Choosing a Niche Market?

So, when people are planning to start a web hosting business, they are always recommended to choose a niche market. So are you going to change your site so it markets to a specific market of people?

The way I see it is that if you going to have a marketing campaign, then market to a niche market, however, as for a business on a whole be flexible and suitable to host anything.

Say you specialize in Wordpress hosting and paste than all over your site. What happens if a person wanted to host a Joomla site visits your site? You pretty much missed out on getting a new client. Plus, chances are he/she wasn't even expecting your site to be so specific...

But what are you thoughts?
    Last edited by Andre C; 08-10-2009 at 06:29 PM.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by thecubehost View Post
    So, when people are planning to start a web hosting business, they are always recommended to choose a niche market. So are you going to change your site so it markets to a specific market of people?

The way I see it is that if you going to have a marketing campaign, then market to a niche market, however, as for a business on a whole be flexible and suitable to host anything.

Say you specialize in Wordpress hosting and paste than all over your site. What happens if a person wanted to host a Joomla site visits your site? You pretty much missed out on getting a new client. Plus, chances are he/she wasn't even expecting your site to be so specific...

But what are you thoughts?
    Here is what you do:

Make one parent hosting company - this is your standard hosting service that everyone offers.

Then, make individual websites for each niche you want to target.

So you would make a niche site for Wordpress and another site for Joomla. Each would have a similar template, but modified to attack that particular niche.

You can practically make it a copy and paste job if you use the right template.

Then, simultaneously promote each individual site. Build backlinks to each site, get traffic to each site, etc. If you build authority, you can have your own little network of SERPs power you can distribute to any other web hosting sites you want to boost up.
    Download my eBook + Videos: Starting your own successful web hosting company.
    Learn from a web host with 7 years of experience.

Here is what I thought of a "niche", don't focus on web hosting related niche, instead target the hospitality services in your local area, hotels, motels, travel agencies, restaurants, cafes, etc, etc.

That's your niche and no one is competing with you
    We Have Generated Over 7 Million cPanel Backups Come Dance Together With Us Y'all!
    Offer Your Own Backup Hosting Service - SiteAutoBackup.Com (Private Label / WHMCS Ready)
    WebHostingBusinessBook.Com | YouTube.com/WebHostingTutorial | NowOpenOnline.Com

I decided to focus on local business needs, such as hosting, email and anything of that nature. I must of did a good job, I host around 10 local business websites. One of them being a really popular local football fan forum. By popular I mean 3,000+ visits a day. My business services are also on a "If I want to work with you" basis, I can deny customers left and right and still make enough money to pay the bills. I choose not to do that though!

They all also have "Powered by" lines, and I have around 2 waiting to get a deal struck up as of now.

Once you know your niche, it's not hard to work in it.
    I'm part of the Chicago Breast Cancer 3 Day!
    Because Everyone Deserves a Lifetime.