Website loads up blank page sometimes

So when I go to my site at thegamesanctum.com sometimes it loads a blank page and I have to refresh a few times. Its not my ISP as normal sites like this one load fine. My domain is with godaddy and I bought it a few days ago. Any idea on the problem?

Based on experience, here are some of the reasons:

1) The PHP code fails mid-way through rendering the page server-side so it crashes returning null headers back to the client browser
    2) The server your website is running on has no memory left to process the request (intermittent)
    3) Your website is running on non-server hardware that doesn't have ECC RAM and/or production grade CPUs (Ex: Xeon). So every time there's memory corruption or bad bits the apache process fails midway

I'm sure there are other reasons but this is all I can think of right now. One will need to take a look at server health and logs at the console.

Regards
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    [ cPanel Varnish Nginx Plugin ] - Enhance LiteSpeed and Apache Performance
    www.unixy.net - Los Angeles | Houston | Atlanta | Rotterdam
    Love to help pro bono (time permitting). joe > unixy.net

I've used this host for various websites before and never had a problem? Could it be the domain?

The problem isn't your domain, web host or your ISP. It's your HTML/script.

It appears it's loading a web site with images, then a few seconds later a phpBB forum loaded.

Do you want the first web page of http://www.thegamesanctum.com to load a web site or forum?

Maybe you intended to install the forum in it's own directory like thegamesanctum.com/forum ???
    What's your budget?

Seriously, what's your budget?

I dont know if its just me but the website loads really slow. So im thinking its the server or Maybe its the dns. Its wasnt set up right?

Quote Originally Posted by endrien View Post
    I've used this host for various websites before and never had a problem? Could it be the domain?
    A bit unlikely. A premature header can return a blank page. Domain resolution issues return crude errors. Are you hosting similar pages on the same server as the one this domain is hosted? Maybe you could ask for your domain to be moved elsewhere. Perhaps the forum code has bugs. Can't tell for sure without taking a look.

Did you ask your provider to investigate?

Regards
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    [ cPanel Varnish Nginx Plugin ] - Enhance LiteSpeed and Apache Performance
    www.unixy.net - Los Angeles | Houston | Atlanta | Rotterdam
    Love to help pro bono (time permitting). joe > unixy.net

Quote Originally Posted by UNIXy View Post
    Based on experience, here are some of the reasons:

1) The PHP code fails mid-way through rendering the page server-side so it crashes returning null headers back to the client browser
    2) The server your website is running on has no memory left to process the request (intermittent)
    3) Your website is running on non-server hardware that doesn't have ECC RAM and/or production grade CPUs (Ex: Xeon). So every time there's memory corruption or bad bits the apache process fails midway

I'm sure there are other reasons but this is all I can think of right now. One will need to take a look at server health and logs at the console.

Regards
    What are the other reasons?

Have you checked the file permissions leading to the files on that page? Sometimes when you upload files it will show file permissions of XXX as opposed to numerical values - this can affect the website from being displayed (as you're literally not giving access to use the files.

Setting these files to 755 for example, could resolve your issue. If you don't know how to do this, open your FTP, select the files or the folders and right click them, go to 'file permissions' or similar and type in 755. Save and close then control + F5 your page.

Make SURE you do not set 755 permissions on files that should be protected. For example, a file that contains your CMS database login information or your users passwords (this file should not be stored in the web root folder anyway!).

Good luck!
    DesignBear.com
    View Portfolio

A trusted WHT member for over 7 years!

Oh and additionally, your post should be here
    DesignBear.com
    View Portfolio

The site is a forum only website. All my files have the correct permissions as far as I know. How could I tell whats wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by endrien View Post
    The site is a forum only website. All my files have the correct permissions as far as I know. How could I tell whats wrong?
    It's very likely that the server is overloaded and not allowing enough memory every time to process the PHP. That's the only issue that I have ever seen that caused intermittent blank pages.

If it happened every time then it could be something such as permissions but being that it's intermittent it's leaning towards overloaded server or hardware on it's way out but imho for those symptoms it's more likely that it's overloaded.

My advice would be to move to a *quality* provider.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Go to your index.html file, open it with dreamweaver, notepad, etc. Go to the end of line 90 after the } and press enter so you create line 91.

Now add in an extra }

You haven't closed off your javascript code (the actual code itself, not the tag) properly. Additionally if that doesn't work, you can check which file permissions you need to set in the instruction manual of your phpBB setup - someone wrote this long manual for a reason!

Good luck
    DesignBear.com
    View Portfolio

Oh and the site is being hosted with Nocster.com (BurstNET Technologies) who from my knowledge don't appear to overload - although of course it should never be ruled out that this could be the case.
    DesignBear.com
    View Portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by idfresh! View Post
    Go to your index.html file, open it with dreamweaver, notepad, etc. Go to the end of line 90 after the } and press enter so you create line 91.

Now add in an extra }

You haven't closed off your javascript code (the actual code itself, not the tag) properly. Additionally if that doesn't work, you can check which file permissions you need to set in the instruction manual of your phpBB setup - someone wrote this long manual for a reason!

Good luck
    There is only index.php, not html. and there is 136 lines in that. Then very ending looks like
    Code:
    // Output page
    page_header($user->lang['INDEX']);

$template->set_filenames(array(
    	'body' => 'index_body.html')
    );

page_footer();

?>

Can you upload a copy of your index.php file anywhere so I can look at it?

edit: infact contact me on one of my messengers, you'll find them in my profile or by using the icons to the right.
    Last edited by DesignBear; 08-11-2009 at 11:24 AM. Reason: adding extra info
    DesignBear.com
    View Portfolio

Yep, I sent you a PM
    Edit: or not? This site doesn't have pm's?
    http://www.mediafire.com/?gyemltht2ti

You don't have PM's until now (you need 5 posts to send a PM and you've just made your 5th)

I'll have a look at the file, but it would be easier for you to add one of my IM's.
    DesignBear.com
    View Portfolio