IP assignment dilemma

I just got another VPS, out of the 5 IP's 1 do not look the same at all and is actually assigned to the server. My dilemma is how to set up my IP's, I need some input.

For example, I have as IP; (IP are made up just as example but reflects my situation):
    Take note that the first IP in the list below has a host number way lower than other IP's.

198.210.45.196 => server IP and server as ns1, and used for a few hosted website with shared IP.
    198.210.45.213 => serve as ns2.
    198.210.45.214 => website 1 with dedicated IP
    198.210.45.215 => website 2 with dedicated IP
    198.210.45.216 => website 3 with dedicated IP

Now with the above I know that the first IP is for the server, and I plan on using it for shared hosting account and ns1, this means I have 4 to juggle with.
    I will do my own nameservers, so using the 198.210.45.196 in any other combination lives me unsatisfied because the first IP is humanly not aesthetic, unmatchable with the other host numbers I have, there is no continuity.

It seems ugly to have a name server with two really different host numbers, don’t you think?

And if I use 2 continuous host numbers (like .215 and ...216) it will leave me with only 2 IP that I can assign to a website(dedicated). Instead if I use the two first IP in the list above for my name servers, I will have more IP's to dedicate.

So considering I need 3 website with dedicated IP, with the list of IP above, what would you recommend? do you guys see something don’t? what can I do other than get another IP from my provider. It seem I am f**ed really good. LOL

To be perfectly honest and to put it bluntly - I don't think any of your customers will really care... At the end of the day its an IP address...It functions in the way its supposed to.

Yes it may be nice to have them all following suite but there really is no need to be unhappy. If you think thats bad wait till IPv6 comes into full force
    Rob - Creative Director
    Peartree Digital Media Solutions & Peartree Hosting Department.
    Providing a range of services from graphic design and XHTML coding to web hosting, VPS and dedicated servers.
    My views and opinions are my own and in no way do they represent the company I work for...

general sound DNS practice is that you dont put master and slaves on the same subnet, same LAN, same city, same geographical region.

So why not just have your master and use free slave service like afraid.org. That will free up an IP that you can use for something else.

as far as your IPs - its just asthetics, to the most part - your client wont even probably know what IPs you are using

I'd not host sites or dns on this IP: 198.210.45.196
    Keep that just for the host, not tied to dns or websites at all. Will make your life easier if there's ever an attack on a shared hosting ip any time.

Also, second getting secondary dns (at least) provided by a 3rd party dns provider.

Just because you have your nameservers configured on one IP doesn't mean you can host websites on that same IP either. You can host websites on the same IPs that you are using DNS on.

Thanks for the input... while for some this topic may be boring, for me it permitted to setup my initial VPS setup the best possible way, sure my IP pool shrank by following the recommendation, but the reasoning behind it is sound and safe... lol ...it's all for my personal website's, but being setup nice never hurts.

Thanks again.

Its a non-issue
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ

Most clients we have want the IP's far apart as possible which is normally a challenge routing and all that, a lot of people will think your blessed
    BotWars.io - Code the AI of your Battle Bot!

Hi,

First of all having both your name-servers on the same subnet is generally discouraged but since your probably using the same server for both name-servers it's fails the single point of failure test anyway.

Normally hosting provides assign "blocks of 5" addresses because they really are assigning you a /29. (8 Addresses. 1 Gateway, 1 Unicast, 1 broadcast)
    ,5 Actually usable) This is not the case here.

I'm not really why you care about having the addresses contiguous because for 99% of our shared customers don't even know or care what their IP address is. The other 1% wants addresses from different subnets because of the SEO myth.
    Common sense is not so common.

Quote Originally Posted by Xous View Post
    Hi,
    First of all having both your name-servers on the same subnet is generally discouraged but since your probably using the same server for both name-servers it's fails the single point of failure test anyway.
    Yes I am aware of this SPOF, looking into finding a solution to it, I think my VPS provider offers free DNS server, if not I will need to get a cheap service just for that. Just because of the SPOF I might have a slower loading website under some circumstances, correct me if I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Xous View Post
    The other 1% wants addresses from different subnets because of the SEO myth.
    I believe in a good semantic page rather than pointless IP SEO myth, so having all IP's in the same range is simply a personal choice.