When Ordering a Game Server.

Hello Folks,

I would like to hear, when you are going to be ordering from a game server host, what do you like for in that host ? What makes you place that order ?

Price ? Customer Support ? etc etc.

Thanks!

Price, reliability (server/network uptime), good connection (connected to the backbones, low pings, etc), a decent control panel to maintain the server..

Most game server clients are not system admin's so they need a good control panel, it really is one of the most important parts.
    Next you need to make sure there is a decent network, who wants to play a game with everything jumping? 1second of downtime can make you lose a client, no joke.
    If you mange them two you get nearly no support tickets
    - Buying up websites, side-projects and companies - PM Me! -

What control panel mostly use is it cpanel or plesk.Which is better?How about speed is 100mbs enough

Quote Originally Posted by Yepee View Post
    What control panel mostly use is it cpanel or plesk.Which is better?How about speed is 100mbs enough

Those are webhosting control panels and not suited for game servers..

100mbps is way more then enough for game hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by Yepee View Post
    cpanel / plesk are not game server control panels, you want to use something like tcadmin if you are using windows.

A couple good comments, would like to see this thread filled with them though
    EQHosting - Experience the Difference
    Web Hosting - Game Servers - Ventrilo Servers - Dedicated Servers
    █ 24/7 Support - Instant Setup - 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    EQHosting.com - Twitter

I personally like TCAdmin. When I was new to game servers, it was extremely easy to understand and manage. Other things:

- Auto-installers (basic mods, etc.)
    - Re-installers
    There were numerous times when I was new and learning about all this stuff that I had to reinstall my server.

- Great support
    There was one time I was installing a modification in my old server with a particular company. I asked the support for help and they did not just fix the problem but they explained it to me so that I could get it working properly myself and so that I wouldn't make the same mistake.

- Live online/chat support
    Whenever I have a quick question, it's great to be able to ask someone quickly through live chat whenever possible but I understand it's almost impractical to have it 24/7.

- Test servers
    I like to test out the server quality before I buy.

Also, aside from what I mentioned above, I tend to compare prices between other companies and try out each of them.

Nowadays I don't need much support and my basic happiness usually depends on the network/uptime - as long as there's no lag or downtime.
    Last edited by silentFuzz; 09-26-2009 at 07:54 PM.

Hello,

cPanel does have a game server module, we have a few clients using it.

check it out @

http://cpgs.cpanel.net/

Cheers.

Great support, and performance reliability.
    Cheers,
    MaxFrag Ventrilo Hosting "The King of Online Voice Communication"
    Visit MaxFrag.net | Ventrilo Servers | Ventrilo Status Monitor |
    24/7 Customer Support - Price Matching - Money Back Guarantee

TCAdmin is a great gameserver panel.

Probably the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Zackvz View Post
    TCAdmin is a great gameserver panel.

Probably the best.
    Everyone talks great about TCAdmin because it is great, but can anyone vouch for SwiftPanel?

Quote Originally Posted by xguju View Post
    Everyone talks great about TCAdmin because it is great, but can anyone vouch for SwiftPanel?
    I believe they have a free trial. Install it and decide for yourself

- Auto Installers
    - Low pings
    - Price
    - Good control Panel
    - Free teamspeak server/discounted
    XHtml, CSS, and Photoshop | W3C Compliance Coding! | 100% Hand Coding!
    All designs come with 100% Satisfaction
    5+ Years of Experience - PM ME

Quote Originally Posted by Defcon|Rich View Post
    I believe they have a free trial. Install it and decide for yourself
    Weee, Swift Panel sucks compared to TCAdmin.

Would be nice to have something basic like in Europe/civilization.

US$50.00pm includes.
    4000gb/5000gb transfer pm.
    2 or more cores at minm 2.5ghz, 2gb ram. 1 core 99% usage, ram 60% to 90% usage.
    Tcadmin or direct rdp, ftp ssh or similar.
    Something that is on a main backbone and not on the iffy CA to GA link that gets messed up everytime there is action in the middle east "remote drone bandwidth usage"

The admin control panel = who cares as long as I can start stop reset and get access to the server files = change them as need + lots of stat on hardware and bandwidth then no problem.

