Exclamation Where is your forum hosted?

Hi guys,

I am searching for a host package which is good for a forum with 10k members, around 10gb database, bandwidth 60gb/month (increasing 10-15% monthly) and 70 - 100 members online. ATM budget is 7US$/month (can be up to 10$)
    Anyone experience with good hosting supplier for forums?

Thanh Nguyen

<<Snipped>>

If your forum is that popular get yourself a real account with daily offsite backups and you'll probably find something VPS wise in the $25-40 range.

If your forum makes you money you might want to consider a dedicated server, even a low end one can be had for $70 per month.
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 08-14-2009 at 03:00 AM.
    http://www.wpdirectorypro.com is a premium plugin to make a directory using WordPress
    http://www.pocketbikeforum.com racing, mods, sales, and general discussion of pocket bikes

I may have a look at a VPS package also

It will be tough finding a host within your $7 per month budget that's able to support a forum of that size. A VPS is highly recommended if you don't want to run into any issues with account suspensions.

Quote Originally Posted by thanhnguyen View Post
    I may have a look at a VPS package also
    Good news: There are VPS hosting plans available starting at USD $10/mo.
    Bad news: That doesn't include a control panel like cPanel. It's also 100% unmanaged.
    What's your budget?

Seriously, what's your budget?

You cant do anything with $7 for a forum that big and growing fast. You will need to look into getting a VPS that will probably cost $40-$60.

- Daniel
    Managed & Unmanaged SSD VPS's by tmzVPS.com | FAST PURE SSD & HDD Plans!
    █ Locations in USA & United Kingdom - Legal Adult Content Allowed! 24/7 Certified Support.
    cPanel/WHM Included | Premium Softaculous | Data Migration Included with Managed Support.
    █ INSTANT SETUP | Paypal, Skrill, 2checkout, BitCoin & all Major Credit Cards Accepted! Skype: tmzvps.chat

For such a low budget, it will be hard to find a host which can match your needs. If you increase your budget but like $22, up to $30 or even $40, more options will be available to you with better performace too.

IF you think you cant pay that much a month, have you ever thought about getting some adverts on your forum? Approch a business saying "With this many views on my site, this could increase your sales by Blah Blah". That could end up paying for itself?

Just a surgestion thought.
    Garbott Ltd - Professional web development & consultancy services
    Oxford.Hosting - Prestigious shared, cloud, dedicated and gaming hosting solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by TmzHosting View Post
    You cant do anything with $7 for a forum that big and growing fast. You will need to look into getting a VPS that will probably cost $40-$60.

- Daniel
    I agree. But stay away from cheap vps as your forum is popular.

You've actually hit the limit for shared hosting. I would suggest looking into Semi-Dedicated hosting if you don't want to manage a server.

Hi guys,

I am searching for a host package which is good for a forum with 10k members, around 10gb database, bandwidth 60gb/month (increasing 10-15% monthly) and 70 - 100 members online. ATM budget is 7US$/month (can be up to 10$)

Thanh Nguyen
    I am afraid you will not find any host being able to do this at the price level you are suggesting; unless they sponsor you in a way; maybe this is the way for you to be able to continue this growing forum.

Also look into ways to monetize your forum; a busy forum like this should bring a bit more as just $7 a month into the pocket.

Bad news: That doesn't include a control panel like cPanel. It's also 100% unmanaged.`
    Worst news: You can't run a forum with a 10 GB DB from a VPS with only 512 MB .

With 10 GB of Database you are definitely out of the league of shared accounts, you may want to search a big VPS or a Dedicated server, IMHO a Semi-dedicated is not an option either.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito View Post

With 10 GB of Database you are definitely out of the league of shared accounts, you may want to search a big VPS or a Dedicated server, IMHO a Semi-dedicated is not an option either.
    Jedito, just wondering, why would a Semi-Dedicated not be an option, but a VPS is ?

Hi guys,

Thanh Nguyen
    Why a 10GB database? You should be able to handle hundreds of thousands of posts -- with some attachments -- with a few hundred mb database.

I would be interested personally in seeing the *actual* disk/transfer/database size/usages as they are right now and I am curious as to where you currently have this hosted?

I could see it doing ok on a semi-dedicated plan (fully managed high-end shared account that includes a control panel) but even then you are looking at a minimum of $20~30/month depending on the provider.

