Premium cPanel hosting.

I'm helping my father pick a new host for his domain and am looking for suggestions.

The domain is used primarily for e-mail for him and some family members and I think he has a couple of static (html only) web pages and my sister's blog as well. The requirements, as such, are very basic -

- Must be cPanel for ease of transferring over from current host.
    - Must offer free site/account transfer.
    - 1 or 2GB disk space (current use is 250MB)
    - Bandwidth is not an issue. Going back several years, he has never used more than 1GB per month.
    - Unlimited e-mail addresses
    - Fast, responsive, knowledgeable support. Waiting any more than 30mins/1 hour for a decent response is not acceptable.
    - true 99.9% uptime. I would actually probably inquire as to seeing uptime reports for the server his domain would be put on. This is a key factor.

Budget - ~$15/month. $20 is do-able, but I'd like to find something for a little less if I can, "in these tough economic times" (lol). I've tried to convince him that he can get what he needs for under $10/month but dad's 'old school' and really buys in to the whole 'you get what you pay for' thing.

I've been reading here, google and a couple of decent review sites and have come up with the following options -

- Downtown Host
    - Axis Host
    - Liquidweb

I like Downtown Host based on reviews and reputation, but there's absolutely no need for the 10GB of disk space they are offering. That's a nice feature, but there's not a snowball's chance in hell he's going to come close to using it, so it's kind of difficult justifying having to pay for it.

If you have any input on the 3 hosts I've mentioned or maybe some other names to take a look at, I would appreciate it.

Dave
    Last edited by db09; 08-16-2009 at 12:27 PM.

Hello Dave

Our smallest package (Blog) have 2 GB of space
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

You should increase your budget a little bit. Around 30 USD, you can easily find plan with pretty good features from a reputable, stable and quality host that will fulfill your quality needs.

Review advertisement section briefly to find such a company.

I have never had hosting with any of the hosting providers, However, Jedito is quite active here and is always very pleasent and knows a thing or two that we don't - I never said that.

Overall If I had to make a choice I would choose DownTown Host if they were the only options you had.

Sean
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

$15/month for 2gb of space is a great budget. and Downtown host has great reviews here, you're free to give them a try. and you shouldn't have a problem finding another provider if it comes down to it with that budget.

Never heard of Downtown Host or Axis Host, however I am certain there are positive reviews of Liquidweb here on WHT.

Your budget is high enough and your requirements are low.
    You can almost choose any company you want.
    Try their response time by opening a ticket, before making your final decision.

I have decided to go with Downtown Host. Thanks all for the input, mods you may close this thread if you wish.

Thanks!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by db09 View Post
    I have decided to go with Downtown Host. Thanks all for the input, mods you may close this thread if you wish.

Thanks!

Dave
    Good luck with Downtown Host, they seem to have a good company. Please let us all know how it did work for you in a few months from now, i am sure DTH and others looking for a host appreciate your feedback.