Xen and Atom Server

I know this is a crazy question, but....

Is it possible to run Xen on a dual-core atom server? I was interested in trying out Xen. I realize that selling VPS systems would require much, much higher end hardware, but for goofing around, is it technically possible to make this work?

Yeh sure "technically" it works on a P4 and I have installed before for a test system.
    But it would not ever work for a production environment to my knowledge.
    Although I have never touched an atom so could also be wrong.
    - Buying up websites, side-projects and companies - PM Me! -

Should work but like almost anything run on these Atoms you're not going to look at any type of performance that could be considered "quick" let alone fast.

Yeah this should work without a problem for testing and such. I have a few Atom servers and they can handle quite a bit. They are also hyperthreaded so it looks like it is a 4 core system.

Keep in mind that when it comes to Intel Atoms depending on the motherboard you are using you may have a lot of network issues unless you upgrade a 2.6.30.x Linux kernel. And as for performance, I think that people really underestimate the Atom's potential (I know I did until I hit over 1000 active cPanel accounts on my server).
    -Joe @ Secure Dragon LLC.
    + OpenVZ Powered by Wyvern | KVM | cPanel Hosting | Backup VPSs | LowEndBoxes | DDOS Protection
    + Florida | Colorado | Illinois | California | Oregon | Georgia | New Jersey | Arizona | Texas

Don't expect to run any HVM guests. Paravirtualized guests should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by UnixCabin View Post
    Don't expect to run any HVM guests. Paravirtualized guests should be fine.
    Yup, that's the big thing. Atoms are a lot faster than most people realize - but they do not have hardware virtualization support (although the next generation are supposed to!)
    Seattle, WA - Gigabit Carrier & Network Services Provider
    Uptime | Atlas Networks

Quote Originally Posted by atlasnetworkseric View Post
    Yup, that's the big thing. Atoms are a lot faster than most people realize - but they do not have hardware virtualization support (although the next generation are supposed to!)
    The Atom 230 (1.6Ghz single core with Hyper Threading) in my netbook has Intel VT. To the OP Xen will work on your atom server, I have had 3 ubuntu vms running in virtualbox but it was really slow.

Quote Originally Posted by jtg1993 View Post
    The Atom 230 (1.6Ghz single core with Hyper Threading) in my netbook has Intel VT. To the OP Xen will work on your atom server, I have had 3 ubuntu vms running in virtualbox but it was really slow.
    Odd - the N270 in my Eepc 910 does not have that feature. Nor do, I believe, the 330 dual cores.
    Seattle, WA - Gigabit Carrier & Network Services Provider
    Uptime | Atlas Networks

Quote Originally Posted by atlasnetworkseric View Post
    Odd - the N270 in my Eepc 910 does not have that feature. Nor do, I believe, the 330 dual cores.
    Weird, Intel's site says the N230, N270, N330 all don't have VT but when I had Virtualbox on my netbook it allowed me to enable it. But disregard what I said about them having VT because I was mistaken.

You should be fine running it on an atom. You can make it run on basically any modern PC (by modern I mean at least 1.6ghz).

I agree and as mentioned, it will show as 4 cores. Pretty powerful little processors. Problem is the usual memory limitations on some of the ATOM pre-built configurations. Lots of times, they have a 2GB limitations on the motherboard they are bundling with them. I don't think that applies to the 230.
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com

does atom processor have limitation on how much memory they can have? can you have say 8GB of RAM on atom based computer?
    HalfDedi.com Half Dedicated Half Price
    We provide affordable VPS hosting solution Singapore datacenter

No. Depends on the motherboard it's coupled with.
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com