Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    171

    Question Transfer from Host to Host question

    Hello,

    how hard to transfer 10GB of files from one server to another ?
    I never tried such thing before how much time generally takes to complete this kind of transfer and what method do you use to move big amount of files ??

    thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    EVERYWHERE!!!!
    Posts
    587
    Does your current host use the cPanel hosting control panel? If so, choose a host that also uses cPanel and offers free website transfers.

    10 gigs will take a while to transfer.
    I'm part of the Chicago Breast Cancer 3 Day!
    Because Everyone Deserves a Lifetime.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Morocco
    Posts
    549
    Your best bet is to use rsync if you have SSH access on both servers, very reliable and fastest method

    Good luck
    RofyHost - Affordable Shared & Reseller Hosting Since 2003
    Proud Moroccan

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    North West England
    Posts
    612
    Either that, or see if your new host will transfer the files for you, that way they can do it direct from the server, rather than you having to download it to your local machine and then re-uploading it back to the new server.
    Regards,
    Leigh

    Host High - reliable UK hosting

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,882
    The first thing you should check is whether your new host will do a free migration for you or not. Most of them do Cpanel to Cpanel migration free of cost. And I am not too sure this is what the answer you are expecting. Or do you want just to know the methods and time needed to transfer that much data?

  6. #6
    Hello,

    That is right , That is the best way to migrate the huge data from server to server . It will be quite non risky while migrating the data with rsync option . its better than migrating the data from cpanel to cpanel.

    Quote Originally Posted by RofyHost View Post
    Your best bet is to use rsync if you have SSH access on both servers, very reliable and fastest method

    Good luck

  7. #7
    Ask to activate shell access to your old host and give IP address and correct SSH port number usually (22) to your new host. and ask them to transfer your account it will be transferd at high speed. right now I have transferd 45GB of data in 3 hrs.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    8
    I've seen providers who realize they are leaving be less willing to help migrate your data/site files away from their systems. In the event you are migrating from one hosting company to another you may have to deal with the transfer on your own. If you have cPanel or Plesk, it will make the backup and transfer a lot easier. Another option, and it's just as good but will taker more time is to FTP the files from your current host to your PC and then re upload. While your upload will take a significant amount of time, at lease you will have a backup of your data if you ever find yourself needing a copy. If you're knowledgeable enough to use SSH and have shell access on both sides, then site to site would defiantly save time.

    Hope this helps.

    <<Signature to be setup in your profile>>
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 08-17-2009 at 05:01 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill, Florida
    Posts
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by RobsonInc View Post
    I've seen providers who realize they are leaving be less willing to help migrate your data/site files away from their systems. In the event you are migrating from one hosting company to another you may have to deal with the transfer on your own. If you have cPanel or Plesk, it will make the backup and transfer a lot easier. Another option, and it's just as good but will taker more time is to FTP the files from your current host to your PC and then re upload. While your upload will take a significant amount of time, at lease you will have a backup of your data if you ever find yourself needing a copy. If you're knowledgeable enough to use SSH and have shell access on both sides, then site to site would defiantly save time.

    Hope this helps.

    <<Signature to be setup in your profile>>.
    If you need to do this, see if you can currently zip your files on the current server. Then download the zipped files. Check to make sure new host panel has extract function available, if yes upload zipped files and use the extractor on the panel.
    If not then you will have to unzip/extract each file onto your pc and upload. The amount of time this will take will depend on the FTP program you are using, the speed of your internet connection and a few other factors.

    good luck
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 08-17-2009 at 05:01 PM.
    "To see is to see a better way, to perceive any problem clearly is to begin to create its solution. All we need is the wisdom and patience to keep looking and the love to hold what we see up to the light of understanding." ---Laurence Boldt
    F.D.W. Hosting Co.

  10. #10

    One More option to move files

    There is one more option of moving files using curl/fopen server to server

    simple PHP implementation would be
    Code:
    if ($_GET[xfer]) {
    if ($_POST[from] == "") {
    print "You forgot to enter a url.";
    } else {
    copy("$_POST[from]", "$_POST[to]");
    $size = round((filesize($_POST[to])/1000000), 3);
    print "transfer complete.<br>
    <a><a href=\"$_POST[from]\">$_POST[from]</a><br>
    <a><a href=\"$_POST[to]\">$_POST[to]</a> : $size MB";
    }
    } else {
    print "<form action=\"$PHP_SELF?xfer=true\" method=post>
    from(http://): <input name=from><br>
    to(filename): <input name=to><br>
    <input type=submit value=\"transload\">";

  11. #11
    It will take you a lot of time. Try host that is using the same control panel as yours.

  12. #12
    it depends what system they are hosting on if it is posseble to transfer everyhting at a fast rate

    there are 2 ways to do , and i preffer the second way if it are only files and the first way if it is more then only files (like emails and stuff)

    the first way is to ask your provider to do it , in case of cpanel goes it realy good , they got a build in script for transfering and so far i dont got trouble with it

    then the second way is to make a backup of your files , store it into the www folder and get a script to take it from the http
    or , just donwload the backup to your hd and ftp it to the other side

    Greets From The Crasher

  13. #13
    Best solution is if you find a host with the same control panel, then have the host migrate your account over. Or any of the above methods would do the trick.
    JF Web Consulting - Professional Web Solutions
    Shared & Reseller Hosting
    www.jfwebconsulting.com

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,513
    Contact your new host they should be able to help out, even if they charge for the service its worth it!
    - Buying up websites, side-projects and companies - PM Me! -

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Posts
    1,349
    Quote Originally Posted by inversehost View Post
    There is one more option of moving files using curl/fopen server to server

    simple PHP implementation would be
    Code:
    if ($_GET[xfer]) {
    if ($_POST[from] == "") {
    print "You forgot to enter a url.";
    } else {
    copy("$_POST[from]", "$_POST[to]");
    $size = round((filesize($_POST[to])/1000000), 3);
    print "transfer complete.<br>
    <a><a href=\"$_POST[from]\">$_POST[from]</a><br>
    <a><a href=\"$_POST[to]\">$_POST[to]</a> : $size MB";
    }
    } else {
    print "<form action=\"$PHP_SELF?xfer=true\" method=post>
    from(http://): <input name=from><br>
    to(filename): <input name=to><br>
    <input type=submit value=\"transload\">";
    PHP scripts are prone to timing out. I think the default max execution time of a php script is 30 secs. He is going to have to increase that substantially if he is to transload 10gb.


  16. I would contact your host to ask for the best possibe time to transfer so as to avoid high server load
    Studyhost - Simple Web Hosting Solutions
    UK and USA cPanel Web Hosting
    99.9% Uptime Guarantee | 24/7 Support | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    Visit us at: studyhost.net

  17. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    16,087
    The best option is to find a provider that will do this for you - because they have the experience at large/strange transfers that can make or break a transfer.

    Failing that, there are numerous ways that you can go about it depending on the situation and what you have available to you.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

  18. #19
    Some control panels have built in migration utilities that enable you to move all your files with just a few clicks.

    There are some utilities that will let you migrate from one control panel to the other.

    Otherwise Rsync

    Peter

    www.getinspace.com

    Boutique Dedicated Servers, VPS and Managed Servers 877-711-HOST

Similar Threads

  1. I am shutting down my web host site and need to transfer my clients to another host
    By lexington in forum Other Web Hosting Related Offers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-26-2006, 07:55 AM
  2. Transfer from another Host question
    By ckieff in forum Hosting Software and Control Panels
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-17-2004, 03:57 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-28-2004, 01:32 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-24-2003, 04:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •