unlimited = no quota. You will get as much as you need for a web site that is suitable for a shared hosting environment (99% of sites are less than 250mb). Generally speaking the unlimited resource in question is reserved for files that are used primarily to support a web site.

People get in trouble when they substitute a Virtual or Dedicated server for an unlimited plan, and then blame the host for not giving them dedi server resources for a few dollars a month.
    Last edited by Collabora; 08-16-2009 at 08:27 PM.
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ
      0 Not allowed!

Unlimited is not always a scam, unlimited shared offers are aimed at people wanting to run small personal/business websites. With these kinds of sites, size is not an issue, they will only use up a few hundred mbs each, and barely any CPU/RAM.

Unlimited does NOT mean you can stuff as much sh*t on there as you want (as some poeple think, and get a shock when they are wrong), you will often if not always see in the TOS, no mass Audio/Video/Application hosting, which rules out most large websites.
    - Colin Dunn | Systems Administrator
    I think CentOS is a pretty cool guy. eh runs mah server and doesnt afraid of anything...
    ^ That sig/meme is so old, I just don't have the heart to change it. I hope the cool kids around still get it... 2008 was a good year!
      0 Not allowed!

Quite simply the way I see it, there is no such thing as unlimited...

All servers have resource limits, for arguments sake, you get hosted on a server with 2x Quad Core CPUs with a whopping 16 or 32 GB RAM, and 2 - 4 TB of HDD space, sounds tempting right? But there is still a LIMIT even on a server with that spec...

The only way a host can truly offer unlimited is by adding HD after HD, most shared hosts run on a maximum of 2TB on each server, you put 25 customers on one server who think they really have unlimited and it does not take long to fill that server up, then everyone is left in the dark because they cannot store any more files

If you ask me both the client AND the hosting provider is at fault, mainly the provider though for even offering such stupid packages...
      0 Not allowed!

What does it really mean?
    Simply put....I'd rather be put in a sleeping bag attached to a propellor than go with any unlimited plan, because from the kick off I'd know I'd be in trouble...whereas, unlimited plans have hidden pitfalls including the infamous cpu limitations and AUP's /TOS's that are so finely tweaked to cover their butts when they suspend your account for you clipping your toe nails more than twice a week and other crap like that which is carefully written and displayed on pages very little people read and they engineer it to be like that.

What unlimited hosts should do is be fair with people (especially those new to hosting and really don't know about AUP's and TOS) and by that I mean they should also mention on their unlimited plans page....their rules on cpu limits etc, because that's the most important thing and causes people to get their *cough* unlimited plans suspended. Instead, they know that most people will not read AUP's and TOS's usually until their accounts have been suspended. That way, they've already got your money via a clever marketing ploy.

If the unlimited shoe fits, then you can call yourself Cinderella, because it's a rarity.

owm
    Last edited by Outlaw Web Master; 08-16-2009 at 09:24 PM.
    ‹(¿)›
    Life's what you make it.
      0 Not allowed!

I totally agree with what was said so far... BUT don't all of the web hosting companies have TOS that limit the CPU (or whatever) usage to something?
    What I want to say is, that I had some account suspended in the past, on reseller accounts I had, that were LIMITED. I paid for an amount of webspace and bandwidth.
    BEFORE I could use all of it, I got an account suspended for its high mysql usage.

What is the difference?

In unlimited plans, you get all you can use, until you sites start using too much resources.
    In limited plans, you get limited space and bandwidth, that you can use, unless you use too much resources before using all space and bandwidth.

Most of the time, they are offering a "limited" space... of hundreds of GB and TB of bandwidth, that they know that there is no way to use all of it, without, firstly, using too many server resources.

just one point of view, after 7 years in web hosting and development.
      0 Not allowed!

Unlimted plans are like this......

You go to a car hire company, you can hire the car and every month you can drive it anywhere you like as much as you like BUT written somewhere in the hire agreement it mentions you can only put 1 gallon of gas in it once a month and only use the brakes 100 times in one month.....use more than 1 gallon of gas or the brakes more than 100 times and they'll take the car keys off you.

So although they may advertise it's unlimited....they carefully avoid to advertise it's restrictions or cpu limitations and it's those that really matter.

owm
    Last edited by Outlaw Web Master; 08-16-2009 at 09:58 PM.
    ‹(¿)›
    Life's what you make it.
      0 Not allowed!

Do the "limited" companies advertise their sources limitations? I don't think so...
      0 Not allowed!

So that is why I need to know their limits.
    In many cases they couldn't tell you a limit, as there isn't a well defined one. If it will be necessary, you may be cut off when your usage is 5GB. But it may have happened that a customer pushed 5Tb and they didn't have to act.

One way to see a limit is to find out the server connection's limit. If they're using 100mbit lines, in a best case scenario you'd be able to push about 30TB. (very unlikely to happen though )

you can only put 1 gallon of gas in it once a month
    Well, that is an extreme case. Most sites have a quite limited amount of traffic, and these hosts would be able to host them just fine. So, let's make that 100 gallons per month, which probably suffices most people. No, you won't be able to take advantage of this offer if you're a taxi driver, as you'll run out of gas before you start making a proper living for the month, but if you work within 25 miles from home, it'll take care of your commuting.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ludwigvb View Post
    Do the "limited" companies advertise their sources limitations? I don't think so...
    That's not the issue of this thread.

However, limited hosting tells you automatically that it's exactly that...it's limited. i.e you get for instance 10gb space and 50gb bw per month.

Now apply that same line of thought to unlimited hosting...and that's where it misleads people. There is no question about it.

Do we see as many complaints about people getting accounts suspended when they hitting the cpu limits with limited as we do with unlimited.? I'd say no.....it usually always...oversellers bla bla...unlimited host beware etc.

owm
    Last edited by Outlaw Web Master; 08-16-2009 at 10:49 PM.
    ‹(¿)›
    Life's what you make it.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw Web Master View Post
    Unlimted plans are like this......

You go to a car hire company, you can hire the car and every month you can drive it anywhere you like as much as you like BUT written somewhere in the hire agreement it mentions you can only put 1 gallon of gas in it once a month and only use the brakes 100 times in one month.....use more than 1 gallon of gas or the brakes more than 100 times and they'll take the car keys off you.

So although they may advertise it's unlimited....they carefully avoid to advertise it's restrictions or cpu limitations and it's those that really matter.

owm
    Its more like the car rental agency gives you unlimited miles, but you can only use it to drive to work
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    Its more like the car rental agency gives you unlimited miles, but you can only use it to drive to work
    that's about it.

Unlimited hosting can work for some people but not for others.

I can't blame unlimited hosts for marketing the way they do, when people should really be doing their homework before going with one of the multitude of unlimited providers.

Like most businesses in life who offer a service. It's always in your best interest to read the fine print before signing up.

owm
    Last edited by Outlaw Web Master; 08-16-2009 at 10:55 PM.
    ‹(¿)›
    Life's what you make it.
      0 Not allowed!

I've said this before, but no matter how you try to package a turd. It's still a turd, so unlimited turds is just wrong.

They should rebrand: http://rawrgv.com/?v=turdhostlo.png
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTrike View Post
    I've said this before, but no matter how you try to package a turd. It's still a turd, so unlimited turds is just wrong.
    You better scoop up some of those unlimited domains you have laying around
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast