Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* Hosting review sites are all BS

Everyone knows that web hosting review sites are biased because of the affiliate commissions the owner is seeking...but that is not what I am addressing here.

What's with all the good reviews?
    Something has been really making me wonder about the legitimacy of a lot of the user submitted reviews on web hosting review sites. Some of the most popular companies have close to a 50:50 positive to negative review ratio on most of these review sites.

So I made my own web hosting review site.
    I was curious about the whole idea of a web hosting review site about a year back so I made one just to see what all the fuss is about. I just logged in to check my comments...and every single review that people submitted where bad reviews. Not one single good one.

So my question is, how do all these companies have such an even ratio of good to bad reviews? Are they hiring people to post fake reviews of their service?

Piss one customer off and they go on a crusade.
    So say you got one disgruntled customer. That customer will probably hit up every review site on the net to tell them about how bad your hosting service is. Now...this explains why all the reviews are negative. But how can it be possible for the top providers to keep a 50:50, when on my review site all the reviews are negative and not one single positive one?

What do you all think about the topic?
    Download my eBook + Videos: Starting your own successful web hosting company.
    Learn from a web host with 7 years of experience.

Huge marketing budgets have that effect.

Not all of them are BS but a vast majority of them are... There are only a couple of reputable places such as here on WHT and on WHB.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

The fact is, when a service works as it should, consumers rarely feel the need to leave positive feedback. After all, they're getting the service they're paying for - what's so special about that? It's to be expected after all.

When they don't get the service though, like you say - they're way more inclined to inform others of their lack of service and what they disliked about it. It's human nature really, we love to complain

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Not all of them are BS but a vast majority of them are... There are only a couple of reputable places such as here on WHT and on WHB.
    When the scales are tipping 75%+ BS, then its pretty much all. Because statistically, almost all you will find are those BS reviews.

WHT is great because garbage does not last here, they call you out, and chop you down if you are garbage. So be on your best behavior, and provide quality services!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTrike View Post
    When the scales are tipping 75%+ BS, then its pretty much all. Because statistically, almost all you will find are those BS reviews.

WHT is great because garbage does not last here, they call you out, and chop you down if you are garbage. So be on your best behavior, and provide quality services!
    If it's not 100% then it's not "all" - I tend to be a very literal type of person

Now "most" would certainly apply... even "almost all"

It seems now I'm just being picky rofl.

If it's not 100% then it's not "all" - I tend to be a very literal type of person

Now "most" would certainly apply... even "almost all"

It seems now I'm just being picky rofl.
    Pick yes, and yes it is a technicality. But again statistically people are likely to hit up all BS sites and never see a legit review based on the amount of BS out there. Then again they could see all negative reviews and never see the BS ones. Statistics are silly that way, there are thousands of factors that would determine what that user sees. Where they live, what their internet speed is, hell even if they have a cold or flu could influence the statistics. But that's a whole other ball game getting into that crap.

I was just taking a stand in saying all, because it has to end somewhere. WHT is the place to call them out, so I always push people here, because real people with real experiences are heard. And the garbage gets taken to the curb on a daily basis. So... WHT FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by JulesR View Post
    The fact is, when a service works as it should, consumers rarely feel the need to leave positive feedback. After all, they're getting the service they're paying for - what's so special about that? It's to be expected after all.

When they don't get the service though, like you say - they're way more inclined to inform others of their lack of service and what they disliked about it. It's human nature really, we love to complain
    Exactly. If you go to any car forum for example and see what users are experiencing, most of the experiences posted are negative, because people who've had good experiences cant be bothered to post. Using review sites is not at all an accurate portrayal of the host.

I just logged in to check my comments...and every single review that people submitted where bad reviews. Not one single good one.
    I think that would put a question mark on the very concept of reviews. These big hosts do have their following, their customers that find the price/quality ratio decent enough to warrant renewing their accounts. These hosts wouldn't be around if that didn't happen. If all that surfaces are the negative reviews, then the reviews are utterly unreliable as a decision helper.
    Last edited by ldcdc; 08-11-2009 at 05:00 PM.

The discussion so far is great but has everyone forgot the fact it's not hard to get good reviews?

- Make mention of leaving a testimonial in welcome emails
    - Link to review websites in your control panel
    - Mention to cleints "have you left a testimonial yet?"

That would explain all the good reviews. If you show the client, they'll likely leave a review. I NEVER had an issue getting reviews when we did hosting.

As for the directories, yeah, they're crap. I ran one a few years back and it was disgusting how easy I could generate $600 / month in advertising. Rather shady stuff. I sold it off and never looked back at those types of websites.

