Why, oh why, Adobe?

For years I've used Fireworks to create navigational element for sites. I've used it since v1.x, and knew my way around it quite well. To make a two state button, you make the off version, copy the 'frames' and change it within that second frame; slice, export, done.

FW CS4 has "states" instead of "frames". Same basic idea, one would think. No, it behaves entirely differently, causing me a long period of teeth gnashing. No local docs, only that stupid shift to on line only that takes ages to find what you need. I finally puzzle out that they've made it more like PS, where it will only behave as before if each element is on it's own layer, and that can't be the default 'background' layer it starts you on. If it is, any change to that object is changed on every "state", no matter what state is active when you change it.
    -bleh-

Then there's Flash CS4.
    I don't work much in there, usually only occasionally making slideshow type movies, where one image fades into another. Simple: load images into layers, convert to symbols, set keyframes, then on the last keyframe set alpha to 0 and so on. Right click within and create "motion tween".
    Nope. Different.
    First, it was difficult to find the alpha setting for the object, as they have 'workspaces' and not every one has it, apparently. Then once that's found, it's not "create motion tween" with the choice of what sort in the following dialog...it's an entirely different menu choice now.
    Damn you, Adobe. Stop totally overhauling work software interfaces in the name of progress! You don't have to change it completely to justify a new license...
    </rant>

Just lost something like half a day to this.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

I hate change too, although I'm sure in one way or the other it's for the best. Look at George Bush when he joined the White House ... he was new and look at all the good he did (not ..) hehe

I saw a few useful guides on google for animating but they're sometimes just as useless as trying to do it yourself with none of the software knowledge!
    DesignBear.com
    View Portfolio

A trusted WHT member for over 7 years!

Argh, I was thinking about upgrading my Flash as I heard CS4 supposedly incorporates some new 3D utilities which would probably make my type of animating much easier. If they messed around with too much of the UI then I'm not sure how I'd want to go...
    || Higher Intellect || Half a million documents and climbing.
    || OMGWTFBBQ || Nothing of value here.

The UI can be changed to mimic how it used to be in previous versions, but takes quite a bit of messing around.
    DesignBear.com
    View Portfolio

A trusted WHT member for over 7 years!

I think they may bind fireworks into photoshop pretty soon.

I ant say I use flash much now as I hate it... Never have liked the interface. Anything movie wise I do in After Effects.
    Rob - Creative Director
    Peartree Digital Media Solutions & Peartree Hosting Department.
    Providing a range of services from graphic design and XHTML coding to web hosting, VPS and dedicated servers.
    My views and opinions are my own and in no way do they represent the company I work for...

stop upgrading software.

(I still use PhotoImpact 6.)
    Last edited by CD Burnt; 08-12-2009 at 03:50 PM.