VPS Servers and Their Network Issues

Many people may not be having any problem over their network issues on a VPS as they don't monitor it closely enough . But a person running game servers can monitor the network through the game. And that's why I want some solution and information about it .So here I am starting it off,

In total I have 3 VPS servers .

Windows VPS 2 GB RAM ( Turnkeyinternet[dot]com )US New York .
    Linux VPS 1 GB RAM ( Santrex[dot]net ) Germany Munich .
    Linux VPS 1 GB RAM ( Connectswitch[dot]com ) Germany Frankfurt .

So here,

I have been facing problems with my network on all 3 of the VPS as told above . Basically I think its more a problem with a VPS in general rather a company that runs it .

Basically, I run game servers on VPS for Clans.
    I am founder of >|S4A|< ( s4aclan[dot]com ) and I am running game servers for my clan also and I rent servers to other clans too . So I have been facing problems like when people are playing in the game servers, Suddenly at a time the game server starts lagging . The Lag happens due to the rise of ping of people which rises suddenly for all ( Like 20 people in server ) and then comes back to normal after abt 5 secs . This happens like in 2-3 hours . I don't know why it happens but I think that the reason I know is right .

For me it happens because,
    On a VPS mostly there is a shared 100 mbps internet connection for like 8-10 people on the main node. So its like when everyone is using the network or downloading, then the speed will be divided among the people using it . But as you know as Game servers hardly Download / Upload anything . And what they require is just a constant network supply so the ping of people is constant and doesn't fluctuate . So I think when the other people are downloading, it affects other people not using it . Like some game servers or other things which are there on VPS of others. And if others are not downloading/uploading anything, one can use the burst network speed which causes problem for others not using the network .

Like just an example,

Like just an example here,

In my home PC ,

Lets say that I start a game server .
    And about 20 people are playing in that game server .
    At the same time, I start a download on the other end .
    The Download will give me full speed depending upon my connection speed because the game server is hardly using any bandwidth or downloading / uploading anything .
    And on the other end at game server due to the downloading being done, the pings of people will rise and they will start lagging . Same is the case here what I am trying to explain . I hope you are getting my point .]

And that is why the speed of all the VPS is variable.
    Mostly between 2.5 mbps to 5 mbps . And sometimes maybe 10 mbps depending upon the usage and load .

What I told many companies was my point.
    And told them to do something that people have a guaranteed supply of network all the time even if they are not using it.
    And it can burst when there is a need .

I have complained about it to all the companies.
    Many say different things . And words like impossible , etc .
    And they are messing up my concept of networks also lol .

My German server companies just have a 100 mb connection .
    Shared with like 8 - 10 people and being used on individual VPS machines without any ports.

But the US company give a 10 mbps virtual port .
    Although they also have a 100 mb connection shared .
    And my US server on Windows works better than others .
    Like I don't see any lag on it these days and I have about 50 people on it sometimes . As also it is windows and WINDOWS OS reserves 20 % bandwidth as some know about it. I don't know the purpose of the port at 10 mbps. But its either due to these 2 reasons that my server in USA works better . And maybe that makes a difference but I am not sure.

This thing lacks in Germany servers.
    They are Linux and no virtual ports allocated.
    I don't know if that's needed or some other reason .

But of course something can be done.
    So many software's are available already and being an IT company, they themself can make one .

I understand the burst network speed.
    But it can be done through some software that a single person can't use up all the network speeds.
    At-least 10 % bandwidth speed should be reserved for other things that people run including game servers.
    Like it should be reserved. Its not difficult optimizing it . Or maybe individual Programs for a system are available so rather than installing for whole system, An individual system can reserve network for its programs .And like Windows OS by default reserves 20 % of bandwidth ( Or maybe its just not for all programs ) .

So I posted here to have some information about The network and bandwidths of a VPS for my game servers. And also any solution to what I want . Although I am not sure if the above was right in my opinion . But Waiting for a solution-full reply . Thanks .

Regards,
    Asad Qureshi

There can be of many reasons for this network problem. I would start by checking with your firewall configuration to verify that you are not limiting connections to the required ports ( ie. allowing only specific number of pings in a minute or so). Your downloading port ( assuming your using FTP protocol ) seems to be working fine, but your ping ports seems to be the problem.