What about the GOOD GUYS? Are there any?

Just our of curiosity, where?
    Cody R.
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly Serving websites since 2004.
    Let's Encrypt Sponsor.

By design WHT is a forum to discuss all issues of web hosting. WHT has no resemblance to any of the canned FAKE top ten "web hosting review" sites. You are comparing oranges to orang-utans.

Have to agree with the OP. Basically happy customers don't write reviews. Most positive reviews are from the hosts themselves or paid for (not just in $).

Disgruntled clients (the type how never spend enough money but have lots of spare time) are the ones who write reviews.

I have to say that forum members also are the ones who tend to write reviews. Sorry guys but forum members typically make for the worst clients.

When you see affiliate links next to those reviews, close current Tab.

Not all the review sites are BS, but mostly are, and I'm pretty sure that some big host companies pay to people to keep their names visible, not necesarily writing a good review, I see a patern (on this forum) on where somebody write a bad review of X host but you can clearly see that is the user fault, then some other (maybe some paid, but mostly not) jump over the thread to defend the host and they get their name cleared on the same thread.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Not all the review sites are BS, but mostly are
    Mostly all the ones that I have come across and a majority of them also being on WHT have been totally BS, Filled with affiliate links and false reviews just to make a extra bug and land you in the S**t Heap

*Sighs* You may be right, Though I am yet to believe one.

-Sean
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) • Shared • Reseller • Cloud VPS • Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider • Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM • R1Soft Backups • 24/7/365 Support • 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com • Customer Service Rep. • Superior Service Guarantee

Quote Originally Posted by CodyRo View Post
    WHT is a pretty good place but it's not a "review site".

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPenguin View Post
    By design WHT is a forum to discuss all issues of web hosting. WHT has no resemblance to any of the canned FAKE top ten "web hosting review" sites. You are comparing oranges to orang-utans.
    I understand ... one example would be http://whreviews.com/ but I don't believe that users can submit their own reviews.

As for WHT and the Canned Top 10 sites being the same - I know - I was just saying that you can find reputable reviews here I wasn't so much comparing them as much as simply making a statement.

Not all are BS, I mean soon I'll start compiling my data for a 5 year review of my host. It won't be BS, or have an affiliate link. I can't even link my own site due to content, but I shall review nonetheless because I contribute when I can. I have 1 and 3 year reviews if you dig enough in my post history which I might link. Either way there has been an increase in shills, and we all know school is out.

Sadly, when kids aren't in schools they make up a "webhost" and spam good reviews with one hit wonders and disappear once they make the money they need for that new ipod, console, or game.
    WHT is now used as the Universal Hosting Helpdesk.

WHT is a pretty good place but it's not a "review site".

I understand ... one example would be http://whreviews.com/ but I don't believe that users can submit their own reviews.

As for WHT and the Canned Top 10 sites being the same - I know - I was just saying that you can find reputable reviews here I wasn't so much comparing them as much as simply making a statement.
    This isn't a review site

While I respect whreviews only because I've seen posts of his stuff here, that is a VERY poor example of a unbiased review site. It's possibly more biased since it's a single persons point of view...
    Cody R.
    Let's Encrypt Sponsor.

This isn't a review site
    I didn't say it was - I was just saying that reviews that are legitimate *can* be found here is all. No need to put more words into my mouth

While I respect whreviews only because I've seen posts of his stuff here, that is a VERY poor example of a unbiased review site. It's possibly more biased since it's a single persons point of view...
    I never said it was unbiased - I was saying that it wasn't totally BS

You can't adapt what I am saying to what you want it to mean so that you can make a counter-statement... It doesn't make sense

Most of them can be called BS or at least the ones that have commission attached. Of course reviews on 3rd party sites can also lie if the person just flat outright hates the company or competition tries to mudsling / smear their competition.
    #---.#---###### | Host Mist LLC - Helping People Say Hello World™
    #---.#---#--#--# || Shared, Reseller, Master Reseller, VPS, Dedicated
    ####---#--#--# }| Featuring multiple locations across the US & Germany.
    #---#---#--#--# #| Connecting the world through web hosting.

I didn't say it was - I was just saying that reviews that are legitimate *can* be found here is all. No need to put more words into my mouth

I never said it was unbiased - I was saying that it wasn't totally BS

You can't adapt what I am saying to what you want it to mean so that you can make a counter-statement... It doesn't make sense
    Considering the OP was mentioning review sites, and you said not all are "BS" I was under the impression you were referring to .. well review sites. Not here.

