Joomla Multiple sites hosting- VPS or Shared?

Hi All WHT mates,

I am new to this forum but from the past 2 days I have been very much into this forum. This is a great place. I have some Joomla media sites with tons of Images and Several Videos in it. My requirements are like this:

Disk Space: 6GB Data (10GB Max atleast till next one Year)
    Bandwidth: 50-60GB Per month

I am currently in Shared Server hosting and not at all happy with Joomla site loading speed with more than 15-20 Secs. I am ready to afford a max of $40 per month. I think Rochen is out as Disk space is very low??

Also I am little confused over Hawk Host, Vectorlevel, Medialayer etc Also for Joomla is VPS better than Shared Server hosting?

Please suggets me and let me know if I need to put any more info...

Waiting for the responses...

Thanks in advance,
    Pavan

To be quite hounest, if your having sites with many images and video's, you'd be better on a dedicated server?

Its a little more then your budget, but having 1 will give you the best loading times which is what your are mainly looking for (I think).

I hope it work outs what ever you do.
    Garbott Ltd - Professional web development & consultancy services
    Oxford.Hosting - Prestigious shared, cloud, dedicated and gaming hosting solutions.

Thanks for the quick reply but my sites really are not generating me so much income either and I cant afford Dedicated Host now...

Also guys whats the best VPS choice for Joomla site. Please suggest me. I am in desperate need.

Thanks in advance.

Joomla can be hosted on Shared hosting, but if you plan to have huge website in Joomla than consider moving to dedicated server.

Where about's are you? USA? UK? EUROPE? ASIA?

If you are in the UK, go with HeartInternet. Or go with 1 of the big 1's if you are in the USA?
    Garbott Ltd - Professional web development & consultancy services
    Oxford.Hosting - Prestigious shared, cloud, dedicated and gaming hosting solutions.

Before any suggestions we really need to determine why your sites are loading slowly. If it is simply due to the amount of images/videos and their sizes then chances are it's not going to make much difference where you move the site(s) to.

If it's due to you being on an overloaded/mismanaged server then moving to another better provider will likely alleviate the issue without having to go for a VPS or Dedicated.

What is one of the sites that is loading slow (the domain) so that we can all do some checking before making suggestions?

Who is the current provider and what plan are you on (will help to determine if the service is overloaded)?

I don't see how anybody could make suggestions without knowing any of this information as I have seen Joomla sites FLY on regular shared hosting and when it was too busy for regular shared semi-dedicated was a better option and cheaper than a VPS and still fully managed imho.

Answer the questions and you will get better help
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Mike is correct. You have to investigate and determine the actual cause of the slow loading. It may be some modules, coding, databese, web, etc, in which case changing servers won't help. One way to do this is to get a shared account at another host, upload a copy of site/database and try it there (you don't need to change dns -- if you need help with that part let me know). It will only cost you a month of hosting.

Joomla with low to moderate traffic runs fine in a shared environment
    Last edited by Collabora; 08-10-2009 at 10:39 AM.

Thnks a ton for the quick replies.. I am sorry forgot mentioning I am from India (ASIA). Also the target audience mostly use low to medium speed broadband connections and I think I need atleast 5 posts to post a url so lets continue the discussion further.

Thanks in advance,
    Pavan.

I am hosting on IXWEBHOSTING. For another website which is is a simple website and is loading with great speeds but all my joomla sites are slow.

Also many sites got hacked couple of times (Luckily were some demo sites). Also some times my sites were down without any prior intimation ofcourse believe me control panel itself dint open sometimes( Not taking that into serious consideration though). If I am wrong anywhere please excuse but I am just sharing my views. Any other info needed, please let me know. Please share ur views.

Quote Originally Posted by vishnuuu View Post
    Thnks a ton for the quick replies.. I am sorry forgot mentioning I am from India (ASIA). Also the target audience mostly use low to medium speed broadband connections and I think I need atleast 5 posts to post a url so lets continue the discussion further.

Thanks in advance,
    Pavan.
    You can just post it like "domain . com" or something similar - the rule doesn't say you can't post a domain just that you cannot post an active link.

It's like I said - if the issue is not actually the provider then changing providers is not going to help.

where is your current shared host located?

the combination of location + amount of images/videos could be the result of the extreme slow loads. and as others said if the site is the problem, then moving it to even a Dedicated won't help if the site's location and content doesn't change.

Are the images stored on the Database? does the site run queries every time that an image is displayed?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

one same site is masti1 . choiceofyouth .com though this is not the original one.. Just gave for example. As I told you, visitors use low broadband connections. I just gave an untouched template which I am going to use now for building a new site of mine. Should launch in a week from now.

www.masti1.choiceofyouth.com is a joomla site and I used a Rockettheme template here as you can see. I have to load images of size approx 1GB and videos 1Gb etc into this site now. Also I have not included any modules etc till now. So if its taking this much time now donno whts goign to happen after loading all the data. So is the mistake on my side or server side?? I am Confused!

I also have www.kannatechnologies.com hosted which is a very simple site and I dont have issues with such sites they r very fast. But joomla sites r my issue.

www.masti1.choiceofyouth.com is a joomla site and I used a Rockettheme template here as you can see. I have to load images of size approx 1GB and videos 1Gb etc into this site now. Also I have not included any modules etc till now. So if its taking this much time now donno whts goign to happen after loading all the data. So is the mistake on my side or server side?? I am Confused!
    Conisdering that -- I think it looks and runs great from here (Los Angeles)

Ok... Its taking more than 10 sec atleast here... I use a high speed connection which I cant expect from most of the users. Also the server is located in US? Is that also an issue? Not sure...

Also as you would have seen the site.. Suggest me what I can do? Tuning need to be done or problem with host?

takes about 5 seconds to load from where I am (NYC) - and after browser has the page cached, takes about 2-3 seconds which isn't too bad.

Okieee! But here its easily taking more than 12-15 seconds for sure.. Your speeds are high there.

Without Cache I get just under 8 seconds load time:
    http://www.screen-shot.net/ss/28613499492214714899.png

With Cache (such as on a regular reload) I get about 3.19 seconds:
    http://www.screen-shot.net/ss/27479330105743192016.png

Navigating to a sub-page I get around 2.24s:
    http://www.screen-shot.net/ss/15798312101621705660.png

This is on a 10megabit connection.

The fact that you are in India and the servers are in the middle of the US can account for the slowness you are experiencing.

From what I've read until now I would say that it is better for you to find a low cost VPS hosting account and to move your sites on the VPS. However before purchasing and migrating any sites, I would suggest you to learn something abut VPS and virtualization in general. This will help you to make an informed decision. It is a good idea to search for customer reviews and to speak to web hosts representatives before sign up. And one more thing, the best you can do is to choose a company which targets your market (india). I presume that you don;t care about 24x7 U.S. toll-free phone support, but at the same time you need someone to respond promptly on your support tickets.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

It took 15.95 seconds to load here (no caching), but I can't say I'm too surprised given that there are about 150 files to load, and by default I think browsers don't download more than 2 files from the same host.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    It took 15.95 seconds to load here (no caching), but I can't say I'm too surprised given that there are about 150 files to load, and by default I think browsers don't download more than 2 files from the same host.
    It varies and depends on the browser and the version... If the server supports keep-alive you can very easily download 30~300 items with one connection fairly quickly however if keep-alive is off then most browsers will only do between 1~16 simultaneous downloads.

hi all... Sorry for the late resposnse..... Ya may be the server location.... But I dont think all Indians hosting Indian Servers I think mysql hosts are overloaded for sure.... VPS in IXWEBHOSTING is very expensive si I have rule it out..

15.95 secs... yes thts my problem too.... Where r u from idcdc? Its like hell for people opening page for 1st time. Then caching is fine... But thts not wht I have to think abt right?

Guys will VPS be a better option or tuning is the option. BUt I dont think with templates like this, I cant compromise on look n feel as you can see the template is looking good.

Doesn't seem to load very slow from my end. However location and internet connection may play a part in your end.

Since they are located in the central US location, have you ever considered West coast instead? The best solution that I can think of is for you to move to an Asian provider, if possible Indian based and as such location should not affect the loading speed.
    Aspiration Hosting [US UK SG AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo

Web Development Support Unmetered Bandwidth Aspiration CDN Magento Optimized

Guys any specific suggestion or solution? Will VPS give better results? Is it worth giving a try? If yes please tell in specific some good VPS hosts in the range $30 -$40 per month. Please....

Is my website size big? Are joomla sites slow like this on shared servers? I am getting confused!!!!!

Are joomla sites slow like this on shared servers? I am getting confused!!!!!
    Depends on what your Joomla site consumes, How much CPU/RAM it utilies etc. If you were the only person on that server, performance wise it'd do quite well.

If your Joomla site was packed onto a server with 500 other people running sites/forums the performance willm lag to a degree or quite a bit.

I cannot see why a Shared Host would not be capable of the Forum, Do you know how to manage and maintain a VPS?

