Outsourced or Not?

I've been scanning around various other hosting sites over the last few days, and I keep seeing many sites claiming that they DO NOT outsource their support.

Why does it matter if you outsource support?

We outsource our support, and our clients know it. They are very happy with our support with guaranteed responses within 30 minutes.

What about companies like BobCares? Would it be wrong to outsource them as your support?

I just don't get it... Anyone else feel like this?

If a company doesn't outsource the support and still have 24/7 it generally must mean that they have a lot of staff making the company "look" bigger and people like to be hosted by a big company.

Also most of us have had an experience where you call a company and get someone in another country that can't really understand you, it's just not that professional and doesn't really give you that much confidence in the company.

Our sourcing to the right people is ok; just make sure they are professional.
    BotWars.io - Code the AI of your Battle Bot!

Out sourcing has a very bad stigma to it, when people think outsourced, they think overseas support, with broken english, inability to understand your problem and limited ability to correct any given situation or generic canned responses (eg. is your modem plugged into the wall? does it have power? are the lights on? did you power cycle it? do you currently have electricity in your house? Oh you're running linux, that dsl modem does not support linux) type responses.

It's not always best to be hosted by a "big" company.

We outsource our support to Indians, but not any old Indians. I have been personal friends with the owner of the support company for about 5 years now.

There written English is perfect, but vocal English isn't too great, which is why we don't offer phone support

The guys are professional though.. I say "lol" or something to them over MSN and they say"hmm" as if to say, we're better than you... LOL

I must also admit that I myself am guilty of advertising non out-sourced support locally. Previously I dealt with many local businesses and when they heard we did not out-source support, they were delited.

They like the idea that the person they are dealing with right now, face-to-face is the person or part of the team that is backing them up in the time of need that will understand them and their situation. It's comforting to most clients.

Customers want to think they can pick up the phone and talk to a local person just down the road that knows what they are talking about..

The fact it advertising "none outsourced" is going to sell more than not advertising it...
    BotWars.io - Code the AI of your Battle Bot!

We are planning on outsourcing a team in the US for phone sales/support soon.

I am around most of the time so I can answer phones and things and most of our clients have my personal number, so it's all good

I must also admit that I myself am guilty of advertising non out-sourced support locally. Previously I dealt with many local businesses and when they heard we did not out-source support, they were delited.
    Not be offensive or rude, Though you lied to customers about not outsourcing when you do/did?

That is a big no no, Basically if people know you lied about this 'What Else' are you lying about or have or will do.

I reckon a good idea would be to tell it on your site but if people take notice of it is another story.

-Sean
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

Outsourcing is not a crime nor one should hide that from their clients, Honesty is the best policy - If you be honest with your clients - of course they understand and they will cooperate with you.

The major mistake made by most of the companies is they pay dimes and expect same work as professionals -- the equation never match and the companies have long stories to tell people how their out-source company failed to deliver.

Don't think client are happy because they know that support person sitting in US / UK -- what client want is timely and friendly support.

Come on guys - "this is era of globalization"..

I don't outsource mine, and don't plan to, for now...I know many of my customers by name (though I don't get many support tickets admittedly) this way, and they know me. It promotes a real feeling of knowing someone's really in their corner who can help them out if they need it.

If you outsource to an American company (presuming you live in US) you will be met favorably. Its not the outsourcing, per se (all here do it on one level or another), its the overseas outsourcing that many have a problem with. Its one of the reasons I chose GoDaddy for some of my outsourcing.
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ

This thread reminds me of a Pakistani webhost that proudly claims they don't outsource support. Of course they are only stating the truth . I guess they state that to attract american customers. Of course its not outsourcing that americans don't like they just don't like outsourcing to non-americans whose English accent they can't understand. I rather like this outsourcing trend. Its like reverse colonisation.

I agree with the other sentiments in this thread. Outsourcing support is perfectly fine provided they're able to accomplish the task of providing support, and have an excellent grasp of the language the customers speak. It shouldn't matter where anyone is located, as long as they can do the job and to a required standard.

I much prefer the approach of advertising "in-house" support instead of advertising that you don't outsource your support. It always seemed a lot more professional to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ATH-Sean View Post
    Not be offensive or rude, Though you lied to customers about not outsourcing when you do/did?

That is a big no no, Basically if people know you lied about this 'What Else' are you lying about or have or will do.

I reckon a good idea would be to tell it on your site but if people take notice of it is another story.

-Sean
    What are you talking about? How do you get that I lied to clients about not out-sourcing? I do not outsource, and I advertise as such. Not sure where you are coming from here.

Quote Originally Posted by CoishAssociates View Post
    What are you talking about? How do you get that I lied to clients about not out-sourcing? .
    I sort of thought the same thing also when you wrote:

I must also admit that I myself am guilty of advertising non out-sourced support locally
    I guess it was the "guilty" part that threw us off. So if you are not guilty of saying that when its not true, what are you guilty of?
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ

It was this line that you wrote in regards to Outsourcing...
    You wrote you are guilty of advertising non-outsourced support, Then you went on to say they you did not outsource you support?

This was the part I was referring too. Did I mistake what I read?
    I guess it was the "guilty" part that threw us off. So if you are not guilty of saying that when its not true, what are you guilty of?
    It was exactly. Guilty of what, Outsourcing or not..

-Sean
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

Outsourcing isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it is something that clients would like to know about. It also depends on the motivation behind why the company is outsourcing. Is it to save money? Or is it to provide a better end-user experience? Usually it is the former.

One area where smaller webhosts can compete with the larger web hosts, is on support. Fast, friendly, plain English. By nullifying that potential advantage against your competitors by outsourcing your customer service/support, you'd better be outsourcing to some damned good guys.

Our clients love that they can call our office, speak to someone who can help them there and then, who can understand them and work with them to resolve their issue.
    Darren Lingham - Stablepoint Hosting
    Stablepoint - Cloud Web Hosting without compromise
    We provide industry-leading cPanel™ web hosting in 80+ global cities.

Out sourcing has a very bad stigma to it, when people think outsourced, they think overseas support, with broken english, inability to understand your problem and limited ability to correct any given situation or generic canned responses (eg. is your modem plugged into the wall? does it have power? are the lights on? did you power cycle it? do you currently have electricity in your house? Oh you're running linux, that dsl modem does not support linux) type responses.
    I feel that your comment is very bias...

Quote Originally Posted by FFmpegArticles View Post
    Outsourcing is not a crime nor one should hide that from their clients, Honesty is the best policy - If you be honest with your clients - of course they understand and they will cooperate with you.
    90% will not understand, as they have an odd way of thinking that outsource = bad.
    The major mistake made by most of the companies is they pay dimes and expect same work as professionals -- the equation never match and the companies have long stories to tell people how their out-source company failed to deliver.
    Agreed.
    Don't think client are happy because they know that support person sitting in US / UK -- what client want is timely and friendly support.
    They are not happy about it, but they feel good about it...
    Come on guys - "this is era of globalization"..
    Add a "pre-" in front of globalisation...

Quote Originally Posted by LaptopFreak View Post
    90% will not understand, as they have an odd way of thinking that outsource = bad.
    But that stigma isn't without foundation - it is usually because the customer has dealt with outsourced customer service departments/support in the past from other companies, and had a bad experience.
    Darren Lingham - Stablepoint Hosting
    Stablepoint - Cloud Web Hosting without compromise
    We provide industry-leading cPanel™ web hosting in 80+ global cities.

Quote Originally Posted by ATH-Sean View Post
    It was this line that you wrote in regards to Outsourcing...
    You wrote you are guilty of advertising non-outsourced support, Then you went on to say they you did not outsource you support?

This was the part I was referring too. Did I mistake what I read?

It was exactly. Guilty of what, Outsourcing or not..

-Sean
    Guilty of advertising that we do not outsource support.. (aka we use this marketing tactic to advertise that our support is NOT out sourced. We do not lie, as it is not outsourced.

I am merely stating that we ourselves locally market the "non outsourced support" in flyers or letters because it is not. I am admitting that we ourselves, use this marketing for vailidating to our customers that our support is done "in house". I do not lie, especially with business matters or to clients.

I do not know how much clearer I can make this, I hope you understand what I'm talking about now.

Originally Posted by CoishAssociates
    I feel that your comment is very bias...
    Yes, it is quite bias. This is not my personal view, I am simply commenting on my personal experience with clients and they're general thoughts / fears when they hear of "outsourced" support.