Dell PowerVault NX3000 ?

Anyone have used them ? I tried to find some informations, but can't find any... seems to be new !

I plan to buy one with 2 x 146GB 15k SAS and 4 x 1TB SATA and use it as NFS for XenServer or ESXi (both free version) to have a manual (human) failover (or maybe scripted if I can).

Thanks !
    - nka

All it is is a 2U server being used as a NAS.
    Nothing special.

So I'm better get a server, raid card, Intel NIC and install Windows 2008 on it ?
    - nka

My understanding is that it's basically just one of their 2U boxes with the PERC RAID card that has external adapters to attach MD1000's for expansion. It also comes with Windows Storage Server as the OS.

Since it appears to be the same basic chassis as the R710, I'm not sure that you can mix and match SAS and SATA. Unless they've changed the setup it's only all SAS or SATA, not mixed. You'll want to ask Dell directly about that. You might be better and less expensive with just the normal R710 server, RAID card w/cache, fill it with 6 SAS or SATA drives (RAID-6 or 10) and run one of the open source OS solutions like OpenFiler.

You might be set on just using NFS, but we went with a MD3000i SAN and have been very happy with it. We have over 40 production 2008 VMs on it using ISSCI in a Hyper-V cluster and the performance is terrific. We went with 15K SAS drives in RAID-6. If the usage levels remain linear from here we should be able to run somewhere around 100 or as high as 130 VMs given our amount of storage with very good performance. You can mix and match SAS and SATA on the MD3000i.

Dell has some very good white papers in regards to Hyper-V, storage and best practices. I know they have them for VMware of course too, but you might want to check to see what recommendations they have for Xen.
    Last edited by AI-Wayne; 08-15-2009 at 02:01 PM.
    Applied Innovations (www.appliedi.net)
    Microsoft Gold Certified Hosting Partner, ASP.net Featured Host.
    Specializing in Windows Hosting since 1999.

We also went with a MD3000 works perfect everything on it is redundant and easy to set-up through the software they give. Used with a ESXi vmware setup.
    - Buying up websites, side-projects and companies - PM Me! -

I know I can mix SAS and SATA, that's the Dell guys who confirm me this.

How much did the basic MD3000i cost ?

I was looking at the MD1000 at first, but can't have more than one server connecter at once.
    - nka

Quote Originally Posted by excessnet View Post
    How much did the basic MD3000i cost ?
    You'll want to contact your Dell rep for pricing, but I think (just educated guess) the minimal price is somewhere around $5K since the MSRP is $6500. Could be less depending on your discount and what additional features you add.
    Applied Innovations (www.appliedi.net)
    Microsoft Gold Certified Hosting Partner, ASP.net Featured Host.
    Specializing in Windows Hosting since 1999.

I'll contact him. If the price are even, I would like better to have an iSCSI Firmware than NFS drived by Windows

tahnks a lot for your information btw !
    - nka