Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

150 GB of photo's

I have 150 GB + photo's. I can't dream of my HD and its backup to both fail, get stolen, etc. So I would like to find a way to back them up online.

The regulars like Picasa, Flikr et al have serious limitations, even their "pro" (paid) services would be useless to me (my RAW files are minimum 20 GB a piece, +150 GB, etc).

Where could I find a cheap host which I could use to back up these? The features would be fast upload (don't want to spend weeks uploading), unlimited disk space, unlimited bandwidth and FTP or other way of backing up my photo's. No need to share them on the web or anything, I just want an additional, lowest cost possible, safehaven for my photo's.

Any suggestions?

put an external HD in your safety deposit box.

The upload speed will typically be limited by your ISP. Many of the online backup services will send out a USB drive or snap server for you to return with data for initial backup. After that its a quick incremental or differential backup. Pick the lowest priced one out of that list.
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    The upload speed will typically be limited by your ISP. Many of the online backup services will send out a USB drive or snap server for you to return with data for initial backup. After that its a quick incremental or differential backup. Pick the lowest priced one out of that list.
    Can you please name at least one who is doing this?
    I searched a few hours and couldn't find anyone where this was mentioned on the website.

Why not just buy a External Hard drive and put it somewhere safe or IN a safe?? Surely thats just easyer? Uploading all those photos will take for ever, bandwidth will be an issue and like previously said, It will also depend on you ISP.
    Garbott Ltd - Exceptional web development, hosting & consultancy services

Quote Originally Posted by jackkirk View Post
    Search Hosting24 in Google.

Unlimited Webspace and Bandwidth.
    Really?....What do their TOS say about the use of these UNLIMITED resources?

I have never seen an unlimited hard drive on sale, or an unlimited bandwidth provider.
    HOSTLEET.COM, LLC - Elite Website Hosting Since 2008!
    Fast Reliable Affordable Secure Friendly & Courteous
    RISK-FREE Money Back Guarantee U.S.A Based & Operated
    Read Through Our Most F.A.Q's!

YEA just put them on a External Hard drive thats what i do.

Quote Originally Posted by zinneken View Post
    I have 150 GB + photo's. I can't dream of my HD and its backup to both fail, get stolen, etc. So I would like to find a way to back them up online.

The regulars like Picasa, Flikr et al have serious limitations, even their "pro" (paid) services would be useless to me (my RAW files are minimum 20 GB a piece, +150 GB, etc).

Where could I find a cheap host which I could use to back up these? The features would be fast upload (don't want to spend weeks uploading), unlimited disk space, unlimited bandwidth and FTP or other way of backing up my photo's. No need to share them on the web or anything, I just want an additional, lowest cost possible, safehaven for my photo's.

Any suggestions?
    you should get 1 or 2 external hardrives with raid 1 in them.

A host will not be as reliable as lets say you forgot to pay your bill.... some hosts will delete your data. And the fact that it would take the average person over 3 weeks to upload all those pictures 24/7
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.

Most webhosts won't let your use their hosting as storage like this. You could look at Amazon S3 for cloud storage or just use a backup drive or multiple ones stored at different locations.
    linveo.com | Shared Hosting | AMD and Intel KVM VPS | Dedicated Servers
    Direct Admin | VirtFusion | TenantOS | 24/7/365 Support

Get 2 very reliable External HDs put one in your safe and send one to someone in another state tell them to put in there safe

Quote Originally Posted by zinneken View Post
    my RAW files are minimum 20 GB a piece, +150 GB, etc
    Try compressing the files.

How about JungleDisk? Uses Rackspace's Mosso and Amazon (I use the rackspace one, works fine, cheap enough.)

150GB should come out to about $22.50 per month. Which is quite reasonable with mosso.
    Last edited by MikeTrike; 08-16-2009 at 01:59 PM.

http://www.idrive.com 150 GB USD 49.50 a year.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Put it on 3 computer HDs and one on an external. So I seriously doubt all 3 HDs will fail and also if you have some sort of power spike you got the external.

Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    Very interesting! Sending in a drive I can do, and then after that it is indeed just uploading the new pictures. Who offers such a service?

How about filehosts like rapidshare megaupload filesavr stuff like that some are free and some paid

Also I'm interested on service where you can send in drives and they upload it please can someone mention some stuff

You will never be able to upload 150GB on a home broadband connection in less than a week, and thats having it running all the way through 24/7.

Sending in a hard drive to a company is a great solution, I've seen comapanies which offer this, but I can't recall any right now though.
    - Colin Dunn | Systems Administrator
    I think CentOS is a pretty cool guy. eh runs mah server and doesnt afraid of anything...
    ^ That sig/meme is so old, I just don't have the heart to change it. I hope the cool kids around still get it... 2008 was a good year!

Drobo, seriously can't live without it!

Quote Originally Posted by frankiee View Post
    Drobo, seriously can't live without it!
    My drobo only has about 300GB left, of 1.8TB

Time to pop in another drive "of any size" and away we go!

I use http://www.mozy.com and I have a backup over 600GB stored with them (photo's, raw-files, etc.). Highly recommended as far as I am concerned and only $4,95 per month.

I don't know if Amazon S3 is suitable for this but it seems pretty cheap and reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by mash-e1 View Post
    How about filehosts like rapidshare megaupload filesavr stuff like that some are free and some paid

Also I'm interested on service where you can send in drives and they upload it please can someone mention some stuff
    Have a look at Amazon S3
    especially this feature.

http://aws.amazon.com/importexport/
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

Quote Originally Posted by coduk View Post
    You will never be able to upload 150GB on a home broadband connection in less than a week, and thats having it running all the way through 24/7.

Sending in a hard drive to a company is a great solution, I've seen comapanies which offer this, but I can't recall any right now though.
    I'd really consider this option, because really, uploading 150GB + on a home broadband connection would really take a long, long time.

In my opinion, if you upload your photos to a web host offering unlimited disk space, you've got more chance of your safe being broken into.

If you want to keep it securely online, get your own dedicated server with a 160GB HDD. You'll be pretty much using a dedicated server with some hosts anyway. However, this is a much dearer option compared to the external hard drive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast