Domain Renew 10 Years!!

Hello every body;

Really i have a question about a trick for renewing a domain name for 10 years by the cheapest way

One of my clients have a transferred domain from GO Daddy to Network solutions and he is very satisfied with them

but his IT-Manager advised him to renew his domain for 10 years and really i don't know why but he said to me to save our ownership for the domain.

TILL NOW NO PROBLEM AS I THINK

but he want to make a trick to renew the domain with the cheapest way

he want to transfer the domain to ONLINE NIC which he own an account and renew the domain for 8 or 9 years then after 2 or 3 months transfer the domain again to Network solutions with expire date 2019 as the client want them

can he make that ? is that valid ?

thanks

If we're talking about .com domain names, they can only be renewed up to 9 years. That's been a sort of "technical rule" from day one.

If you do what that person said, you stand to lose both time and money.

you can renew for 10 years, I've done it with iceteks.com several years ago - but DONT transfer back to network solutions, just stick with the other provider.

In fact if it's on network solutions now, good luck even transfering away as they'll give you tons of trouble.

You'd only be saving $70, it's not worth it. Just keep it at network solutions. It'd be so much of a hassle to keep moving it.
    Jacob Wall - GetCloak.com

i suggest to do research about onlinenic before transfering the domain.
    -----------
    Asep

Quote Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
    you can renew for 10 years, I've done it with iceteks.com several years ago - but DONT transfer back to network solutions, just stick with the other provider.

In fact if it's on network solutions now, good luck even transfering away as they'll give you tons of trouble.
    General rule is you will only make your domain expire in 9 years, x months unless your domain is already expired. If you try to renew a domain for any amount of years that will make expire more than 10 years from when you are renewing it it will fail as the registry will only allow up to 10 years on a domain. The exceptions to this are when a registrar allows you to renew a domain past 10 years in its database and puts the time on the domain at a future date. Netsol had it so at one point customers could renew a domain for up to 100 years, as this is not possible they were just keeping the time in its database so they could add the years to the domain as needed. Now the issue with that is if you transfer a domain when it has not had all the time added to registry the domain you will lose that time.

Also another fact is if a domain cannot have a year added(as it would take expiration past 10 years) it cannot transfer to another registrar as all transfers add a year to a domain(so transfer would NACK). If they are thinking of renewing and then transferring make sure a full year can be added to the domain or it will be stuck where it is until a year can be added. So if the domain you have has been maxed out for years and you don't like your registrar you are stuck until you can add a year to the domain.

Also keep in mind domain renewals are done in yearly increments and you cannot add tell them make it expire 10 years from now(unless now was the actual expiration date), you can only have them add years to the domain to a point it does not exceed 10 years from now.

I would renew it for 8 years then when you want to move it back add 2 years.

I have done this on a two domain names that I owned since early 2000 just because I don't have to worry about it expiring or I have long term plans for the domain.

I'd get it transferred away from Network Solutions. Way too pricey over there, especially if you want to add several years to it... you'll be throwing away money. You'll be saving a lot more than $70 if you leave Network Solutions... I think they charge like $30/year for renewals.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikAndre View Post
    I'd get it transferred away from Network Solutions. Way too pricey over there, especially if you want to add several years to it... you'll be throwing away money. You'll be saving a lot more than $70 if you leave Network Solutions... I think they charge like $30/year for renewals.

I agree, I believe they are charging 34.99yr for renewals and registration

Quote Originally Posted by Storm911 View Post
    Hello every body;

Really i have a question about a trick for renewing a domain name for 10 years by the cheapest way

One of my clients have a transferred domain from GO Daddy to Network solutions and he is very satisfied with them

but his IT-Manager advised him to renew his domain for 10 years and really i don't know why but he said to me to save our ownership for the domain.

TILL NOW NO PROBLEM AS I THINK

but he want to make a trick to renew the domain with the cheapest way

he want to transfer the domain to ONLINE NIC which he own an account and renew the domain for 8 or 9 years then after 2 or 3 months transfer the domain again to Network solutions with expire date 2019 as the client want them

can he make that ? is that valid ?

thanks
    Stay away from OnlineNIC for now. Verizon has launched a frivolous lawsuit against them (like they have many other companies) and god only know what will happen thanks to the incompetent legal system involved.
    Cpanel/WHM PHP Perl Ruby Full Time Support
    LCWSoft - Canada web hosting (based in Newfoundland) since 2007
    Servers based in the US and Canada (Uptime Report)

Just to clarify:

It is not possible to renew a .com domain for 10 years at the registry.

What happens is that either:

1. The registrar renews for 9 years and then adds anothe ryear when this is possible.

or

2. The domain is renewed after it has already expired, when it is in the registrar created grace period (which is created by renewing it for one year at the registry and then dropping it within 45 days if the domain owner does not renew). In this situation the registrar can renew for 9 years on top of the 1 year they have already renewed for.

Its slightly complicated, but registrars can use the registry systems to make logical things like a round 10 year renewal possible, even when technically it is not.
    Formerly: Managing Director, Hostroute.com Ltd & Marketing Director, Ultraspeed UK Ltd
    View my Professional Profile: www.gordonhudson.com

HOPE

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zan View Post
    If we're talking about .com domain names, they can only be renewed up to 9 years. That's been a sort of "technical rule" from day one.

If you do what that person said, you stand to lose both time and money.
    In fact if it's on network solutions now, good luck even transfering away as they'll give you tons of trouble

Network Solution prices

I called Network Solutions once about transferring a domain out. After one transfer in customer support and five minutes my domain pricing went down to $8.00 per domain. Do that and than renew for 9 or 10 years.
    Best site hosting -
    Looking for affordable Canadian based hosting - PM me any suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by larwilliams View Post
    Stay away from OnlineNIC for now. Verizon has launched a frivolous lawsuit against them (like they have many other companies) and god only know what will happen thanks to the incompetent legal system involved.
    OnlineNIC being sued by verizon....now that is a news !
    They are truely incompetent with regards to domain system !

Quote Originally Posted by thebutler View Post
    I called Network Solutions once about transferring a domain out. After one transfer in customer support and five minutes my domain pricing went down to $8.00 per domain. Do that and than renew for 9 or 10 years.
    Yeah some registrars will do that to try and keep business but if you ever let it saferenew(autorenew) it will be for full price. Don't think about negotiating the price to get it lower at that point as they will try and play the "you cannot cancel your renewal as it will go on hold and then you cannot transfer the domain". This is not true and if you complain they will take off of hold and allow you to transfer. If it were me I would be happy to transfer away from netsol.

Sounds incrediable, renew domain of more than ten years??

I am kinda of confused.I had thought it will be expired automatically.

I know for a fact if you try to transfer a domain away from NSI, NSI will contact you and offer you a lower price. The lower price still cost more than many of these providers, but at lease you know your domains are secured.

I would only put my expensive domains at NSI, the rest I would use enom or resellerclub.