Sean
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

No I never hosted on a VPS till now... Is managing VPS completely different and also difficult? Please give me some info... I am basically a Database Administrator (Oracle).

Also is it worth trying a one month shared hosting on Hostgator or some other good shared host who dont oversell? or all hosting companies oversell their Shared hosted servers?

No I never hosted on a VPS till now... Is managing VPS completely different and also difficult? Please give me some info... I am basically a Database Administrator (Oracle).

Also is it worth trying a one month shared hosting on Hostgator or some other good shared host who dont oversell? or all hosting companies oversell their Shared hosted servers?
    Overselling (on shared hosting servers) is accepted standard practice. Do the math and you'll see that overselling is required to make a profit while offering reasonable prices. Overselling, done right, is invisible to customer.

No I never hosted on a VPS till now
    So you are currently on a VPS?

Is managing VPS completely different and also difficult?
    A managed VPS means it is managed, But you need to overally maintain and understand 'terms' when problems arise, Usually you can get support via the Webhost.

Please give me some info...
    Will give it a try...

Also is it worth trying a one month shared hosting on Hostgator
    Personally I would avoid such service if you are currently using such resources, I could say that your performance would ditch, But I did have a pretty good experience with hostgator with a normal static website.

or some other good shared host who dont oversell?
    Basically Hostgator Oversell...

or all hosting companies oversell their Shared hosted servers?
    All other Webhosts oversell in one way or another, Sometimes it can be quite hard to really know which do and don't!

Sean
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

Reading this whole thread i can't help but feeling that your issue is an latency issue and not directly a host issue; meaning you could do some optimization of your site to see if this helps.

Moving to a VPS wont bring you anywhere to a solution if the path to the VPS server has as much latency as your current host; unless you choose to host in your own region.

What solutions to you have:

- Enable gzip.
    - Combine css files to one.
    - optimize .js files.
    - fins a host which is closer to your location.
    - serve .css .js and other static files from a CDN.

If the host is the issue (but find it unlikely reading this thread); and you want more power to your site; you may want to look into Semi-Dedicated servers, that is if you are worried about the amount of server management of a unmanaged VPS.

Although choosing for a managed VPS is an option; you will need to check what kind of management they offer; some only offer reactive support, which means you as customer will need to tell them what to do, this may sound easy, but can get a frustrating endeavour when the otherside does not completely understand you, or you have a hard time to explain the issue.

Hope this post helps you.
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

Where r u from idcdc?
    I'm in Eastern Europe, Romania.

I changed my host to HOSTGATOR! I think its performing much better now...

I think its performing much better
    May this last indefinitely! Keep us updated.

Yea, runs great for me as well. (Orange County/Chrome Browser)

This site is loading great in India(Delhi) too. I am on Airtel 8 MBPS connection. I don't think uploading 1 GB of data is going to make any difference to the server. Its the simultaneous number of users on a website which does make a difference in the speed of browsing, but then if you are on a high-speed internet, this difference is negligible.

If you think you are going to have a fair amount of visitors (>2500) per day on your site, then considering a VPS is a good Idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    Yea, runs great for me as well. (Orange County/Chrome Browser)
    I have not checked using "chrome" browser. Thanks for the info.

I think HOSTGATOR is doing gr8 as of now.. I was able to move 2 domains within 12 Hours.

The speed is very good as of now... I think there is no comparision even.. Stay tuned with the updates... The site is going to be up in a week. So I think this thread is more useful when the visitors begin. I will be updating it when users increase week by week.

joomla very load on server when have more content. i think if you use share hosts maybe problem with another sites . sometimes hosting provider will let you upgrade to VPS or dedicated Server bcoz it's effect on cpu/memory of server . finally if you not concern about cost. dedicated server or cheap dedicated will be your solutions

<<<signatures to be set up in your profile>>>
    Last edited by bear; 08-16-2009 at 09:16 AM.

Joomla really doesn't load a server very much if setup correct; and any thirdparty modules are written correctly. I have seen one of our clients sites got digged on a shared server without many issues. (server kept responsive; although we disabled one thirdparty module which was inefficient with its db queries and didnt obey the Joomla cache.

Quote Originally Posted by 040Hosting View Post
    Joomla really doesn't load a server very much if setup correct; and any thirdparty modules are written correctly. I have seen one of our clients sites got digged on a shared server without many issues. (server kept responsive; although we disabled one thirdparty module which was inefficient with its db queries and didnt obey the Joomla cache.
    I thought it was when that Google Knol thing happened, unless I'm thinking of another time?