Standard Web Design Prices

Hello everyone,

I'm wondering are there some "standard web design prices" in designing a web page for clients? Such as $50 per page or $25 per banner or whatever it may be?

Please advise. I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

It all comes down to the quality of the work, and there is no "standard price".

Hmm, can a web page be looked at to determine its worth?

Thanks!

Right, no standard design prices. If you wanted, you could build a site by yourself. Today, there are so many open source projects to help you in doing this.

I have trouble knowing what to charge people. Usually it comes out to $500 for design/implementation of a basic 5-page site.

Think of it as commissioning a painting.

The price can vary wildly as can the quality.

In general with design, you'll get what you pay for.

A slightly easier way to do things might be to pay for an overall design & feel (as a template) then you can create as many 'pages' as you like based on the template.

A web designer preparing a site for my business these days. He will charge me $150 in which he will provide me about 25-30 pages. He refused to add flash in it.. U can take idea from it that how much you should charge or pay.

Thanks

We have standard prices for our Web Design because we realize that clients like it when they can know the cost of a project before hand. It makes spending the money worth much easier for them. We lay out the terms and tell them what they get and what they dont. That way no one is ever taken for a fool. Hope this helps :-)

We have a set base price for a site (between 1 - 7 pages) costing 500 and then things such as custom illustrations, flash, development work etc which are viewed as addon costs.
    Rob - Creative Director
    Peartree Digital Media Solutions & Peartree Hosting Department.
    Providing a range of services from graphic design and XHTML coding to web hosting, VPS and dedicated servers.
    My views and opinions are my own and in no way do they represent the company I work for...

It all depends on how much you are willing to spend. Think of it this way, if you were to design a website. At 50 bucks per page how much work would you actually put into it. We charge around 500 for a full website custom designed, to your specific needs.

Like i said, all depends.
    OC Web Gurus Check Us Out!
    Reliable Hosting | Truly Amazing Designs
    We are a proud member of WHT community since 2007!

Quote Originally Posted by AirJordansHead View Post
    Right, no standard design prices. If you wanted, you could build a site by yourself. Today, there are so many open source projects to help you in doing this.
    FYI, I already built a couple of websites. That's why I started this thread. Thanks anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    We have a set base price for a site (between 1 - 7 pages) costing 500 and then things such as custom illustrations, flash, development work etc which are viewed as addon costs.
    Hmm, how much would that be equivalent to in terms of US dollars?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by funcutter View Post
    A web designer preparing a site for my business these days. He will charge me $150 in which he will provide me about 25-30 pages. He refused to add flash in it.. U can take idea from it that how much you should charge or pay.

Thanks
    Hmm, did he state why he refused to add flash in it?

Alright, here's the website I'm referring to that I made for a client. And would like to have your input as to how much should I charge for the website:

http://www.dansbanners.com/Lawyer-Fitness/home.html

Note I: These pages are temporarily stored under the dansbanners domain. The time will come when these pages will be moved to its own domain.

Note II: Please ignore the contact information. These were changed temporarily for privacy purposes.

Ok, I'd like your input please. I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by dansbanners View Post
    Alright, here's the website I'm referring to that I made for a client. And would like to have your input as to how much should I charge for the website:

http://www.dansbanners.com/Lawyer-Fitness/home.html

Note I: These pages are temporarily stored under the dansbanners domain. The time will come when these pages will be moved to its own domain.

Note II: Please ignore the contact information. These were changed temporarily for privacy purposes.

Ok, I'd like your input please. I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
    I don't mean to be rude, but I'd be ashamed to charge money for free template.
    Web Design and Development by Zealus - Complete business solutions for the web!

Small business blog - small business consulting, company analysis, advisory and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Zealus.com View Post
    I don't mean to be rude, but I'd be ashamed to charge money for free template.
    For the record, these pages were hand made and are not templates.

No offense, I'm certainly no designer, but this is a simple web page that you could get from any free template site, wordpress or joomla theme site, or any other type of CMS theme site. Without your or any other designer's help, this person could find a wordpress theme that looks nearly exactly like that, and be up in running in a matter of minutes. Add some content and in an hour or two, could have a full-blown website.

In order to bring it design-wise, you need to do your homework and truly work and bringing something new to the table, something that will make the site you're working on stand out and pop like no other. I would recommend studying leading web designers to see what their doing, and don't simply copy what you find, but use the knowledge gained from this homework to create your own style.
    hostingDifferent---We're hostingDifferent.
    Premium, Managed and DIY WordPress hosting DONE RIGHT.
    Find out what SERVICE really means!--We're hostingDifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by powerMonster-Scott View Post
    No offense, I'm certainly no designer, but this is a simple web page that you could get from any free template site, wordpress or joomla theme site, or any other type of CMS theme site. Without your or any other designer's help, this person could find a wordpress theme that looks nearly exactly like that, and be up in running in a matter of minutes. Add some content and in an hour or two, could have a full-blown website.

In order to bring it design-wise, you need to do your homework and truly work and bringing something new to the table, something that will make the site you're working on stand out and pop like no other. I would recommend studying leading web designers to see what their doing, and don't simply copy what you find, but use the knowledge gained from this homework to create your own style.
    One reason why the site was designed the way it was, was cause my client didn't ask that much information be added to it.

Anyway, what are some good examples of what you would consider to be leading web designers and some of their work, etc?

Thanks!

I think you have a base for a good website, you just need to work on some graphics for the site to make it look at bit nicer. Also I'd take a look at the colour scheme

I agree Noah is great! But, he is really busy these days.

For the record, these pages were hand made and are not templates.
    Alright, let's say I buy it. In this case I'd be even more ashamed I couldn't just look at something similar and produce anything at least slightly better.

See, web design (despite what most people think of it) is 10% creativity and 90% problem solving. If you just needed a doorway page - that web site will do just fine, but if you want to sell something off of it - you need both creativity and problem solving applied to it.

If I showed you the first web page I have created, you'd probably laughed so hard your chair would fall apart. Nonetheless, everyone has a chance to grow up. I was lucky enough to have people pointing me to my mistakes.
    Web Design and Development by Zealus - Complete business solutions for the web!

Small business blog - small business consulting, company analysis, advisory and more.

RE: <Web site Budget>

Hmm, did he state why he refused to add flash in it?
    Well he refused to add coz n d above budget nobody will provide flash also. Well as i was about to cancel the project he agree to add little bit, means only in banner where there are 4 pictures will change automatically.....

I would pay you $25 for that template. No creativity and no want for me to call that business. That website in its current form will not help his goal at all.

We all start somewhere. I was at your point about 10 years ago
    Check out my new Chrome Extension - Server Admin Tool
    frustratedtech.com - Helpful Server Tech Advice

If it's custom, then great, but it is still only a basic css layout. A simmilar layout can be found HERE.

Pro's:
    • I like that the menu changes color on scroll over.
    • Color scheme is nice, blue's and white, text is also clear, easy to read.

Con's:
    • NO METADATA!
    • home.html should be index.html

I cannot help you with pricing, as it is a choice that you must make on your own. Ask yourself how much you would pay for that site? And in the end, if you are happy with the site, and the client is happy, then price should not be much of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud Above View Post
    I think you have a base for a good website, you just need to work on some graphics for the site to make it look at bit nicer. Also I'd take a look at the colour scheme
    Yes, I agree. I'm more of a web designer, than a graphic designer. Also know more about the programming's, than the graphic designing's, aspect of making a web page.

Speaking of designing graphics, how much would you charge for designing a "Logo" to be used as a header for all pages in a website?

Quote Originally Posted by Zealus.com View Post
    See, web design (despite what most people think of it) is 10% creativity and 90% problem solving. If you just needed a doorway page - that web site will do just fine, but if you want to sell something off of it - you need both creativity and problem solving applied to it.
    Yes, basically it's just an informational page. There'll be no selling or anything to that sort through the website at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey Bear View Post
    Con's:
    • NO METADATA!
    • home.html should be index.html
    Hmm, no METADATA? You mean that some Meta Tags should be included in each page?

As for that "home.html should be index.html", that I knew and already made the change in the final draft for the pages to be transferred to the site's server. But thanks anyway!

Speaking of websites, here's another one of mine that I created for myself and has had for some time:

http://www.dansbanners.com

It's actually a Wordpress' site. But I tweaked the codes to make it look like any other website. It's still a work in progress though.

I would make all sites using a backend of some sort, like a cms or wordpress. It just makes it a lot easier to manage the site as a whole. Even simple sites can benefit from a backend. This way you wouldn't have to code each meta tag into each page as it would be in a header template that the backend would call and voila, it's on every page. Making separate html pages for every page in the site, is old-fashioned in my humble opinion. You'll save a lot of time picking a cms to use and developing your sites around that.

I usually charge about 1300-1600 for a basic website with content, contact forms, nice navigation and a flash animation on the home page.

Clients that spend money on a monthly basis with me get a better deal. Usually around 500-600.

Quote Originally Posted by skullbox View Post
    I usually charge about 1300-1600 for a basic website with content, contact forms, nice navigation and a flash animation on the home page.

Clients that spend money on a monthly basis with me get a better deal. Usually around 500-600.
    Perhaps, could I see some of your work? I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

I would make all sites using a backend of some sort, like a cms or wordpress. It just makes it a lot easier to manage the site as a whole. Even simple sites can benefit from a backend. This way you wouldn't have to code each meta tag into each page as it would be in a header template that the backend would call and voila, it's on every page. Making separate html pages for every page in the site, is old-fashioned in my humble opinion. You'll save a lot of time picking a cms to use and developing your sites around that.
    Kinda like my dansbanners' site which by the way is actually a wordpress site. Hmm, what does "cms" stand for?

Thanks!

Dan,

Skullbox is about right. For a custom, well-built site that includes minor database work and maybe some flash content you'd be looking at around $1000. You get what you pay for in web design. I think that a way you can tell a good designer is when they realize there is value in their work.

Jesse

Quote Originally Posted by AirJordansHead View Post
    Building a website is (often) not a problem, that is true. Building a good website though with an attractive and original layout however, is something else. Good designs require a creative mind and feeling for style and colours. It often is a talent, not a skill you can learn. You can do all Photoshop tutorials, trainings and workshops you can find, it still doesn't make you a good designer.

Now, to answer your question: no, there are no standard prices. It indeed depends on quality and originality. I must add though that prices used on these forums are incredibly low, too low in my opinion.