Radio Station Site.

I just got an account for a radio station and I was just wanting everyone's opinion about what kind of scripting I should use, it can be java, php, asp, whatever, I haven't actually started developing it yet so I'll base it off this script because it is so important.

It's a small-market station that wants to display what is on the air on the web site. Now the trick here is that there are like a hundred different things each day and different every day.

Just to give you an example. Between the hours of 6am to 10. They want /Alan when there isn't anything else going on.
    But @ 6:00 to 6:03 NEWS
    6:03 - 6:05 Alan
    6:05 - 6:07 Agribusiness News
    6:07 - 6:30 Alan
    6:30 - 6:35 Hog Report
    6:35 - 7:00 Alan
    7:00 - 7:03 News.

Something like that, but it goes on like that throughout the whole day!! What' the best way to tackle this?

Thanks.

Sounds like a pretty easy job ... language shouldn't really matter.

From what I've gathered and you said, it is indeed a small radio station and because of that performance won't be that big of an issue.

What would I personally use? VB.net for Windows, PHP for anything other sort of server.

If you don't know VB.net use regular ole' ASP.

May be http://www.shoutcast.com/

It takes a lot of bandwidth.

Venkman,

Do you have what is upcoming on your playlist in any type of database or is it only on paper?

The first thing would be to stick your list into a database that is update very often regarding your busy schedule.

Then use a programming language to query the database and display what's happening in regards to your station

Bulldog, ASP.NET seems like overkill for this, don't you think?

PHP with MySQL or even ASP and an Access database would probably be fine depening on the scope of the project.

If you need some help, just contact me

Enjoy!

Absolutely correct Tower, it seems like a fairly simple, small and straightfoward project.

Thus if you wanted to you could literally use any language you know

use colbalt!!
    John Trovato
    In Office Networks, LLC
    Programmer, Cisco Network Engineer, Roofer, Biochemist, and Conductor.

Just kidding...

It doesn't seem that simple, for one reason. Does this site need to be real time. In other words does it have to show the song as it is playing? or just a song list of what was played in the hour?

John

me like php/mysql
    John Trovato
    In Office Networks, LLC
    Programmer, Cisco Network Engineer, Roofer, Biochemist, and Conductor.

ASP w/ Database.
    Last edited by NodeHost; 11-12-2002 at 11:39 AM.

If the streaming is live, and you use shoutcast - shoutcast produces a page with the current stream title, this couild be used on the site if you dont want to keep a database maintained. The "whos on now" would update realtime from the title sent to the stream from the source, this is how i used to run one
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

This is an actual broadcast station, no streaming audio, I just want a script to modify so at certian times of the day, on different days, It will show what is scheduled to be on the air.

thanks.

Ahh thats pretty easy think its been suggested above but i would do the following.

Setup a MySQL database with your daily schedules. (by time)
    Then have the php on your website pick out the correct day and time and display the show.

You will need to keep the database upto date in order for this to work well. If your schedule doesnt change too often then you will be fine.
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.