best way to do this?

Well I have a 512mb ram centos vps and I need to upload 20gb of files to a website which would take me weeks. so what I was thinking is to do it with my vps. I have only access to ssh and I will need to install a gui and a browser, what would be the best way to handle this?
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.

Quote Originally Posted by darkeden View Post
    Well I have a 512mb ram centos vps and I need to upload 20gb of files to a website which would take me weeks. so what I was thinking is to do it with my vps. I have only access to ssh and I will need to install a gui and a browser, what would be the best way to handle this?

tar -jcvf compressfile.tar.bz2 /your-20-gb-directory/

you will get compressfile.tar.bz2 one file and then upload single file i am sure u have alot size reduce by using above method after uploading complete extract the file and move files where you required.

tar -jxvf compressfile.tar.bz2

Quote Originally Posted by nomankhn View Post
    tar -jcvf compressfile.tar.bz2 /your-20-gb-directory/

you will get compressfile.tar.bz2 one file and then upload single file i am sure u have alot size reduce by using above method after uploading complete extract the file and move files where you required.

tar -jxvf compressfile.tar.bz2
    well where I need to upload it requires a file to be uploaded from a browser like firefox chrome or ie. *its a upload site which I thought I could download the files that can be located online easily and then upload them to the site I want with the vps. Sorry if this sounds confusing.

Well. I am working with someone and we are transfering files 20gb in size back and fourth. our download speeds are fine for this but our uploads are not for when we make changes and upload it back online. thats why I wanted a gui so we could just work on it directly and upload it in a matter of minutes. but the website we upload to requires a browser.

well where I need to upload it requires a file to be uploaded from a browser like firefox chrome or ie. *its a upload site which I thought I could download the files that can be located online easily and then upload them to the site I want with the vps. Sorry if this sounds confusing.

upload to your ftp or your web directory as you have already dedicated server

Your VPS probably already has a browser installed - try "lynx" (at the shell prompt).

If it's not already installed, "yum install lynx" (or equivalent for other package managers) should find it. You might also want to restrict access (eg. set the /usr/bin/lynx binary root:wheel 750) since it's a popular target for exploit attempts.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Well. I am working with someone and we are transfering files 20gb in size back and fourth. our download speeds are fine for this but our uploads are not for when we make changes and upload it back online. thats why I wanted a gui so we could just work on it directly and upload it in a matter of minutes. but the website we upload to requires a browser.

OH, which hosting company is that?

The question I have is whether the files are already on your VPS? If they aren't then you're going to have to upload them anyway.

As mentioned, the CentOS box will normally have 'lynx' or 'links' installed. Otherwise, do a yum install for one.

I'm guessing you must be doing some testing or programming on Windows and then uploading the files back? Possibly buy a Windows VPS and do the work directly on the VPS?
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com

Quote Originally Posted by serverorigin View Post
    The question I have is whether the files are already on your VPS? If they aren't then you're going to have to upload them anyway.

As mentioned, the CentOS box will normally have 'lynx' or 'links' installed. Otherwise, do a yum install for one.

I'm guessing you must be doing some testing or programming on Windows and then uploading the files back? Possibly buy a Windows VPS and do the work directly on the VPS?
    thanks everyone Its all set up now from your suggestions. And some of the files are programming and the other files are just about 5gb in notes

Well I have a new question with this. I installed kde 3.5 etc and got it working but what would be a low resource browser to use with it. firefox spikes my load to about 1.0 and half my ram which isnt bad but the cpu is a bit high.

Well I have a new question with this. I installed kde 3.5 etc and got it working but what would be a low resource browser to use with it. firefox spikes my load to about 1.0 and half my ram which isnt bad but the cpu is a bit high.

well, you may use konqueror

I have been using the kde fine now with firefox but instead of making a new thread I thought I would post in the original I made....

I just type firefox in the ssh to launch it. but howcome my kde looks like this with no desktop? * picture attached* and konquer wont launch as there is no install link it says it is auto installed with kde but it fails to launch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kde issues.jpg  

I have been using the kde fine now with firefox but instead of making a new thread I thought I would post in the original I made....

I just type firefox in the ssh to launch it. but howcome my kde looks like this with no desktop? * picture attached* and konquer wont launch as there is no install link it says it is auto installed with kde but it fails to launch
    Hello,

its the part of kdebase not only kde, looks like your kde is not proper install, there are many packages you need to install for gnome and kde.

Anyway install -> yum install kdebase.

Hello,

its the part of kdebase not only kde, looks like your kde is not proper install, there are many packages you need to install for gnome and kde.

Anyway install -> yum install kdebase.
    Package 6:kdebase-3.5.4-19.el5.centos.1.i386 already installed and latest version

Package 6:kdebase-3.5.4-19.el5.centos.1.i386 already installed and latest version
    As i said earlier there are kde problem because as per screen shot, you need to install kde properly, so it will show proper desktop. then you can able to run application, there are others too.

some packages examples.

kdeaccessibility-3.5.4-1.fc6
    kdesdk-devel-3.5.4-3.el5
    kdewebdev-3.5.4-2.fc6
    kdebase-devel-3.5.4-19.el5
    kdebindings-3.5.4-6.el5
    kdeadmin-3.5.4-3.el5
    kdelibs-apidocs-3.5.4-18.el5
    kdenetwork-3.5.4-8.el5
    kdeartwork-3.5.4-1.fc6
    kdeutils-devel-3.5.4-5.fc6
    kdeartwork-icons-3.5.4-1.fc6
    kdelibs-devel-3.5.4-18.el5
    kdevelop-3.3.4-1.fc6
    kdebindings-devel-3.5.4-6.el5
    kdewebdev-devel-3.5.4-2.fc6
    kdeutils-3.5.4-5.fc6
    kdenetwork-devel-3.5.4-8.el5
    kdesdk-3.5.4-3.el5
    kdelibs-3.5.4-18.el5
    kdebase-3.5.4-19.el5

you would be better with fluxbox rather then KDE

As i said earlier there are kde problem because as per screen shot, you need to install kde properly, so it will show proper desktop. then you can able to run application, there are others too.

some packages examples.

kdeaccessibility-3.5.4-1.fc6
    kdesdk-devel-3.5.4-3.el5
    kdewebdev-3.5.4-2.fc6
    kdebase-devel-3.5.4-19.el5
    kdebindings-3.5.4-6.el5
    kdeadmin-3.5.4-3.el5
    kdelibs-apidocs-3.5.4-18.el5
    kdenetwork-3.5.4-8.el5
    kdeartwork-3.5.4-1.fc6
    kdeutils-devel-3.5.4-5.fc6
    kdeartwork-icons-3.5.4-1.fc6
    kdelibs-devel-3.5.4-18.el5
    kdevelop-3.3.4-1.fc6
    kdebindings-devel-3.5.4-6.el5
    kdewebdev-devel-3.5.4-2.fc6
    kdeutils-3.5.4-5.fc6
    kdenetwork-devel-3.5.4-8.el5
    kdesdk-3.5.4-3.el5
    kdelibs-3.5.4-18.el5
    kdebase-3.5.4-19.el5
    I have all of these installed. worked fine on my other server weird.

I have all of these installed. worked fine on my other server weird.
    meh ill try again tomorrow..... it is getting laggy and jumpy anyways like im trying to run a centos on a 1mb ram server.