As others have said I don't see you being able to get what you need within your budget if your actual usage is what you say it is (and it's not just a guesstimant of what you need)
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 040Hosting View Post
    Jedito, just wondering, why would a Semi-Dedicated not be an option, but a VPS is ?
    10 GB of Database IMHO is out of the limits of any shared environment, that includes a semi-dedicated.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    Why a 10GB database? You should be able to handle hundreds of thousands of posts -- with some attachments -- with a few hundred mb database.
    Some people loves to attach files on the DB, yesterday I moved a 30000 posts DB of a Vbulletin forum which is using +2 GB DB.

I would say that going to a VPS or small dedicated would fit your situitation. You'll definitely need around $30 to get a nice VPS.
    #---.#---###### | Host Mist LLC - Helping People Say Hello World™
    #---.#---#--#--# || Shared, Reseller, Master Reseller, VPS, Dedicated
    ####---#--#--# }| Featuring multiple locations across the US & Germany.
    #---#---#--#--# #| Connecting the world through web hosting.

10 GB of Database IMHO is out of the limits of any shared environment, that includes a semi-dedicated.
    I don't see why it would be, chances are there are attachments in the DB which can be migrated to the file system depending on the forum software.

I guess it would be out of the range for the average shared/semi-dedicated that only allocates 4~8gb for /var though.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Hehe good point, I sorta overlooked that minor detail
    What's your budget?

Seriously, what's your budget?

Guess we disagree on this one any quality semi-dedicated server can handle this without a problem. But yes; i am sure there are plenty semi-dedicated providers who can't, but to be fair you can cross off a lot of VPS providers as well.

Although; certainly not for the for the budget the op is looking at.

It will be hard to find shared hosting for very big forum, and if you find it they will probably suspend your account and ask you to move to VPS or dedicated server. Your forum currently have 10k members which means it will continue to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by hostbite View Post
    It will be hard to find shared hosting for very big forum, and if you find it they will probably suspend your account and ask you to move to VPS or dedicated server. Your forum currently have 10k members which means it will continue to grow.
    Regular shared yes - this is where semi-dedicated really shines... 15 to 35 accounts per server depending on the provider allows a lot of headroom especially when a majority of people who sign up for semi-dedicated don't even really need it most of the time

Regular shared yes - this is where semi-dedicated really shines... 15 to 35 accounts per server depending on the provider allows a lot of headroom especially when a majority of people who sign up for semi-dedicated don't even really need it most of the time
    Easily said, But how do we know if they place more than 15-35 on that Semi-Dedicated Server?

It would be easy for a host to say they have 35 accounts on that server, Though there could be 100 and the client would not know?

Curious about that.
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) • Shared • Reseller • Cloud VPS • Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider • Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM • R1Soft Backups • 24/7/365 Support • 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com • Customer Service Rep. • Superior Service Guarantee

Quote Originally Posted by ATH-Sean View Post
    Easily said, But how do we know if they place more than 15-35 on that Semi-Dedicated Server?

It would be easy for a host to say they have 35 accounts on that server, Though there could be 100 and the client would not know?

Curious about that.
    Sean, you can say the same about a VPS; just because you don't see other users it does not mean there are not, even far worse as on a semi-dedicated server. Because each VPS could host hunderds of site in it without you never knowing it is. But still using the IO resources of the VPS node.

To be honest, I believe even 15-35 users on a semi-dedicated is already a lot.

Sean, you can say the same about a VPS; just because you don't see other users it does not mean there are not, even far worse as on a semi-dedicated server. Because each VPS could host hunderds of site in it without you never knowing it is. But still using the IO resources of the VPS node.

To be honest, I believe even 15-35 users on a semi-dedicated is already a lot.
    I 100% Agree with you Patrick!
    My whole point is a host can say they have this amount of clients per individual server, Though how many exceed that or place more than they should?
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) • Shared • Reseller • Cloud VPS • Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider • Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM • R1Soft Backups • 24/7/365 Support • 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com • Customer Service Rep. • Superior Service Guarantee

Moreover, if you did kinow how many sites are on a server you still don't know how large the server is. Is 10 sites on a 1GB/1cpu server better than 35 sites on 8gb/4cpu server???

A good reason to go local for some of these things -- you (customer) can go to datacenter and see for yourself.