Angry I just shake my head...

Today - I got a new IP block assigned to our VPS server so that I can get a new cPanel VPS setup to migrate a customer.

There was some problems with the IP range which a level 1 tried to troubleshoot. I explained it to him that it was CRITICAL that it not go offline as I had live VM's running. He tells me he is initiating a ticket to the senior engineers and next thing - server is offline.

I asked him what is going on - he said engineers are working on it and I flipped. Why is it when you tell people not to take it offline they completely disregard anything you say.

In my business - this stuff is scheduled not just pulled offline without regard.

I am just lit like a Christmas tree right now.
    Jason (JC) Morris, Vice President - Technology
    TechWest Hosting - Enterprise Plesk & cPanel Hosting Since 2003!
    Shared & Reseller Hosting on Dell Quad Core 5420 Servers w/ RAID 10 in Multiple Datacenters!
    Ruby on Rails, FFMPEG, Fantastico, RVSiteBuilder, RVSkins, Nightly Off-site Backups, Clustered DNS!

You can try to call them and ask them why this happened.

I'm on ignore right now...

Now I got customers phoning...

Lovely...
    Shared & Reseller Hosting on Dell Quad Core 5420 Servers w/ RAID 10 in Multiple Datacenters!
    Ruby on Rails, FFMPEG, Fantastico, RVSiteBuilder, RVSkins, Nightly Off-site Backups, Clustered DNS!

Jason,

That sucks. It always seems to happen at the worse possible times. Put your customers first and then be sure to speak to an account representative and/or someone higher up. Remain calm and just explain your situation.

I'd personally be tossing you some form of freebie for the inconvenience... however not many companies work the way I do. My daddy says I'm too nice

You know it's bad when people PM you here asking how long the outage is.

I feel terrible and can't understand why they would do this - it just floors me despite me telling them very specifically not to touch it.

I know it needs to to be fixed, but let's schedule an outage - not just do it without consideration of me or my customers.

I'll be escalating this to the GM @ HiVelocity.

Routing a new IP block should not cause a server to go down unless something was done completely wrong and they ended up hosing the VLAN.

Good luck getting it straightened out.

Several months ago we had a similar issue and it ended up being the provider had forgotten a dot or something somewhere. Took a while for them to find the issue.
    Daniel | Server Complete, LLC
    Windows VPS // Dedicated Servers // Backup Services
    Wholly owned hardware and self operated network (AS19531) in Jacksonville, FL

I agree - it should never be a problem.

It's just really frustrating that they took the server offline despite me asking them not to.

If it needs an outage window to resolve the issue, fine - then we will schedule an "Emergency Outage".

Oh well, just want it back on line...

Dude that sucks oh well no company can satisfy everyone. Maybe offer an incentive maybe of some sort?
    Alex Fuller | Creative Director / Owner
    Extremely experienced, with 5 years service to WHT community.
    LegitDesigns, LLC - Professional Web Design Company

Okay - we're back.

Thanks very much to Mark for working through this at HV.

Your patience was great and I appreciate all the effort!

Well, glad you're back up and your customers aren't screaming at you right now

IP's assigned today still don't work...

I just hang my head and shake it silly...

Why me, why me?

It has to be a case of they tried what should be a non-invasive change and something was done incorrectly so they backed it out. Thats why they probably didn't think to schedule it. I have to admit I am not sure I would have scheduled an IP address addition as it is 99.999% of the time a non issue.
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

Quote Originally Posted by A Grateful Dad View Post
    IP's assigned today still don't work...

I just hang my head and shake it silly...

Why me, why me?
    What IP Range did they assign you by chance, We were given a range that just wouldnt work after being assigned to VM's. We ended up asking for more on the same range we were initially given. Took quite a while just to get some IP's.

I'm on ignore right now...

Now I got customers phoning...

Lovely...
    This does not help your situation but we have all been there, unfortunately. Just hang in there and hold your ground. Don't let them ignore you. Best of luck!
    We develop brand identity for the web.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Services ~ Custom Web Design, Branding & Identity, Development, Hosting & more!
    Portfolio ~ Websites, User Interfaces, Widgets & more!

Wow that doesnt sound like a good day.

Today - I got a new IP block assigned to our VPS server so that I can get a new cPanel VPS setup to migrate a customer.

There was some problems with the IP range which a level 1 tried to troubleshoot. I explained it to him that it was CRITICAL that it not go offline as I had live VM's running. He tells me he is initiating a ticket to the senior engineers and next thing - server is offline.

I asked him what is going on - he said engineers are working on it and I flipped. Why is it when you tell people not to take it offline they completely disregard anything you say.

In my business - this stuff is scheduled not just pulled offline without regard.

I am just lit like a Christmas tree right now.
    I am very sorry for the problems you experienced last night. The trouble ticket that is opened on the situation has not had a reply from you in 13 hours. We are standing by to assist if you need us. I sent you a PM first this morning but have not heard back. Please get back to us so we can get this situation resolved and I can make this right for you.
    Last edited by hivelocitygm; 08-12-2009 at 01:21 PM.
    Steve Eschweiler- Hivelocity- Director of Operations
    Bare Metal Servers. Colocation. Private Cloud.
    Customers in over 130 countries. Privately owned and operated data centers.
    Limited Supply Outlet Server Specials

Sometime in your course of business your going to experience problems, and often there won't be much you can do about it. How you and your providers handle it will be what determines who succeeds and who doesn't. Hivelocity seem to be willing to make it right and help, that's honorable of them. They don't have a reputation for leaving clients high and dry.
    Greg Landis | Founder Jaguarpc - Keeping websites happy since 1998
    Managed IT Solutions - Business hosting | Virtual Private Servers | Cloud VPS Hosting | Dedicated servers | Backup service
    Follow us @ Facebook.com/Jaguarpc | Twitter: @JaguarPC | (888)-338-5261 | sales @ jaguarpc.com

Absolutely - I have spoken with Steve (do apologize about the delay but I was busy with the kids and I had to visit a client today).

Steve knows of the situation and of course wants to understand the course of event from last night with the tech that ultimately owned the ticket.

My frustration comes from telling someone NOT to do something and they did it anyways and then I get blamed for a making a change I clearly did not make as evident by the "history" command.

I am working with Steve right now to straighten things out and he has been more than receptive to our situation.

I am glad to see that things have been straightened out with Hivelocity, and wish you the best of luck
    Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Limited
    VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
    vBulletin / XenForo Hosting and Services
    Server / Website Consultation

So - I just wanted to post the update to this thread.

Steve took ownership of the ticket yesterday and got all sides of the story according to the list of events.

In the end - Steve and I worked out something that I was not only satisfied with, but really gives me a good insight to the way that HV does value the business relationships they have with customers.

I wanted to personally thank Steve for his attention to detail and ensure this thread was updated appropriately with the outcome.