Tableless pages using CSS

I recently created a new website which has tableless pages and depends mostly on CSS.

There are some problems in IE 6.0 and 6.5. Any idea what percentage of web surfers still use these old browsers? My clients are not web savvy.

I have used JS browser dection to determine the version of browser and work off of two CSS sheets. The sheet for the old browsers will need some work. Am I wasting my time? Should I go with pages that use tables?

Well its a bit hard to get accurate statistics as depending on the site the numbers will change. If you have analytics information about your site from something like http://analytics.google.com/ you should be able to see. If not you can look at: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp. For July 2009 IE6 had 14.6%.

That said I have run into issues with IE6 quite often but most can be fixed with just a few tweaks. If you post the site maybe you can get some tricks here to help you fix it up.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Well those stats are interesting. I am glad Firefox is doing so well. I am surprized IE 7 has gone down so much. I realize part of it must be due to IE8 coming up. Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I recently created a new website which has tableless pages and depends mostly on CSS.

There are some problems in IE 6.0 and 6.5. Any idea what percentage of web surfers still use these old browsers? My clients are not web savvy.

I have used JS browser dection to determine the version of browser and work off of two CSS sheets. The sheet for the old browsers will need some work. Am I wasting my time? Should I go with pages that use tables?
    Why use JS when you can simply use Conditional Comments to serve up the tweaked CSS to IE 6 and 5.5, and it is standards compliant and ignored by other browsers? It is better than using JS
    Cpanel/WHM PHP Perl Ruby Full Time Support
    LCWSoft - Canada web hosting (based in Newfoundland) since 2007
    Servers based in the US and Canada (Uptime Report)

Quote Originally Posted by larwilliams View Post
    Why use JS when you can simply use Conditional Comments to serve up the tweaked CSS to IE 6 and 5.5, and it is standards compliant and ignored by other browsers? It is better than using JS
    i agree with that answer use that technique its much better and easier and i thin soon IE 6 will be gone away and my users use firefox and IE8 much more than any other so i mainly design for those tow and tweak some code to work with IE6 using Conditional Comments

Quote Originally Posted by kootta View Post
    i agree with that answer use that technique its much better and easier and i thin soon IE 6 will be gone away and my users use firefox and IE8 much more than any other so i mainly design for those tow and tweak some code to work with IE6 using Conditional Comments
    Unfortunately, IE6 is not going away any time soon. You can thank MS for this because most of the IE6 installs are on older versions of Windows that are still in use by people (W2k/98, mostly corporate desktops it seems).

Quote Originally Posted by dollar View Post
    Well its a bit hard to get accurate statistics as depending on the site the numbers will change. If you have analytics information about your site from something like http://analytics.google.com/ you should be able to see. If not you can look at: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp. For July 2009 IE6 had 14.6%.

That said I have run into issues with IE6 quite often but most can be fixed with just a few tweaks. If you post the site maybe you can get some tricks here to help you fix it up.
    Nice find, those stats are quite intresting actrally ^_^

Have your tried making a 2nd CSS with a script that will work in IE 6 & 6.5? Like an auto config script, you can nab 1 off the internet for free or for a few pounds/dollas.
    Garbott Ltd - Professional web development & consultancy services
    Oxford.Hosting - Prestigious shared, cloud, dedicated and gaming hosting solutions.

You can add the entire CSS into one config, even for different browsers.
    DesignBear.com
    View Portfolio

A trusted WHT member for over 7 years!

Unfortunately, IE6 is not going away any time soon. You can thank MS for this because most of the IE6 installs are on older versions of Windows that are still in use by people (W2k/98, mostly corporate desktops it seems).
    yeah ur right and i hope it go away as soon as possible it make me overwhelmed when i start to design a new site

Quote Originally Posted by kootta View Post
    yeah ur right and i hope it go away as soon as possible it make me overwhelmed when i start to design a new site
    You find it overwhelming? I find it easy now. It's the same 4-5 bugs you deal with all the time (margin issues, padding issues, box model issues).

You find it overwhelming? I find it easy now. It's the same 4-5 bugs you deal with all the time (margin issues, padding issues, box model issues).
    Couldn't agree more. A lot of designers freak out and don't realise that a lot of the compatibility fixes they do are really just the same thing. A lot of design sites actually have guides showing what the usual problems are in IE6's CSS rendering and how to fix them.
    DesignBear.com
    View Portfolio

A trusted WHT member for over 7 years!

For IE issues I use this code to grab a different stylesheet just for IE. Works very well:
    Code:
    <!--[if IE]>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="ie-style.css" />
    <![endif]-->
    Tailored VPS offers fully customizable VPS Hosting