Thread: fax payments

fax payments

is it possible to fax a check or money order?? Are there any hosts that accept this payment method?

lol

Have you ever tried taking a fax of a check to your bank and asking them to give you money for it? Just give it a go...
    Chris at TDMWeb.com
    Windows & Linux hosting and fully managed dedicated servers with great customer service!
    UK-based but serving the world...

yea thats what i thought...but look at this:

http://hostmatix.com/pre-order.php

"If you are mailing or
    faxing a check to us, you will be contacted with detailed instructions."

You can fax a check to merchants that take what banks call "electronic checks" or "echecks", but you can not fax a money order. (last time I checked)
    Also echecks done in this manner, especially with recurring payments are very hard for you to cancel, so I really wouldn't recommend it. You can't do chargebacks on them once they are processed, and if you decided to discontinue using their services, you have to ask the merchant to stop the recurring charges, and hope they comply.

A real check is safer, because it only gives them the amount on the check one time. (unless you send them a cancelled check and sign an agreement for a recurring charge)
    A credit card is even safer because, if the product or service is not delivered, you can do a chargeback.
    Last edited by ATST; 11-12-2002 at 09:07 AM.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!
    I know ***** ripped off everybody else, but they wouldn't do it to me.
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."
    "You do what you are, and you are what you do."

ic...thanks for clearing that up

btw, if i sent out a check through mail, how long would it take for them to receive it? (from Los Angeles to New York)

I'd guess at a week or more from a big city to a big city.
    For instance, in NY city, it can take a week to get a letter across town. Now if you send a letter from small town in whateverstate USA, to anothersmall town in whateverstate USA, it could get there in only 2 or three days.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."

I'm not sure in 2 or 3 days. It would sit in your town for a day, and then depending on it's point in travel, it could be on the ground for a day or two. Then it would sit in another town's post office for a day before going to delivery.

About big city, a week sounds good. Not sure if it would be over because bigger city means bigger post office with more staff.

I live in a small town in MI, and my Sis lived in NY city, NY. Now she is in Minneappolis, MN. Trust me I know how long it takes the bigger post offices to get mail across a city with many zip codes.
    Remember zip codes are based on population size, not area size.
    My small town doesn't have that letter 12 hours after they picked it up. 24 hours later, it is out of our state and on it's way to the state to which it was addressed. How fast things happen when it reaches their state, depends on how many zip codes their city has to deal with.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!

Correction, it will get from the Big City to the Big City rather quickly, it's just getting it from the crazy ass post office in the big city to the location that is the problem.

actually, why worry about all of that? Just send it via USPS 2 - 3 Day Priorty for like $3.50.

Good Luck!

ATST, I have sent many letters to New York City and it has not taken any longer than a week.

Well here in Europe at least sometimes when you send money to someone via postal order etc etc and you FAX him the order too, he will f.e. make an account for you or do whatever you agreed on BEFORE he gets that order cause it takes days to reach him. Of course there is still trust involved but there is still a big difference between words on the phone or seeing the payment/order, even if "just" on fax...

Correction.
    Faxing a copy of a money order only means the person bought a money order and faxed a copy of it. Absolutely nothing more!
    In the US, a person proving to be the original buyer of the money order by producing both the actual money order and the stub at the place where it was purchased, may cash it back in. Even if the money order has already been made payable to "some body else"
    Don't let some one with this knowledge dupe you into providing products or services just because they faxed a copy of a money order. Always wait untill the money order has been deposited in your bank account first.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!