The tech support either will not be able to or have the faintest clue what a game is or how to set it up so will have to do it myself + optimize connection speeds / dns servers ans other settings.

Something that uses either opendns and or verizon 4.2.2.1/6 to stabilize the connection.

Dedicated server or dedicated game server managed or virtualized guest dedicated server that is optimized for international high latency usage.
    ie: stable under 999ms to 80ms avg.400ms conditions so more ram cached and higher cpu priority.

Idiots in Africa do this why not educated clowns in US.

Website hosting and downloadable maps / mods content / teamspeak above and beyond this would be great + incl. in price.

I see 1 price I pay 1 price not bill me for the weed the tech support needs when he is not doing his job or local taxes and 911 calls when I have nothing to do with that state or country.

This way the US$18pm reseller host can still make close to 200% profit and get a half decent ape that has never seen a pc to admin and tech support problems.

Just not sure where or if possible to find a decent host to get a reseller account from that does not oversell x 1000 times what their servers should be able to do.

Not sure why no one uses competent educated outsourced US$1 to US$3 per hour guys "remote admins / remote VA's" from overseas that knows what they are doing instead of US$30 to US$120 per hour uneducated morons locally that hates the customers and have no customer service clue unlike foreigners.

I dont think most of us are potential customers but when I was a newb at renting game servers a good looking website was most important haha, i.e gameservers .com
    Leader of Top Notch Clan
    Providing Servers to the TF2 Community Since Day 1

Quote Originally Posted by xguju View Post
    A few months back I have been using SwiftPanel then converted to TCadmin.

SwiftPanel is great; however, the man running it is very unreliable. If you use it, do not allow them to host it. Their server goes down all the time and this prevents you from using ftp and or restarting your game servers.

If you have quick questions about swiftpanel, the guy gives you a run around.

He said version 2.0 would be out within the summer of 2009... Where is it?

I liked swiftpanel for a low cost linux game control panel. However, it would be awesome if it actually came with a good development team.

If you have linux, swiftpanel would be the way to go.

However, if you could afford windows and TCadmin, you would never look back. TCadmin is amazing!

Being that I am somewhat in the market for a dedicated server, regarding game servers, I am looking for things like,

- Network/Reliability (I would like to play without lag spikes or constant freezing. I am paying for this box and I am the one who will most likely make the most use of it. I understand that there will come a time every blue moon that a glitch or error may occur. It is then that the support team should be able to assist in rectifying the problem.)

- Support (Like above, the support team should be available at the time I need. I personally would be fine with anything ~1hr, if need be, a phone number would also be useful. I am paying over and up to more than $100 a month, so I would like to know that I am getting my monies worth.)

- Cost (I know that hardware is not cheap, but I also do not want to pay an arm and a leg for something that is certainly not compared in price.)

- Ease of Use (I am not a rocket scientist when it comes to Dedicated Servers. I generally do not have much issues when it comes to setting up my own settings or files when I run my Counter-Strike server on LAN, and I know that it is relatively mirrored when it comes to the Internet, save a few changes.

One of the big deciding factors is the control panel and I am fairly common with TCAdmin, but also I can learn custom panels should they provide the right documents, or assistance.).

- Specifications (Up to date hardware, software. Latest upgrades and files so to keep things secure is a top priority to keep the hackers out.)

These are just some of the main points I look around at when trying to decide a future server host.
    Personal Blog: Here | Currently Hosted By: GoDaddy | Twitter: @Quartz87

Quote Originally Posted by Josh A View Post
    Price, reliability (server/network uptime), good connection (connected to the backbones, low pings, etc), a decent control panel to maintain the server..
    I agree with Josh, these are all key in making a decision on a host.