Secondly, I would try to minimize the problems with the provider technology. Xen technology is much more difficult to oversell and that would be another reason for slowing down the network connection. You are sharing server resources when using VPS in every case and the network connection is not necessarily an exception.

By Firewall configuration, if you mean the IPTABLES in Cent OS.
    Then on 1 server, I haven't installed those . And on other they are installed but they are OFF .

And I have a OpenVZ from "Santrex".
    While I don't know the one with "Connect Switch".
    But the Control Panel on it is " VEPortal VPS Control Panel " which may also be for OpenVZ but not sure .

And about the Lag,

So the lag doesn't start like if people in server exceed a limit.
    Sometimes even if there are 30 people in server, there is no lag.
    And sometimes it lags even with 5 people. So its random, maybe not related to specific number of pings in a minute or so .

And as my Windows XEN VPS doesn't lag so it could be due to Windows or XEN also and majorly it can also be due to the port I talked about and maybe due to the Network Supply of the company .
    But I am not sure . There could be several reasons .

But with the same company Turnkey, I also had a Xen Linux VPS in USA which in fact lagged the same way so I cancelled my subscription with it .

And if its not the company, I have yet to test my Connect Switch server for lag issues which is not tested yet .

If you are very sure about the amount of bandwidth you will use, try asking your provider(s) to come to a compromise: limit your VPS's bandwidth (say 512kbps or 1Mbps) but get priority in traffic.
    Roy Lee
    ConceptLane Pte Ltd
    Singapore Hosting, VPS, Colo, Dedi, Web Apps

AH Well Yes.

Even 50 GB bandwidth could be enough for me.
    As game servers hardly use that .

But that can happen ?
    Like if bandwidth is less they can give priority to speed ?

It's really up to individual providers to determine if they wish (or are able) to customise the hardware node like that.
    In particular, OpenVZ hosts are full-fledged linux kernels, so if they do not already have traffic shaping/limiting policies in place, it's easily installed (tc).
    For instance, I've set ssh traffic to priority 1 so that when I need to manage the hardware node via SSH, even if traffic is heavy, I always get low latencies.
    SMTP and POP traffic are then next on priority, since everyone's emails are always urgent.
    etc.
    Roy Lee
    ConceptLane Pte Ltd

Getting priority to the traffic would just be expanding the bandwidth channel with a lower speed. But like I said the server lags even with 5 people and sometimes not even with 30 people.
    Its random so that won't make any difference .

Another thing you need to do is to get a traceroute as soon as you face the lag.
    Otherwise we'll all be just guessing.
    Roy Lee
    ConceptLane Pte Ltd

Its so sudden and for a very little amount of time.
    That trace-route is almost impossible for catching it .
    It could be something with the company also but it shouldn't be as its 1 of the best in its business and reliable .

It could more over be the same problem I mentioned in my 1st post above.
    Like someone downloading and something needs to be done for reserving it .
    But as I am not a Network person so I am unsure about such things. That's why I came here.

Its just something basic with the network supply and not even related with bandwidth lowering and priority to traffic as My windows VPS is running good and can allocate people easily without any lag . And it may also be due to Bandwidth reserve in Windows or virtual ports . But like I said I am unsure.
    Last edited by AsadMoeen; 08-14-2009 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Mistake

I think you need to try digging a little deeper and trying to pinpoint where the problem is. Take a look at this and do some research on some of the tools mentioned here. You can keep some of these running on your system in a terminal and take a quick look whenever you hit the lag issue see if anything stands out.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-p...shoot-problem/

Yea.

I would surely check out those commands for the VPS resources being used . And I am becoming a WHT fan lol Its truly providing more help and support than anyone else .

But for me, It is not something that occurs due to less resources in a VPS rather its just related to the network supply . Because I have ample resources freely available on it .

Like my Windows VPS is working better . Had few issues with it before but after complaining they have fixed it and no Lag .
    Also I have started using Connect Switch German VPS which is also working good apparently uptil now from 2-3 days and I think it will work good in future also . I hope

But the one with Santrex is causing such issues.
    The company is good so it shouldn't be causing it but you never know lol . And it lags so hard these days . It worked better before but now its getting even bad and doesn't even let above 5 people on it now lol . And I forgot to tell that on Santrex, I have unlimited Bandwidth. Santrex is basically an ISP so they can afford it and in that regard their network should be the best.