So what's the difference between a review site that is "BS" and one that is not "BS"? Now after that - find me one of the latter

It's hard to twist words when you use the quote button, and back pedaling doesn't help.
    Cody R.
    Let's Encrypt Sponsor.

No, is not, is a recompilation of WHT threads, this is not Dan's point of view about any of the hosts listed there, but what he found searching for "honest hosts" in WHT awhile ago.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I can't point to any single site but there is no way that you can say with 100% certainty that every single review site on the internet concerning hosting is BS. While saying "MOST" or "ALMOST ALL" could be considered an accurate statement saying that 100% of them are BS is an over-generalization. This is all I was trying to say.

This isn't a review site
    I should have been more clear, I didn't realize that my post was going to be nit-picked to death. I simply made the statement that there has to be at least one review site out there that isn't BS but I didn't provide evidence to back it up and then I made a totally separate somewhat related statement that WHT is a good place to find reviews... I didn't say that WHT was a review site however - that was an inference that you made but it's an understandable inference due to the topic of the thread overall.

I guess it depends on what you consider "BS" as I didn't equate "BS" to "biased" as much as I equated "BS" to "lacking any credibility"...

Considering the OP was mentioning review sites, and you said not all are "BS" I was under the impression you were referring to .. well review sites. Not here.
    Yes, I could have written two pages instead of a few short statements so that it would have been more difficult to nitpick my statements.

So what's the difference between a review site that is "BS" and one that is not "BS"? Now after that - find me one of the latter
    Whether or not a review site is BS would depend on whether the content was fake or not... Now even "legitimate" review sites are bound to have some fake content as providers submit reviews of their own services just as here on WHT (yes, I know it's not a review site) there are bound to be a few fake reviews that have "slipped through the cracks". However I wouldn't label a review site that makes an attempt at being legitimate but has some fake content that is user-posted as BS any more than I would label a "BS" review site that happens to have some genuine user-submitted content as legitimate either. This is simply how I see things and your opinions may differ.

It's hard to twist words when you use the quote button, and back pedaling doesn't help.
    I've not done any back pedaling... You are nitpicking my posts and adding in words... As an example I never said that WHT was a review site and I never said that whreviews.com was unbiased.

You're welcome to nitpick this response as well, more power to you. A reasonable individual would likely understand what I was trying to say without me having to clarify it as extensively as I have just now done.

Those who are satisfied with their web hosting service probably dont have time to post on review web site.
    Review sites are just affiliates, look at the links and check your cookies after clicking on one.
    If someone is looking for a web hosting provider than he should definitely search just web hosting forums, not review sites.

There's not one review that isn't biased. If it's written by a person it'll bear that person's mark/preferences/standards. If that sort of bias makes a review BS, then all reviews and anything built on or around them is BS. But I say it just makes reviews imperfect.

Review sites are just affiliates, look at the links and check your cookies after clicking on one.
    Sometimes you should look at your cookies even if you didn't click on anything. You can't really defend yourself against cookie stuffing (unless you disable cookies that is), and it's happening even at review sites that I'd consider to be at least somewhat credible.

Now even "legitimate" review sites are bound to have some fake content as providers submit reviews of their own services just as here on WHT (yes, I know it's not a review site) there are bound to be a few fake reviews that have "slipped through the cracks".
    Most certainly. There's no perfect system and if a host really wants to, a fake review can pass all possible verifications.

If someone is looking for a web hosting provider than he should definitely search just web hosting forums, not review sites.
    I'd change that to well moderated forums. Sadly, there are hosting forums out there that are overrun by undiscovered shills.
    Last edited by ldcdc; 08-12-2009 at 10:14 AM.

To the OP,

Yes you are correct, most of them are and almost all web hosters posting in this *web hosting* forum know that. You are discussing something that your competition already knows and probably wouldn't care about if it brought them a lot of new sales. Since its an open market and there is little control, just do what the romans do and get in there...earn your part..

Even after some fishiness with his own host (Fused Networks) being amongst the top rated hosts on the site, I have always been under the impression that HostJury is a somewhat reliable source for reviews.

I could be wrong though.

Dave

Does anyone know of a web hosting review site that isn't getting bank off the web hosts they review? Some of these reviews I see, even seem like the website owner themself is going in and posting fake reviews to increase conversion rate so they land the affiliate sale right then and there.

I have yet to come across a review site that is not driven by affiliate sales.

I wasn't referring to WHT about being all fake reviews. In fact, I always tell people to check out WHT instead of any review site for the most unbiased reviews. But even still, I have seen plenty of fake reviews on WHT - whether from friends of the host, the host themselves, or a customer they are giving incentive to leave a review here.
    Download my eBook + Videos: Starting your own successful web hosting company.
    Learn from a web host with 7 years of experience.

Web hosting review sites aren't BS. The providers that go around posting fake reviews and sites that allow them to propagate are BS. There's nothing inherently wrong with review sites themselves but without strict filtering they become platforms for abuse -- no different than any website can. Consider the fact that if WHT didn't have as decent auditors as it does: It'd quickly become the equivalent within hours.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused — For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

The only two I've ever paid any attention to are HostJury and WHReviews. I take all reviews with a grain of salt. Consider also moderator verified reviews on WHT.
    ProlimeHost- Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
    Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On Site Engineers

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-Hostirian View Post
    I take all reviews with a grain of salt.
    Exactly. Do your own research and get the opinions of people you know and trust.

People are a lot more likely to leave negative reviews than positive. Also, 8 out of 10 negative reviews are the user's fault and not the web host's fault. I know there are some sketchy web hosts out there, but for the most part, they are honest. It isn't the web host's fault if people don't pay their bills or read their TOS. I always properly research a web host before doing business with them. There is no such thing as "unlimited disk space." A 1TB shelf of disk drives, in a data center, costs about $10,000. How about when someone installs a script that never closes and messes up 200 other people's websites.... Not a warning, a suspension and a boot...
    Affordable, Hassle-Free Web Hosting - Rated Top Web Host of the year! All packages include Free Professional Website Builder!
    On Sale Now!
    Top Rated Web Hosting

Thanks Biggunn for providing the perfect example of the total BS fake web hosting review site in your sig.

The Number 1 Web Host Review!
    Looking at where your site is hosted through domaintools whois shows it to be hosted a Dreamhost which is not even listed on your "top ten" list review site.

Quote Originally Posted by biggunn View Post
    There is no such thing as "unlimited disk space." A 1TB shelf of disk drives, in a data center, costs about $10,000. ...
    Web host reviewers should learn a little about hosting. "Unlimited disk space" simply means "no artificial quota," not "unlimited number of hard drives" as you suggest. A site suitable for a shared server will receive all the disk space necessary to support such a site.

And I am sure you realize that all your top hosts offer unlimited disk space?

Hosting review sites are all BS
    not all of them...just about 99% of them.

owm
    ‹(•Ώ•
    Life's what you make it.

On another note, we just snagged yet another client due to "unlimited + slow" from godaddy. Upon a Reverse IP Domain Check on the server they are on, which we are currently moving them from. There is an INSANE amount of domains on a single server, even if 50% are not being used its still an insane number. Even if you have had that 50% on a server with Dual Quad Core Nehalem's 32GB of RAM and RAID10 SAS drives it's still way too much. I know this is not true in all cases, but the big guys can get away with more abuse because they are well... big and don't always have to care. I mean what's a little loss if you have a steady stream coming in?

On another note, we just snagged yet another client due to "unlimited + slow" from godaddy. Upon a Reverse IP Domain Check on the server they are on, which we are currently moving them from. There is an INSANE amount of domains on a single server, even if 50% are not being used its still an insane number. Even if you have had that 50% on a server with Dual Quad Core Nehalem's 32GB of RAM and RAID10 SAS drives it's still way too much. I know this is not true in all cases, but the big guys can get away with more abuse because they are well... big and don't always have to care. I mean what's a little loss if you have a steady stream coming in?
    Ever hear of a load balancer?
    David
    Web hosting by Fused — For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Ever hear of a load balancer?
    I have, but its not my network/servers/clients who are not being managed properly. Forward that to them, not me, if they do have it. Its broken!

An example would be the last three days hoping it would clear up with a "fresh" zen cart install. Changing settings in the admin area took 30-45 seconds for each setting. Where it would normally take a couple of seconds.

EDIT: This is also not an isolated incident, its a constant problem with them. Maybe it's because they have so many servers and some of them are not being properly monitored for performance. I'll never know, I just know that I've seen many people unhappy. Then again I have seen people satisfied with godaddy. Also their control panel is not very exciting either.
    Last edited by MikeTrike; 08-14-2009 at 09:26 AM.

On another note, we just snagged yet another client due to "unlimited + slow" from godaddy. Upon a Reverse IP Domain Check on the server they are on, which we are currently moving them from. There is an INSANE amount of domains on a single server
    Not onloy is that explained by load balancing, your query only tells you how many dns entries there are for a single IP. Says nothing about how many of those name are on a web server

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast