Software Recommendation

Alright. I was wondering if anyone knew of a program that would let everyone in an office network (3-5 computers) work on a file where they are constantly adding and sharing notes with each other based on what they do. It would automatically update if another person edits it and the other person is on the same file. Does anyone know of such a program? Please let me know.

Thanks.
    “Intelligence is not to make no mistakes, but quickly to see how to make them good.” - Bertolt Brecht

Well Microsoft Excel allows for changes at the same time on various computers and prompts if there is a CONFLICT. But thats for Spread Sheets.

For normal files, never heard of it.
    Softaculous - Auto Installer for cPanel, Direct Admin, InterWorx, Plesk, H-Sphere
    The only Auto Installer that installs 260+ scripts. Install in just ONE STEP!
    Virtualizor - VPS Control Panel supporting OpenVZ, Xen, KVM and has 60+ OS Templates
    Webuzo - Softaculous for the Cloud i.e. Softaculous Standalone

Really? So if there is a conflict, will it allow the changes to be transitioned to the other person's computer and save both changes / update at the same time?

Because we would preferably want to do this through excel.
    “Intelligence is not to make no mistakes, but quickly to see how to make them good.” - Bertolt Brecht

Yes.
    But only one change is saved.
    The other person is asked that there are changes and thus a Conflict.
    If he accepts them they will remain.
    Softaculous - Auto Installer for cPanel, Direct Admin, InterWorx, Plesk, H-Sphere
    The only Auto Installer that installs 260+ scripts. Install in just ONE STEP!
    Virtualizor - VPS Control Panel supporting OpenVZ, Xen, KVM and has 60+ OS Templates
    Webuzo - Softaculous for the Cloud i.e. Softaculous Standalone

What about Google Docs? I've used it before and it could use some more features I always thought it was well put together and extremely easy to use. You can assigned e-mail address with different levels (some can change information some can not). Best of luck!
    We develop brand identity for the web.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Services ~ Custom Web Design, Branding & Identity, Development, Hosting & more!
    Portfolio ~ Websites, User Interfaces, Widgets & more!

Quote Originally Posted by The-Pixel View Post
    What about Google Docs? I've used it before and it could use some more features I always thought it was well put together and extremely easy to use. You can assigned e-mail address with different levels (some can change information some can not). Best of luck!
    I second a vote for Google Docs. We here at the office use it regularly to keep everyone notified of events/projects/vacations/etc.

It's very handy.

Google docs is "ok" but it can be buggy with the updates when you have more than one person at once changing lines. It will however mostly do what you asked for. There are also some paid services that offer this, hence the birth of SaaS.
    Greg Landis | Founder Jaguarpc - Keeping websites happy since 1998
    Managed IT Solutions - Business hosting | Virtual Private Servers | Cloud VPS Hosting | Dedicated servers | Backup service
    Follow us @ Facebook.com/Jaguarpc | Twitter: @JaguarPC | (888)-338-5261 | sales @ jaguarpc.com

You can do this with Microsoft Groove

Google Wave does exactly this, but it is not out yet. You should check it out, it is going to be the communication method of the future.