However,

This is a command for someone to check,

-bash-3.2# cat /proc/user_beancounters
    Version: 2.5
    uid resource held maxheld barrier limit failcnt
    5510: kmemsize 3481916 5588333 2147483646 2147483646 0
    lockedpages 0 0 100 100 0
    privvmpages 64699 98198 98304 98304 8
    shmpages 740 1441 49152 49152 0
    dummy 0 0 0 0 0
    numproc 23 50 100 100 0
    physpages 46461 56102 0 2147483647 0
    vmguarpages 0 0 49152 2147483647 0
    oomguarpages 46461 56102 49152 2147483647 0
    numtcpsock 11 27 800 800 0
    numflock 1 5 100 100 0
    numpty 3 3 50 50 0
    numsiginfo 0 18 100 100 0
    tcpsndbuf 194512 460688 40265728 43542528 0
    tcprcvbuf 180224 1609664 40265728 43542528 0
    othersockbuf 78096 200992 40265728 43542528 0
    dgramrcvbuf 0 602784 40265728 43542528 0
    numothersock 43 53 800 800 0
    dcachesize 0 0 921600 921600 0
    numfile 827 1322 2400 2400 0
    dummy 0 0 0 0 0
    dummy 0 0 0 0 0
    dummy 0 0 0 0 0
    numiptent 14 14 100 100 0

And also would "yum update" make anything better ?

I seriously doubt that yum update will make anything better..

It is also kind of surprising that a 100mb port would be used up so much by someone else downloading to cause you noticeable lag like that. Linux is pretty good at sharing resources and a single download from someone else on the server shouldn't be affecting you that much. Are you sure it's network lag and not other resources lagging? There really isn't much of a way to tell this though from your level, since only your VPS provider can see the real load on the server. Your VPS could be showing 10% load and seem fine while in reality the main dedi is under 800% load due to other things outside of your VPS container. This is where it becomes important to pick a good provider that doesn't oversell their servers, which means you can't pick the lowest priced providers (not saying you did, just saying in general).

Other than that, the traffic shaping/limiting policies that ConceptLane mentioned previously is going to be the best way to make sure your VPS is getting good network performance, just don't forget this is only one piece of the puzzle and most VPS providers probably aren't going to be willing to do this or won't know how.

Another option is to get a VPS with a 1Gbps network port We haven't seen a single download fill our 1Gbps network port servers yet (although we have seen close to it once or twice), so that's another way to eliminate that possbility.

Oh, I also forgot to mention that your /proc/user_beancounters is showing some failures on the privvmpages, which indicates that some application didn't get the memory it tried to allocate, so you might be having some issue there too.

Yes.

It is a network lag.
    Everything from this end is fine.
    Just rechecked the resources and on an average it is just like 5-10 % being used. It could be something in the main node. Like a bad connection of the company or some firewall etc settings on the main node which maybe causing it . Most of them just share the network and that could be a problem without allocating any kind of ports or a guaranteed network speed.

Just talked to Ganesh Rao from Infinitetech.eu .
    And he told that they guarantee and minimum 10 mbps network speed and which is usually on burst at 100 mbps . So that could be a better choice. And it could be a company side problem .

Dedicated is always the best choice and if a VPS then surely from a trusted one . Cuz these kind of problems have been occuring off and on from different companies. Sometimes it even works fine for 1-2 days and lags the 3rd day.

While VPS is not getting accessed in that time so its surely something external from the network to it on the main node .

And it is surely more load and overselling.

You know that it's in ConnectSwitch's TOS that you're not allowed to run Game Servers on their VPS'? If you were on the same UK node as me, I would have probably blamed the slow loading times of my website on you if you were running game servers :p

Your problem about it being good one or two days then lagging the next all depends on the other users on the node, depends what they're running, whether they're having a heavy day of traffic or what. It just depends a lot on other people
    NetHosted Ltd. - UK Based Web Hosting
    Like us on Facebook!

It could also be the kernel task scheduler. It's fair but not unfair enough to give a game task its extra share of needed cpu time.

Regards
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    [ cPanel Varnish Nginx Plugin ] - Enhance LiteSpeed and Apache Performance
    www.unixy.net - Los Angeles | Houston | Atlanta | Rotterdam
    Love to help pro bono (time permitting). joe > unixy.net