Spamming? Insanely hi number of Webalizer Referrers

I'm looking at my stats for August, so far, and at the top of the webalizer list of referrers is a site in Hong Kong that ends .com.hk/viewthread.php with 60,171 hits. What the heck is that about? In fact, 6 of the top 7 referrers are different pages from the same site. (I didn't type the entire url here because I do not know what the effect might be) I did go there myself and found it was written in Chinese.

Honestly, my site normally gets a minute fraction of that many hits. The first legitimate referrer totals 331 hits.

I've noticed this same kind of thing with other of my subdomains as well. I suspect some kind of spamming operation is going on, but what can I do about it?

If you know anything about this kind of thing, I'd appreciate hearing from you. And, if this is the wrong forum, I apologize for that. BTW, my host is hostgator and for my needs they're great.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here but if you are concerned, you can always block the IP in cPanel using the IP Deny Manager.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by db09 View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong here but if you are concerned, you can always block the IP in cPanel using the IP Deny Manager.

Dave

If you do not want people coming from the link at that site you will need to address this via referer and not IP (which would be the user IP and could vary widely).

So in .htaccess you would need something like:

Code:
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} thedomaininquestion\.com [NC]
    RewriteRule .* - [F]

What they are trying to do is gain a referral link from your website.

Some websites publish the sites that send them the most traffic. So by sending you 60k fake hits, they are hoping to be listed on your website as number 1.

I'm willing to bet they have a bot going around hitting up every website it can find with fake hits in attempt to gain a linking position on random websites.

While only a fraction of the websites out there have this feature enabled, eventually they will find them. So im sure that software gets them a few inbound links every day.
    Download my eBook + Videos: Starting your own successful web hosting company.
    Learn from a web host with 7 years of experience.

Thanks for all your responses. I'm going to check out the cpanel for "access denied." tcstatic, sorry but that's a little over my head. And, dbbrock1, if they are looking for a referral link, I'm glad I didn't give them one here. lol Later...

Okay, I went to the cpanel and clicked on the IP Deny Manager and entered the domain of the offending site. Hopefully, this will work. Of course, I suspect all those sales emanating from Hong Kong will now dissipate.

Quote Originally Posted by acedotcom View Post
    Okay, I went to the cpanel and clicked on the IP Deny Manager and entered the domain of the offending site. Hopefully, this will work. Of course, I suspect all those sales emanating from Hong Kong will now dissipate.

Wait, you were actually getting sales from it?
    Download my eBook + Videos: Starting your own successful web hosting company.
    Learn from a web host with 7 years of experience.

such large hits can be anything, but also could be hack attacks.

1- password protect your folder with your stats so they get nothing from it.
    2- look in your logs (or logwatch) or whatever you use to see what they were accessing.
    3- ips can be spoofed, as can anything in a request header.

lots of hack attacks involve pounding out a form for possible issues that can make it vulnerable. And user/pass combos too.

Your logs can really tell you what is going on and you should check it out.

Just kidding about the sales. I'll check out those logs tomorrow. Thanks again.