Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Dream VPS?

Your Dream VPS?

Hey Guys/Gals,

Just wondering what features would you be looking at for your dream vps say under £15/month.

E.g, FTP Backup, IP's etc etc

Best,
    SIP Trunking and VoIP Lines, Numbering (DIDs and DDIs), Low Cost Minute add-ons, Secure SIP and VoIP. Business and Enterprise Grade Quality, Low Cost and Highly Competitive. Available at: https://www.voipyonder.com/

Definitely storage/bandwidth/ram are the top 3 components for most users that are fairly experienced, but i think most importantly it is speed/reliability of the VPS & Network
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

1. Excellent Service
    2. Quality Support with reasonable response times
    3. Solid Customer Service
    4. Reasonable Resources for the price point

I would like to see larger hard drive space offered, currently bandwidth and ram are fine.

I personally prefer getting more RAM instead of others.
    In2net Network Inc. ( www.in2net.com ) : Providing Service Since 1996!
    Quick Sales Response - info@in2net.com
    Virtual Private Servers : VPS Hosting - Ask us about our Managed Hosting services, too!
    30-Day MoneyBack Guarantee

Diskspace

uptime (hardware, network, infrastructure) is a must whether one's paying $1 or $1k. I personally don't care much about resources but it would nice to have an intelligent support crew.

Best
    Last edited by UNIXy; 08-13-2009 at 07:24 PM.
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    Server Management - Unlimited Servers. Unlimited Requests. One Plan!
    cPanel Varnish Plugin -- Seamless SSL Caching (Let's Encrypt, AutoSSL, etc)
    Slow Site or Server? Unable to handle traffic? Same day performance fix: joe@unixy

Quote Originally Posted by UNIXy View Post
    I personally don't care much about resources but it would nice to have a intelligent support crew.

Best
    Could not have said it better. In our case, when comes to the support staff at the datacenter.
    www.MyWinsVPS.com - Quality Engineered Linux/Windows 2003/2008 Dedicated VPS Provider - "VDS/VPS Setup AVAILABLE!!!"
    No Overloading of Machines, Dedicated Burstable Port Speeds, CPU, Ram, and HD - Now Offering Linux CentOS

Quote Originally Posted by MyWinsVPS View Post
    In our case, when comes to the support staff at the datacenter.
    Yeah that. You call in for a disk hot swap replacement, you get an accidental reboot and the wrong disk replaced! I've long decided to move in closer just to take care of emergencies myself and get my own staff in if I need to.
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    Server Management - Unlimited Servers. Unlimited Requests. One Plan!
    cPanel Varnish Plugin -- Seamless SSL Caching (Let's Encrypt, AutoSSL, etc)
    Slow Site or Server? Unable to handle traffic? Same day performance fix: joe@unixy

Good support and RAM over other things.

It's annoying when hosts charge a lot for RAM which really is a cheap one off purchase!

Quote Originally Posted by psmith98752 View Post
    Good support and RAM over other things.

It's annoying when hosts charge a lot for RAM which really is a cheap one off purchase!
    That is also my pet peeve.

ram & disk space
    Jacob Wall

RAM, uptime, & support. In order of importance.

I'm looking at Windows VPSs, and I know this is for Linux as its under £15 a month but for example, Windows really requries 1GB of RAM, could get away at a push with 512MB.

2GB of registered ECC memory is only £25. Why do hosts charge an extra £20 a month to upgrade from 1GB to 2GB of RAM, its just not on.

Bandwidth and RAM . And of course a good network.

- Daniel

For the provider selection, my choice would be: ( I would not buy 17 Euro VPS, but
    now that you asked for it)

Resources:
    Dedicated network speed (2 Mbps) , unlimited (within reasonable limits)
    Good network connections ( premium bandwidth, no el cheapo )
    300M RAM
    20GB HD
    0,5 GHz CPU dedicated

For 50 Euros, my preferred setup would be

Dedicated network speed 10 Mbps, unlimited (within reasonable limits)
    Good network connections ( premium bandwidth, no el cheapo )
    1024 MB
    60GB HD
    1,5 Ghz CPU dedicated

Preferably Xen VPS

- 100 GB of Ram
    - 100 TB of Storage
    - 24x7x365 unique mobile/cell number for my own direct access to the CEO
    - 150% Uptime (yeah, pay me back extra if I cant access my VPS, even if it's my own fault for not plugging my home network)
    - 10TB Dedicated bandwidth, unmetered

- $9.99 /month

ho yeah, I do want fries with that ...
    Carlos Rego
    OnApp CVO

The Cloud Engine

Different disc space/bandwidth ratio. Not 1:10, but 1:2, since I mostly use smaller VPS for private purposes (backups, SVN server, file server, etc.).

2GB of registered ECC memory is only £25. Why do hosts charge an extra £20 a month to upgrade from 1GB to 2GB of RAM, its just not on.
    You're not just paying for the extra physical RAM - you're paying for an equivalently larger proportion of the host node that your VPS is hosted on.

So if you have a host node with 16GB of RAM, you might put for example 15 x 1GB VPS on the node. Equivalently, you might only get 7 x 2GB VPS on that same node - therefore to maintain the profit margin, the host must charge 1.5-2x the price for a 1GB VPS. In most circumstances, with a RAM upgrade you'd get an equivalently larger share of CPU and extra disk space too.
    Darren Lingham - Stablepoint Hosting
    Stablepoint - Cloud Web Hosting without compromise
    We provide industry-leading cPanel™ web hosting in 80+ global cities.

Yes I do understand that however rather than having servers with 16GB of RAM, why not have 64GB RAM servers

Yes I do understand that however rather than having servers with 16GB of RAM, why not have 64GB RAM servers
    Imagine if that node went down with that amount of VPS's on it.

lets just do the math.

1024mb x 64 = 65536mb / 512mb ram server avg = 128 VPS's on that server.

Imagine if that went down????
    SIP Trunking and VoIP Lines, Numbering (DIDs and DDIs), Low Cost Minute add-ons, Secure SIP and VoIP. Business and Enterprise Grade Quality, Low Cost and Highly Competitive. Available at: https://www.voipyonder.com/

You'll hit IO bottlenecks well before you use 64gb of ram. Also, to get a node with 64gb of ram it'd be very expensive as they'd need to be 4gb or 8gb sticks.
    Jacob Wall

Quote Originally Posted by CymraegWalesHosting View Post
    Imagine if that node went down with that amount of VPS's on it.

lets just do the math.

1024mb x 64 = 65536mb / 512mb ram server avg = 128 VPS's on that server.

Imagine if that went down????
    Add to that that those 128 VPS share at most 8 CPU cores. That 16 VPS with 512MB RAM per core, meaning that, say a core is 2.4 Ghz on an Intel Xeon CPU, you get a stunning 0.15 Ghz each! That's 150 Mhz!

That's why I don't go with guys like GeekStorage or something. They mash a large number of users on a really oversold VPS node, which is quite large.

My dream VPS would cost a lot more than £15/month, closer to £30 (around USD 50).
    What's your budget?

Seriously, what's your budget?

1. Good network has to be #1 for me, I've had so much trouble with my host's network, that's the only thing that's caused actual downtime, as long as you have SSH access you can fix most things, but if the network goes down, you're stuck.

2. RAM - 512Mb is a minimum as far as I'm concerned, my VPS usually wanders around the 400Mb mark, if I had another VPS just for Email/SPAM/AV, then I could probably manage with less on the webserver/database VPS - might be an idea actually, hmmm.....

3. Fast support turnaround and good knowledge. Nothing more frustrating than having a problem that your host doesn't seem to be able to fix and takes ages doing, that's pretty much the main reason I've switched hosts before.

4. Enough privileges. root access is essential, iptables and clock access are pretty much too, plus some kernel access like via sysctl/proc, a terminal server is nice for when you accidently type 'iptables -F' over SSH

5. Backup. A complete backup of your VPS which could very quickly be moved to another host node is nice, OK you should backup your files, but I think VPS backup in case of disk failure is the responsibility of the host - as you can't really backup an entire VPS over SSH, you really want to write to the host node's drive.

6. More than one upstream ISP connection would be good too - I remember when I colo'd in London, some idiots put the network kit in the basement below water level next to the Thames river, so frequently you'd just be offlined.

7. If it was a colo not a VPS I'd strongly suggest you get a host with flexible physical access policy, the people I was with insisted you go with them to do something to your server, so they sat there drumming their fingers whilst you were trying to rebuild a RAID array off a dead drive. Also you've got to insist on free WiFi inside the DC, its saved my arse a couple of times when I've left a file at home or forgotten the syntax for mdadm.

Disk space I'm not so fussed on, hell I'm not even using 2Gb currently, but you want to make sure the host node isn't being oversold so the disk fills up - no good having gigs of space allocated if it doesn't actually exist on the host. Bandwidth I'm not using much either. But its all really down to what you're going to be doing with the VPS.

Wide choice of OS is good, I'd go mental if I was stuck with SuSE or something, plus why don't a lot of hosts have 64-Bit versions, you're not all using Pentium4's surely? Although I don't understand why people are using consumer-grade Core2Quads instead of Xeons (cost I guess).
    Last edited by sej7278; 08-15-2009 at 10:44 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast