Question Web Site Reviews

Hi All,

Forst of all if I'm posting this in the wrong place let me know I'll correct the mistake.

I am starting a web site review site. I already hear a lot of those 'oh no, not another one'. Well I would like it not to be yet another one of 'those'.

I am looking for ideas people have on what they would like to see on a review site. I want to know what you like, what irritates you, what should be included and what should definatelly not be there. Are there any rules I should implement? What about moderators? How do I prevent from spamming/flooding/flaming?
    I want an intelligent mixture of a forum and a web site, any ideas?

An important point being that I will not have any sponsors for this website, I have some free time and money (doesn't happen a lot these days) and I would like to create a site where the reviews and opinions would be taken seriously.

I do realise that credibility and respect only comes with time but that is my long term goal.

Once again if this is in the wrong place, let me know and I will move it.

Thanks to everyone in advance

Hi Again,

Sorry to pop this post up again, but could anybody tell me if I posted in the wrong forum or am I just simply not getting replies.

Thanks again ...

You might get more luck if you post it in the Wbhostingtalk Lounge. It's more about general chat, and then you might change the title of the thread as well so people know what you want. Something like: "Creating a Website Reviews Site"
    "Stop flame-wars - Report a post"
    The original Kitty Lizard

Re: Web Site Reviews

Originally posted by ReviewGuy
    I am looking for ideas people have on what they would like to see on a review site. I want to know what you like, what irritates you, what should be included and what should definatelly not be there. Are there any rules I should implement? What about moderators? How do I prevent from spamming/flooding/flaming?
    I want an intelligent mixture of a forum and a web site, any ideas?
    I think a review site should include ratings & comments on:

--design attractive/unattractive/cluttered
    --readability
    --navigability intuitive/poorly organized
    --loading time via 56K modem, under 10 secs/20 secs/30 secs/
    --type & quality of content
    --does it contain an interactive component(s)?
    --basics: is there an 'about' section, can you quickly locate who to contact, etc.
    --likely demographic group(s) the site would appeal to

The rating system should be kept simple, such as:

4 stars= well-done
    3 stars= good
    2 stars= average
    1 star = poor
    0 stars= stinks

and most my components in the first list should be rated this way, plus a cumulative site rating. If the site is overall truly exceptional, add the highest rating, such as 'Editor pick'.

Beyond that, getting an idea of what experts look for can help. Sites like http://www.useit.com/ and http://www.contentious.com/ can give you ideas about what some better known experts think are good for usability and content. I'm not sure where the aesthetic design experts are.

Good luck; hope to see the result some day.

-Kevin

I think you should setup a point system or something, not quite sure how it would work, but some way to let members have status, like if their site is really good and they get good reviews they get more points so they have a higher "status" than other members. That way people can be proud of their sites and feel special people always like that.

Also if you need any help with your forums....check out my sig.
    Gaming Forums: NecroTalk.com | DeathKnightArmy.com NEW!

are there free review sites out there?

useit.com is nice

First of all ... thanks for the replies ...

I have a question ... What would you consider as items action which would make you think that the 'site has lost it's credibility'
    I see that a lot with review sites and it ususally comes up that hosting company X is now sponsoring or is the owner so they always get the best reviews ...

If the site was totally independent and ads, if any were totally separate from the reviews, would there be any other BIG things which would make you lose faith in the reviews posted.

Anyway, thanks a mil to all those who replied, I'm taking note of all the suggestions and will try and implement all the ideas in the new site.

Also, before I forget, would anybody be interested in becoming a reviewer, if so let me know. I am still not sure how reviewers would be chosen. I do however know that you would not be allowed to review your own site or any other site you are afiliated with. the problem here is HOW to check if you are affiliated with that site .... all questions requiring thought ...

Once again thanks for ideas and keep them comming ...

Hi All,

Oh well looks like WHT doesn't like event the prospect of competition. This post has been moved furrther and further down into the dungeons, I have also received 'mod' mail prohibiting this discussion in open forums. Look like I'll have to give up on this avenue of gathering information.

Thanks to those who posted replies and sent PM's.