Spare Computer = Web Hosting?

Hi, I have a spare pc at home i was wondering if their is any way to put it into good use by using it as my own web hosting or selling it as web hosting?

is this possible ive never thought of it until now.

Ok as a hobby for your own site, not good for shared or commercial-grade hosting

I agree with Collabora. Maybe start your own web design business with it. Set up a linux server such as Redhat or Ubun. on it so you can get scripts working on it instead of paying a company for theirs.
    Garbott Ltd - Professional web development & consultancy services
    Oxford.Hosting - Prestigious shared, cloud, dedicated and gaming hosting solutions.

Theres a bit of a secuirty risk with that, I used to do it and my ISP kept blocking the ports because I was exchanging to much data.

Quote Originally Posted by lewis8766 View Post
    Theres a bit of a secuirty risk with that, I used to do it and my ISP kept blocking the ports because I was exchanging to much data.
    That's not a security risk, that's TOS violation.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

It is not that easy to sell web hosting from home only with a spare PC mate. It is difficult to host even your personal site from home. It needs much more than a PC actually, lot of related facilities like uninterrupted power and all will be needed for that.
    iHubNet Ltd - Premium Hosting Solutions 4 ALL
    Solid Support Solid Equipment Solid Network
    Shared Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Managed Server
    Matt A.

Anyone know any tutorials on how i would set this up im not the most advanced

Just download xampp it basicly does it for you and installs all the applications you need to start a basic web server.

I do not recommend you to doing that. There is a lot of topics on WHT about this.
    In home you will have problems how to get quality link, then how to have good and stable power. You can take some UPS, but for some low price you cannot find any good.
    And after a lot of investments and a lot of time spent on that... You wont be able to provide anything good.

So, It would be better to buy server and colocate it somewhere. It will save your money and time + it will give better uptime and network quality then from home.
    // AltusHost - European Web Hosting Provider
    // Dedicated Servers | XEN VPS Hosting | Web Hosting
    // 2 EU Locations: Netherlands & Sweden
    // Superior 24/7 Technical Support

Thanks i was just intrested to see how it worked and electricity will cost a lot xD

Not really, If you have a server with a host, you are paying for their servers and your electricity. And if you do this yourself, It will give you that little bit of experience.

Its worth a try? If you mess it up, its an old PC so Im guessing it wouldn't matter that much.
    Oxford.Hosting - Prestigious shared, cloud, dedicated and gaming hosting solutions.

look for a colocation. I think you can do this with virizon fios

Running a spare PC 24/7 is going to cost more in electricity than a webhosting package at any host. Your home connection is also most likely limited by a TOS that restricts home servers and the upload speed on residential packages does not compare to a properly hosted server.

Yes,it could be a server for your own.Try to get a static IP address from your network provider.Otherwise the domainname resolution will be a lot troublesome.

I say go for it, xampp is your best choice. You get a thrill when its all installed, and can be accessed from other computers. I wouldn't recommend using it commercially, because no-one would buy, and it can be time consuming.

Just to play around with it is great, you learn 10x faster if you jump right in.

To deal with the dynamic ip problem, just google: "dynamic dns" and "dynamic domains"
    - Colin Dunn | Systems Administrator
    I think CentOS is a pretty cool guy. eh runs mah server and doesnt afraid of anything...
    ^ That sig/meme is so old, I just don't have the heart to change it. I hope the cool kids around still get it... 2008 was a good year!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas0123 View Post
    Anyone know any tutorials on how i would set this up im not the most advanced
    DSLWebServer.com but I would not recommend hosting sites off your home computer.

If your intention is to earn a few $$$, get a $10 resellers account. Then split it into smaller accounts, sell them to friends, family, neighbors, etc.
    What's your budget?

Seriously, what's your budget?

I can't believe some posts in this thread actually told him to try hosting customers from home lol

No you can't start a webhosting company from your own home with a spare computer, that would be crazy!
    DesignBear.com
    View Portfolio

A trusted WHT member for over 7 years!

Just forget about starting a web hosting company from home.

It's a great way to test and learn things. What OS are you looking to use?

I agree with the above. As industry-standard hosting this will not suffice, however as a bedroom project where you can learn and develop your skills this would work fine.

Also, you may find running it as a 24/7 server quite expensive (electricity and any ISP overage), especially if you're only targeting small income. If you're just starting up, you may be better off investing in proper Shared or Reseller Hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas0123 View Post
    Hi, I have a spare pc at home i was wondering if their is any way to put it into good use by using it as my own web hosting or selling it as web hosting?

is this possible ive never thought of it until now.
    It's certainly possible to do, but if you are starting up a business - I suggest doing a search for a host that fits your needs - you will want peace of mind that your site is up 24/7.
    Bannaz™ | Amazing HTML5 Banner Ad Designer!
    Leading designers in online advertising
    Need banners? Visit our Website

In a nut shell, It is possible.

However, if you do it at home, you will have to deal with software, hardware, electricity and all kinds of things aswell as customers.

If you go with a company on the other hand. You dont have to worry about anything, and can sleep easy at night.

Quote Originally Posted by MediaFireBrand View Post
    I can't believe some posts in this thread actually told him to try hosting customers from home
    Makes you wonder how many are doing just that, doesn't it?
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

It does make you wonder, but It is more of a learning curve for for people,then money-making. If it does go horrible wrong, and you still have the server setup, use it as a Home-media center with software and stuff for the house??

Thats what I did for this shared house Im in. I get some money every month so everyone can store music, software ECT. on it and its a safer option. =]

Quote Originally Posted by jwebhost View Post
    It does make you wonder, but It is more of a learning curve for for people,then money-making. If it does go horrible wrong, and you still have the server setup, use it as a Home-media center with software and stuff for the house??

Thats what I did for this shared house Im in. I get some money every month so everyone can store music, software ECT. on it and its a safer option. =]
    But then again - should we (as a forum) be advising people to take a learning curve by putting paying clients on a server in their bedroom? Probably not.

I wouldn't recommend it at all.

Dont sell use it only for your own websites

Quote Originally Posted by atbnet View Post
    Running a spare PC 24/7 is going to cost more in electricity than a webhosting package at any host. Your home connection is also most likely limited by a TOS that restricts home servers and the upload speed on residential packages does not compare to a properly hosted server.
    ATBnet has a good point. It's going to cost you more to run it at home, than a standard shared host would cost.

There's nothing wrong with having a development server at home (I have one), but like others have said, the upload sucks for most residential providers. I don't use my server for anything that accessible to the internet, just for testing.

Honestly, I wouldn't even host my own personal site on it. The upload is just not nearly good enough. For example, I have cable internet, I get 5mbps down, and .5 up. Then my secondary line is worse than that. That's hardly good enough to host anything on.

Now if you had Verizon Fios, that would be different. I still wouldn't sell hosting on it, but I would be willing to play around with a personal site. Reason being, the upload on one of their packages is 15Mbps, that's not too shabby. Unfortunately, it's not available in my area yet. I am waiting for it though.
    Bobby - PreciselyManaged.com - Precision Hosting Solutions
    █ Enterprise Shared, Reseller, VPS, Hybrid, and Dedicated Hosting
    █ SpamExperts | CloudLinux | cPanel | Bacula + R1soft | and more!
    █ Full proactively managed, and we specialize in hosting small web hosts

Personally, I don't think that the upload of a home connection will be the major issue. Rather, the inconvenience of having to take care of the server will be one. Definitely a good idea if the main aim is to learn stuff though.